Diesel on the Southern GU and London

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Hi all,

There was a similar post in 2010 about services on the GU but I'm starting a new one to make sure info is up to date. We pass through Northampton and onto the GU on Friday hopefully, and then on to London. Where does diesel at the best prices (aside from the fuel/coal boats which we may or may not have the luck to find)

Thanks!

Amy

If you are lucky you should pass Julia Cook on Towcester, (and sometimes Bideford), who's prices are never bad. She can be anywhere between Braunston and Apsley.

There is also a new fuel boat, Hyperion, which seems to be operating from at least Tring Summit down to Watford, (it was at Cow Roast yesterday, heading South), but I don't know about prices.

I never find anyone at home on Ascot and Beverley, so don't rely on them!

Best "land based" prices are probably the forum's own "Dominic M" at Stowe Hill Wharf. There are many places to avoid, including both Braunston Marina and the Canal Shop at Whilton, where prices are sky high, and particularly Willowtree on the Paddington Arm.

Further South Uxbridge Boat Centre is usually keenly priced, and sometimes discounts a bit more if you are buying a lot. Beware - they don't open Mondays.

You really should aim to be full by then, as after that prices go silly after that, unless you can find a fuel boat like Baron, or Archimedes and Ara.

Best "land based" prices are probably the forum's own "Dominic M" at Stowe Hill Wharf.

But looking at their itinerary they will turn left at Gayton Junction! Could also get held up by the Linslade Festival on Sunday.

But looking at their itinerary they will turn left at Gayton Junction! Could also get held up by the Linslade Festival on Sunday.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

Reading is not always my strongest point!

Ho hum!

Quite likely will not pass Julia either, then.

Guaranteed to not be silly money, if you can last that far then, is Uxbridge Boat Centre, but the "closed on Monday" thing has caught us more than once.

I have never known Linslade to cause much of a hold up - do you know different ? Of course it's possible one of the fuel boats may themselves be heading there, isn't it ?

May be worth going back as far as Fred Tarry,he was only 2p more than Dominic 2 weeks ago

Who's Fred Tarry ?

Is that the strange coal yard type place with a hole through a fence on the offside, just near a bridge ?

Milton Keynes marina

And very near to linslade. Willowbridge Marina both of which are open 7 days a week

Col

Do we ave a telephone directory of fuel boats?

Nick

Do we ave a telephone directory of fuel boats?

Nick

This is available....

Linky

It is, however, only as good as the updates people send in, so, for example, Hyperion just mentioned is not on it.

Unfortunately some of the owners don't seem to like the existence of such a list, (yes honestly! :wacko: ), and I caused some ill-feeling between the list owner and one of those listed the last time I tried to send in a genuine update.

I must admit this has made me rather reticent to continue to try and be helpful.

To be clear the issue is with certain boat owners, not I believe, the list owner (who posts on here).

EDITED TO ADD:

I tried to get the list updated to reflect that Julia Cook now trades south on the GU as far as Apsley, something I have personally confirmed with Julia when she has been down here.

Sadly the list still does not reflect this.....

Winter: Stoke Bruerne, Long Buckby, Braunston

Summer: as above, plus Warwick, Tamworth, Fradley, Staffs & Worcs, Stourport

Milton Keynes marina

And very near to linslade. Willowbridge Marina both of which are open 7 days a week

Col

But what is the price at Willowbridge, please ?

Not long back, it was very pricey indeed!

Edited by alan_fincher