Battries going flat

Featured Posts

Ive got three battries feeding the cabin and won feeding the engine starter on my brothers boat.

Trubble is the cabin battries are going flat evry night even when evrything is switched off. I dont know when my brother changed\ the\ battries last time, but one of them is a varta and the\others aint.

The varta battry needed a lot of water. Culd that be the problem? Shuld I change it?

Good advise wuld be apreciated

Ive got three battries feeding the cabin and won feeding the engine starter on my brothers boat.

Trubble is the cabin battries are going flat evry night even when evrything is switched off. I dont know when my brother changed\ the\ battries last time, but one of them is a varta and the\others aint.

The varta battry needed a lot of water. Culd that be the problem? Shuld I change it?

It's possibly that one battery is duff that will drag down the other, They need to be checked.

You haven't commented on your charging routine or your usage of battery power.

Has anyone measured the charging voltage with the engine running?

Sorry, but we need a lot more information before we can offer good advice, but your initial replies will amost certainly be questions for you to answer! :rolleyes:

Well I rekon I run the engine for at least five hours a day.

Unfortunatly that is nowhere near long enough to recharge them. Dont forget you are using them as well overnight. You really need to get them hooked up to a decent battery charger for a few days.

And what is the voltage on the batteries when the engine is running?

Tony

About 14 ive got an ameter and a voltmeter. The ameter shows about 20 amps going in when i start the engine. Whe3n i stop the engine it shows\ about 13 volts on the gage but it drops\very qickly.

Edited by Gunwaler

... but it drops\very qickly.

Then it looks like you either have a wiring fault which is drawing current from the batteries even when you think it's not (the ammeter should show if that's the case), or you have one or more duff batteries. Try disconnecting the Varta and see if that makes any difference.

Alternatively, once they're all charged, disconnect them all then check their voltages individually after an hour or so.

Good luck,

Tony

Separate all the batteries and charge them separately with a good battery charger (mains) for about 24 hours.

You may save them but it does look like the Varta is a 'gonner'

or take a chance remove the Varta and just use the other two but reduce your power usage.

You are probably using more than you are putting back, to recharge a battery after use it needs approximately 150% put back to what you take out.

Some reading for you:

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

and

http://www.smartgaug...technical1.html

Edit: I must type faster

Edited by bottle

I do not know of anywhere that BW recycle batteries, could you inform us where this facility is, it may be handy for the rest of us.

or

You have illegally dumped it, commonly known as fly tipping and if caught there is a possibility of a £1,000 fine.

Not that I wish to cast aspersions on your good character.

I do not know of anywhere that BW recycle batteries, could you inform us where this facility is, it may be handy for the rest of us.

or

You have illegally dumped it, commonly known as fly tipping and if caught there is a possibility of a £1,000 fine.

Not that I wish to cast aspersions on your good character.

Theres allways one takes the bate

No bait taken just someone who would like to know where the facility is that BW provide to recycle batteries.

and is concerned about fly tipping and the cost to BW. (and of course me)

gunwaler when you buy the replacement battery most responsible retailers will have facilities in place to take the old one for you, look for the WEEE sign or just ask them.

If batteries are covered by WEEE, it's not most retailers, it's ALL of them. They would have to take the old one back

Richard

Edited by RLWP

If batteries are covered by WEEE, it's not most retailers, it's ALL of them. They would have to take the old one back

Richard

i'm not 100% on this but i think they are, certainly eurocarparts take in the old ones

a quick search found the following places, Halford's & local rubbish tip both have the facilities to take old batteries although i suspect halford's would expect to sell you a new one!