heating the back of the boat

DeanS

Featured Posts

I have an engine room with a Lister SR3 in it.

I've changed the air vent piping so it can be disconnected from the roof holes when the boat isnt in use, and they tuck away, and a wooden deck is erected in about 5mins, which covers the engine, and makes a living space..(we've carpeted it, with a japanese lantern light, and painted the engine room walls "fruits of the forest". It's converted the engine room into a living space, whenever the boat isnt cruising for substantial periods.

Thinking about winter, I'm wondering if there is a cheap stove I can put into this area, and pipe it up through the old air vent holes. I dont have money for radiator arrangements etc, and although the solid fuel stove up the front of the 57ft boat has the pipework for a back boiler etc, that wont really do much for the engine room, and our bedroom behind it. I'll need to seal the hatch doors better to stop the cold air coming in, but the engine room isnt insulated. An ecofan could blow hot air..and we may get one too.... but sometimes the passage door is closed...for noise management.(we dont want to hear the kids all day, and they dont want to hear my snoring all night)

I just thought a small firepit with a chimney of some sort would be an idea?

On another note, the engine room does have a hot water pipe running to it (with a blank). The water is instantly heated by a gas burner in the galley. Is there a way to use hot water to heat a room....?

Lastly...emptying the ash from the fire is a bit of a job. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do it, keeping the ash indoors somehow, so you dont have to take it out (and let the cold in again) so often. (Would an ash bucket with a lid work?)

What the %^&*&^% is that?

It's a solid fuel stove made for the cost of a gas bottle. Most have a sealed chimney and proper ducting. Almost free.

Here's your starter for ten...

Edited by NB Alnwick

These things hold very little and cost a lot. I bought a galvanised bucket and painted it black with stove paint.

Don't keep your ash in the boat after you remove it from the fire, it can give off lots of fumes for several hours. Don't even keep it under the cratch cover, see clicky

Hmmm... I like to keep mine indoors so I get the benefit of the remaining heat. It also stops the ash getting all wet. I doubt there is much unburned material in the ash as compared with a BBQ. Also there is much more ventilation in a boat. And I have never had any sense of less than normal air quality.

These things hold very little and cost a lot. I bought a galvanised bucket and painted it black with stove paint.

Lasts us several days, quite deceiving the amount they hold and they do a larger version + being rectangular they take up much less space, found ours really practical.

Don't keep your ash in the boat after you remove it from the fire, it can give off lots of fumes for several hours. Don't even keep it under the cratch cover, see clicky

I second that.

I cleaned my fire out last year...and used the spare ash pan.

The one I took out...just APPEARED lukewarm....BUT..there were still some glowing particles right in the middle.

I put it under the stove to fully cool.

A short time later...my carbon monoxide detectors went off indicating dangerous levels.

I think...if we had not had the detectors...and been alerted..I would not be here to type this.

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I cleaned my fire out last year...and used the spare ash pan.

The one I took out...just APPEARED lukewarm....BUT..there were still some glowing particles right in the middle.

Always empty the ashpan before you poke or agitate the fire.

Apart from the stolen gas bottle.

Indeed. Note that my post has been edited, not by me. It did, originally, make sense. The original part in the post about the pikeys having knicked it to start with was deleted by Graham following a complaint from some poof who said it was racist.

Watch this one get edited too :)

Edited by Gibbo
Gibbo is being very norty
  • Greenie 4

Apart from the stolen gas bottle.

Judging by the number of bottles I see strewn about the place I don't think the owners of gas bottles give a damn!

Interestingly whilst gas compnies require you to pay a 'deposit' on a bottle, they won't reapy the deposit on a bottle if you don't have the original receipt.

The word "Pikey" has, yet again, been edited from my post.

If it happens again then I resign. I will not be back. At all. It's utterly ridiculous. This forum is now owned by a bunch of PC poofs.

Complete joke. Last chance.

PIKEYS nick things. Deal with it.

Gibbo, I Wish I could give you A dozen greenies for the funniest post that i've read on here in months. The tears are still running down my chest.

Shame the PC poofs don't also see it that way.

• Greenie 1

The word "Pikey" has, yet again, been edited from my post.

If it happens again then I resign. I will not be back. At all. It's utterly ridiculous. This forum is now owned by a bunch of PC poofs.

Complete joke. Last chance.

PIKEYS nick things. Deal with it.

Shame the PC poofs don't also see it that way.

If you put the word "some" before your contentious statement you probably would have no problem.

Good tip on the bottle stoves is having left the tap open for a while knock the tap off with a big hammer and fill it with water before starting to cut it.

It needs a big hammer mind, but it's worth it...