Vetus engines

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi

Opinions please. I am looking at a boat tomorrow for sale. I love all things BETA but this boat has a VETUS :o fitted to it. two questions realy

1/ Are they any good/reliable etc

2/ Are they ALL painted bloody yellow ?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tim

Nothing wrong with Vetus engines, presuming you are talking about the most common M4.12 & M4.17. They are based on Mitsbishi engines and are very reliable. The electrics can be a bit suspect but easily fixed (particularly the starter solenoid relay - replaced for about £5 from Motor world).

Their gearboxes however have a well-deserved reputation for being rubbish. Most Vetus engines are fitted with Technodrive boxes which are probably fine for sea-going boats but are not up to the constant in and out of gear that canal boats are subjected to. The standard drive plate is rubbish too. However Vetus have finally recognised the error of their ways and are fitting Hurth boxes (which are not a lot better in my opinion) and some have been fitted with PRM150s, which is the only sensible solution.

They don't normally have twin alternators either, although the single one fitted in recent years is regulated at 14.2 volts so works quite well.

Vetus seem to use exclusive filters; it's difficult to find proprietary replacements for what should be cheap bits...

Then again, so do Isuzu, 12 and 17 quid for oil/fuel filters :angry:

No problem getting cheap filters for my Isuzu 35.

Have a Vetus 4 cyl in our 1989 boat and up to now it has been fine , runs well is reasonably quiet when on the move and uses no oil at all.On the comments about the gaerbox when we bought the boat it would go into gear with a clunk but since we changed the morse control for a new Vetus item this has improved a lot. this is the second vetus we have had in a boatand both have performed well., also living in Middlewich helps as we have agood supplier of parts nearby

I've had an M4.17 for 6 years, and its been pretty reliably. However, there is a very slight leak from the Technodrive gearbox, and I also get a disturbing clunk when engaging first gear, so I feel less confident about the gearbox.

You can get an equivalent oil filter from any car dealer - I've got the numbers somewhere if you want them.

Hi

Opinions please. I am looking at a boat tomorrow for sale. I love all things BETA but this boat has a VETUS :o fitted to it. two questions realy

Regards

Tim

Stop messing about man....

You know what you really want.......... come over to the dark side :lol:

I've been put off the Vetus since I tried buying a boat which didn't do well in the survey. Mounts were knackered. Electrics were in a right state. Stern gear was the water lubricated type (which is connected to sinking articles on the net).

That's not to say the engine is rubbish, just everything connected to the one I nearly bought. I've got a Beta now...and it all seems to work.

Dave

Mrsmelly has spotted the major problem with them. They're yellow. It's almost as ridiculous as a cassette toilet.

Yellow engines are a GOOD thing.

The owner of a yellow engine sensibly keeps it enclosed beneath the boards, and is not tempted to engage in peacockery with open hatches to show off his lovely green engine.

• Haha 1

Nothing wrong with Vetus engines, presuming you are talking about the most common M4.12 & M4.17. They are based on Mitsbishi engines and are very reliable. The electrics can be a bit suspect but easily fixed (particularly the starter solenoid relay - replaced for about £5 from Motor world).

Their gearboxes however have a well-deserved reputation for being rubbish. Most Vetus engines are fitted with Technodrive boxes which are probably fine for sea-going boats but are not up to the constant in and out of gear that canal boats are subjected to. The standard drive plate is rubbish too. However Vetus have finally recognised the error of their ways and are fitting Hurth boxes (which are not a lot better in my opinion) and some have been fitted with PRM150s, which is the only sensible solution.

They don't normally have twin alternators either, although the single one fitted in recent years is regulated at 14.2 volts so works quite well.

They used to fit Hurth boxes as standard, and AFAIAA there's generally been an option to pay extra for a gearbox upgrade. Builders probably wouldn't want to do that as it would bump up the headline price or reduce their profit, and a lot of potential buyers probably wouldn't appreciate the difference.

Tim

I've had an M4.17 for 6 years, and its been pretty reliably. However, there is a very slight leak from the Technodrive gearbox, and I also get a disturbing clunk when engaging first gear, so I feel less confident about the gearbox.

You can get an equivalent oil filter from any car dealer - I've got the numbers somewhere if you want them.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how many gears does your Technodrive gearbox have ?

Peter.

Yes please !!

Hi

Regards

Tim

Hello again

Thanks for all your replies. I have put a deposit on the boat 2day. I shall keep some pennies to one side for a new gearbox tho it was not clunky today, its done 1500 hours its not been far as most of that was for battery charging. I am going to buy a gallon of green paint and throw it on the engine. :D

Thanks to all

Edited by mrsmelly

Yes please !!

Hello again

Thanks for all your replies. I have put a deposit on the boat 2day. I shall keep some pennies to one side for a new gearbox tho it was not clunky today, its done 1500 hours its not been far as most of that was for battery charging. I am going to buy a gallon of green paint and throw it on the engine. :D

Thanks to all

I might be thinking of the wrong engine, but doesn't the Vetus suffer from bore glazing when run lightly loaded for long periods?

Anyway....... well done mate. I hope it goes well. You'll have to bring piccies when you come down to take me out for that meal :cheers:

I might be thinking of the wrong engine, but doesn't the Vetus suffer from bore glazing when run lightly loaded for long periods?

Anyway....... well done mate. I hope it goes well. You'll have to bring piccies when you come down to take me out for that meal :cheers:

No Piccs Dood it looks flippin Naff but Annie said it " Smiled " at her so she wanted to buy it.............. :rolleyes:

Edited by mrsmelly

What..... flock wall paper on the inside :blink:

Not quite but they seem to have a love for HAMMERITE on the outside of the boats ooop ere :o The plus point is the paint aint never been polished and the brass mushrooms are proper brass coloured :)

I've been put off the Vetus since I tried buying a boat which didn't do well in the survey. Mounts were knackered. Electrics were in a right state. Stern gear was the water lubricated type (which is connected to sinking articles on the net).

That's not to say the engine is rubbish, just everything connected to the one I nearly bought. I've got a Beta now...and it all seems to work.

Dave

I would be interested to hear about boats fitted with Vetus sterngear that have sunk.

Not that I've heard of.

What I have heard of is that the Technodrive box is splash lubricated by the output shaft, and that running in neutral for extended periods is "not good for the box"

Dave

Most of the above are indicative of poor installation or maintenance, which can affect any engine!

• Knackered mounts is something that any boat with soft mounted engines will eventually suffer, and I see no evidence that the Vetus K series mounts are poor quality.
  • Electrics on our Vetus are imaculate, so that is an installation issue.
  • I have never heard of a sinking that is down to the Vetus stern gear. I have heard of sinkings due to greaser stern gear

Vetus engines do have faults, you just haven't listed them;

• Drive plate is poor quality
  • Rear engine legs prone to fracture

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how many gears does your Technodrive gearbox have ?

Peter.

Well spotted - I've been driving cars for too long. I should have said a clunk when engaging forward gear.