Cratch Cover

dak

Featured Posts

Does anyone know (approximately) how much a new cratch cover will cost? Board already there. I know there are different materials, sizes,types etc but just a ball-park figure to go on would as always be much appreciated.Thanks.

Does anyone know (approximately) how much a new cratch cover will cost? Board already there. I know there are different materials, sizes,types etc but just a ball-park figure to go on would as always be much appreciated.Thanks.

i would say £500 to £1500 depending on size, material, how many doors and zips etc.

Just paid £400 for mine (on a widebeam). Anything too much over that, is extortionate. Material is not that expensive

I'd say you got a bargain then. The material may be cheap but the time of the skilled cover-maker is not.

£400 is not enough for anything more than the most basic custom-made cover, made locally in my personal opinion. Add in a few hundred miles of travelling time and some extra zips and windows and you can double it at least.

Just paid £400 for mine (on a widebeam). Anything too much over that, is extortionate. Material is not that expensive

Good quality weather proof material that will last up to ten years before degrading is actually very expensive. Yes cheap stuff can be aquired, and I was offered a range of material when I had my first cover made. I was able to choose the one which I knew to be the highest quality, and the difference between a cover made from cheapest stuff and the best quality was well over £100. It lasted eleven years before it needed replacing. Then as Mike the Boilerman suggests, skilled cutting and machining is not cheap.

The quality of the material was evidently the best you can buy, the quality of the job was excellent, much better than the crap pram hood I had done by wilsons, which set me back two and a half grand. I suggest shopping around and haggling, cash is king at the moment.

The quality of the material was evidently the best you can buy, the quality of the job was excellent, much better than the crap pram hood I had done by wilsons, which set me back two and a half grand. I suggest shopping around and haggling, cash is king at the moment.

That may be what you were told.

Just an idea for anyone who needs a replacement cratch cover with a very limited budget:-

Our cratch cover was well and truly perished when we bought the boat and we didn't have the funds to pay for a replacement. We took the old cratch cover to a trader who makes curtain sides for lorries, trailer covers, etc. He replicated the old cratch cover for £150. We had to make up the fixings for it and it doesn't have any zips or windows but it does the job for the time being until we can afford to have one made up.

Just an idea for anyone who needs a replacement cratch cover with a very limited budget:-

Our cratch cover was well and truly perished when we bought the boat and we didn't have the funds to pay for a replacement. We took the old cratch cover to a trader who makes curtain sides for lorries, trailer covers, etc. He replicated the old cratch cover for £150. We had to make up the fixings for it and it doesn't have any zips or windows but it does the job for the time being until we can afford to have one made up.

A good idea in my opinion.

And no, I'm not being sarky.

Martyn

It'll probably last sometime and a good cheap solution, that curtain side material is tough as old boots and you can get it almost any colour.

We're not bothering with a cratch cover though, I'm fitting a S/S tubed bracket to the gas locker lid which will hold a good sized parasol, it'll also double for the rotary washing line. Cratch covers just seem so awkward & cumbersome.

A good idea in my opinion.

And no, I'm not being sarky.

Martyn

Thank you Martyn - I wouldn't have interpreted it as sarkiness :)

It'll probably last sometime and a good cheap solution, that curtain side material is tough as old boots and you can get it almost any colour.

We're not bothering with a cratch cover though, I'm fitting a S/S tubed bracket to the gas locker lid which will hold a good sized parasol, it'll also double for the rotary washing line. Cratch covers just seem so awkward & cumbersome.

That's not a bad idea - we're struggling with ideas for a washing line at the mo. The main purpose of the cratch cover is to keep stuff on the front deck dry in the rain - including me when I'm outside having a smoke :D

Or maybe I know more about MY cratchcover, on MY boat, that you have not seen. Der

You will clearly know more about your cover than me, but I would challenge the statement "The quality of the material was evidently the best you can buy" I was in the Contract Furniture trade for eight years and my father was in the Leather and Textiles Sewing trade for more than twenty years, and I doubt that you could purchase the very best quality material (such as that used for BMW or Rolls Royce soft tops) at trade price for what you payed, unless the guy who made the cover was able to get some top quality material from a bankrupcy sale.

What I suspect you have got is reasonably decent material, probably the best quality that the cover maker stocks, but not the best available. However, the real test will be whether it is still water and weather proof in ten years time. If it is then you have got a well below market price bargain. More importantkly if you are happy with it, then that is OK. I payed more than you for my cover, and I know it is not the best quality material available, I also ahve my doubts that it will last as long as the first one, but it was the best I could afford.

Edited by David Schweizer

i would say £500 to £1500 depending on size, material, how many doors and zips etc.

This would fit in with our prices.. Feel free to call us for a quote..or just send a message for any help or information.

Ian

I'd say you got a bargain then. The material may be cheap but the time of the skilled cover-maker is not.

£400 is not enough for anything more than the most basic custom-made cover, made locally in my personal opinion. Add in a few hundred miles of travelling time and some extra zips and windows and you can double it at least.

Also don't forget to ask if your buing a guarantee with that (as you are with ours).

And please don't pay a deposit up front.. There are one or two "rouge tradres" showing their faces in the system at the moment and we are trying our hardest to help people from getting caught out by them.. I won't mention any company names as it may land me In trouble..

Ian

Also don't forget to ask if your buing a guarantee with that (as you are with ours).

And please don't pay a deposit up front.. There are one or two "rouge tradres" showing their faces in the system at the moment and we are trying our hardest to help people from getting caught out by them.. I won't mention any company names as it may land me In trouble..

Ian

ian I wish you the best of luck with your new venture so please do not take this the wrong way. A guarantee is only as good as the company giving it and at this stage of a new venture like yours the guarantee is not worth a great deal. I agree 100% about not paying a deposit unless it is for over £100 and can be paid by credit card, and then I still would not be to happy.

If you are handy and feeling brave why not make one yourself? Particularly if you can use the old one as a pattern.

I've made a cover for a friends boat using my Singer domestic sewing machine.

I can't find anything specifically for a cratch on youtube, but from this one you should see how some of the seams, reinforcing, cutting out the pattern etc.

I am sure you can source the material, zips, eyelets, toggles, polythene windows etc. from Google.

Make sure all your cotton, zips, etc. is UV tolerant.

Plan it out carefully, decide how you are going to sew it, as you don't need to have a bunch of material tucked into the 'arm' of the machine when sewing. Each seam does need to have 2 or 3 rows of stitching.

Take a good look at your old cover and decide where the weakest part or where the most wear is and maybe you can reinforce your new cover in that area.

Perhaps you could sew in a few secret pockets.....

Check out this guy on youtube, he has loads of videos on sail-making, the principles are sort of like a cratch cover.

If you think I can help you more, please just ask.