River Cam

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, planning on going Newmarket races in September, my question is, where would best/nearest place be to moor, to get there, suppose I could just get train from mooring in Cambridge, but I see there is a tributary going close to newmarket is that navigable. Any knowledgable ideas ? RACE/NB fans...Cheers.

Train from Ely to Newmarket takes about 1hr.

If you're planning a short visit .... I suspect the tributary you're thinking of is Burwell Lode, which ends at, well, Burwell. It is navigable and there's a short stay EA mooring at the end (winding for boats to 55ft IIRC). A quick lookup shows the Number 10 bus runs from Burwell to Newmarket Mon-Sat and takes about 30 mins. The race course is about a mile and a half from the town centre.

Train from Ely to Newmarket takes about 1hr.

If you're planning a short visit .... I suspect the tributary you're thinking of is Burwell Lode, which ends at, well, Burwell. It is navigable and there's a short stay EA mooring at the end (winding for boats to 55ft IIRC). A quick lookup shows the Number 10 bus runs from Burwell to Newmarket Mon-Sat and takes about 30 mins. The race course is about a mile and a half from the town centre.

In 2009 58ft boats could wind there.

• 2 months later...

Because of timings, I ended up mooring just in front of jesus lock,seemed to be last mooring left there so was probably lucky,and got a taxi to newmarket,30 quid.Got last winner at 7to2,but never paid for the day or taxi fare lol.Stayed overnight for two nights, great city.Not keen on the run from salters to great ouse turn ,bit bland , but overall a great trip apart from getting stuck on the grt ouse to earith and having to jump in and push it off against the strong wind,but all part of the fun of boating.ha..