Architectural Boat Design

Triumphtone

Featured Posts

Presumably the superstructure of the boat is still connected to the hull with strips of steel between the glass blocks? Even so, I think that would still represent a significantly weakened structure. And as Caprifool says, there's the issue of condensation. Those thick lumps of glass will probably act as thermal bridges conducting heat out and allowing moisture to condense on their cold surfaces. Don't people have this problem on a much smaller scale with bulls eyes and prisms in the roof? Expanding that issue across the entire boat doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The other thing is that the glass will expand and contract at a different rate to the steel so I hope they've used a good flexible sealant to bed them in otherwise there's potential for leaks.

Edited by blackrose

I can understand anyone fitting a few glass blocks in the roof of a boat, where additional natural light would be useful, but to fit a continuous run of them above the gunwhale seems a daft idea. Personally I think the boat looks awful.

Glass blocks are hollow so thermal bridging and condensation is not a major problem. THERMAL TRANSMISSION - Average value = 2.9 W/m2 OC : Single Wall hich is similar to standard double glazed window units.

A thermal bridge can still occur across a hollow object through the solid material from which it's made. In addition these aren't standard glass blocks so probably don't have the average thermal transmission values you quote.

Edited by blackrose

Glass blocks are hollow so thermal bridging and condensation is not a major problem. THERMAL TRANSMISSION - Average value = 2.9 W/m2 OC : Single Wall hich is similar to standard double glazed window units.

They showed them been made in the link, they didn't look hollow.

They showed them been made in the link, they didn't look hollow.

They're not hollow - they're solid glass. And yes, there is steel strip between every block attaching superstructure to hull. And yes, they are bedded in 'marine sealant'.

I got all of that information by actually reading the article.

Tony

Glass blocks are hollow...

Did you bother to actually read the article? They're not hollow.

They're not hollow - they're solid glass. And yes, there is steel strip between every block attaching superstructure to hull. And yes, they are bedded in 'marine sealant'.

I got all of that information by actually reading the article.

Tony

Well aren't you clever!

When I opened the link to read the article I saw the picture but then it told me I had to register to bdonline. Since I wasn't willing to register, I wasn't able to read the whole article and glean all that information.

This is what I get when I click on the link. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/technical/skene-catling-de-la-pe%C3%B1a-designs-glass-band-for-london-canal-boat/5022543.article

Edited by blackrose

When I opened the link to read the article I saw the picture but then it told me I had to register which I wasn't willing to do. So no, I wasn't able to read the whole article.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/technical/skene-catling-de-la-pe%C3%B1a-designs-glass-band-for-london-canal-boat/5022543.article

????

I never registered. Just clicked the link and scrolled down.

Tony

I'm getting this:

Which is odd as I thought I browsed the article yesterday...

Richard

Is it time for my pills again?

No need for the pills it’s the same with me, looked at the article yesterday, today asking me to register.

Having seen the boat a couple of times its not obvious that the panels are glass as they are painted the same colour as the rest of the boat. That’s why I am so surprised that they are glass and look like some sort of representation of battlefield amour plating along with the metal shutters.

It is odd, because I just clicked it again and was able to scroll down it again.

I think that it's odd you're able to see everything without being registered, as I can't get onto it either, and I'm not willing to supply them with my personal details only to get some more information.

If they would show you a dozen photo's and ask you to sign in if you want to know more, fair enough, but this to me is too much.

Peter.

I agree, but I can still access it. Isn't that odd?

Here's the video of the glass block manufacture: http://bcove.me/92a2rkao

Here's the text:

Project Wide-beam narrow boat

Location London

Architect Skene Catling de la Peña

Some 200 glass TV screens have been recycled to create a multi-faceted band which wraps around a wide-beam narrow boat designed by London-based architect Skene Catling de la Peña.

The boat called Intolerance was commissioned by a filmmaker who wanted to use the boat for living in with his two children and travelling on through London’s network of waterways.

The blue-grey blocks or “teeth” form a reflective glazed strip along the gunnels, which reflects and animates images of the canal as the boat moves through the water.

“It could be read as an abstract film strip,” says partner Charlotte Skene Catling.

“Some of the glass has bubbles in it and when looking at the glass from the inside of the boat, it feels like you’re underwater. The reflection through the glass creates a peculiar, almost magical quality of light”.

The 12m-long, 3m-wide boat has been designed to let in maximum light but can also be completely closed up with steel shutters to discourage vandalism when moored in rougher canals.

The architects collaborated with glass innovator Matt Durran to develop the bespoke glass strip. Durran sourced the glass from Manchester-based Nulife Glass - a company that extracts the lead from the glass at the back cathode ray tubes in dissused televisions and computer monitors. The panel glass that forms the screen does not contain lead, and it was this that was used for the boat project.

Here are some pictures:

Skene_Boat_drawings.jpg

More text:

Durran cleaned and broke up the glass before melting it in his bio-fuelled glass furnace in east London. He then used a casting ladle to gather the molten glass and pour it into 70 angled steel moulds to create glass blocks, each 31mm x 21mm and 50mm deep.

Once it had been cast, the surface of the glass was torched to create a smooth even finish and to soften the edges. The cast glass was then placed in a kiln to anneal it.

A lip was built into each mould to enable the glass blocks to be pushed through the framework from the inside of the boat. A marine silica sealant was used to seal the blocks in place.

Another picture:

BOAT_detail_636web.jpg

There, now everyone can read it :)

Tony