Rules of the river

Featured Posts

Over the last few years i have notice that most boats don't seem to slows down when passing a moored up boat, it was one of the first things i was

told when i got into boating, it may be a unofficial rule but that and the one about running engine/generators after 20:00 hours help make live on the river pleasant.

Are there more unofficial/official rules that some boaters no longer worry about? :cheers:

Are there more unofficial/official rules that some boaters no longer worry about? :cheers:

I haven't seen a thrubble line lowered when thwarting a strum box in years. What is the world coming to

Richard

Over the last few years i have notice that most boats don't seem to slows down when passing a moored up boat, it was one of the first things i was

told when i got into boating, it may be a unofficial rule but that and the one about running engine/generators after 20:00 hours help make live on the river pleasant.

Hello there,

I don't think you'll get far with this one mate.I tried it.I did get some liked minded folk respond,but my personal opinion,by observation,is, most now speed,and make plenty of noise charging batteries, stationary, ect,not very peaceful anymore,i'm afraid.rule or no rule. Regards bizzard.

Hello there,

I don't think you'll get far with this one mate.I tried it.I did get some liked minded folk respond,but my personal opinion,by observation,is, most now speed,and make plenty of noise charging batteries, stationary, ect,not very peaceful anymore,i'm afraid.rule or no rule. Regards bizzard.

You and the OP have clearly not been frequenting this forum for long, then.

Hello there,

maybe i should try it - speed and noise and see if i like it, am sure my boat could do both!!!

It's not that some boaters don't want to follow the guidelines, it's that they haven't bothered to do any research in the first place.

I've been at Stanstead Abbots when a new boater has been there having the boat that they've bought craned in. They didn't even know that they'd need a windlass and a Bw key in order to operate the locks in order to get to Hackney (where they were headed).

So expecting them to know about running gennies after 8, or going at tickover past moored boats, well. You'd be surprised how many don't know this.

It's not that some boaters don't want to follow the guidelines, it's that they haven't bothered to do any research in the first place.

I've been at Stanstead Abbots when a new boater has been there having the boat that they've bought craned in. They didn't even know that they'd need a windlass and a Bw key in order to operate the locks in order to get to Hackney (where they were headed).

So expecting them to know about running gennies after 8, or going at tickover past moored boats, well. You'd be surprised how many don't know this.

It's interesting, hirer's are given tuition / instruction and manuals. As you mention, I suspect many 'privateers' know next to nothing. I'm moored at the top of Aston Lock T&M atm, many more privates are speeding past than hires.