Regent’s Canal towpath row

Featured Posts

Travel expert Christian Wolmar steps into the Regent’s Canal towpath row: Cyclist admits he has sympathy for walkers’ plight as ‘hostilities’ continue along the canal [He will probably have even more sympathy now ... "Minutes after giving an interview to the Tribune, Mr Wolmar’s bike was stolen".]

inews060311_04-1.jpg

Published: 3rd June, 2011 Islington Tribune

ONE of britain’s leading transport commentators has called for an end to towpath “hostilities” between cyclists and walkers. Holloway man Christian Wolmar urged cyclists riding along the Regent’s Canal in Islington to slow down as they approach walkers. He also suggested signs be installed reminding cyclists to ring their bell when they overtake people on foot. At the same time Mr Wolmar said he was not in favour of a ban on cyclists from the towpath and added that walkers must not assume they are the only ones with the right to be there.

Mr Wolmar, a leading figure on the board of Cycling England and the Islington Cycling Action Group, was invited by the Tribune to see the towpath from the walker’s point of view on Wednesday. Walkers complain they are being deterred from using the towpath at peak times because of a small minority of aggressive cyclists. Mr Wolmar walked along the towpath at York Way, King’s Cross, opposite King’s Place, home of the Guardian newspaper. He said: “I regularly cycle along the towpath but I rarely walk. Now I’ve taken a stroll during peak commuting times my sympathies are with the walkers. There is nothing more terrifying and anger inducing than a person on a large bike charging towards you expecting you to move out of the way. It’s wonderful that there are more people are on their bikes than ever before. But cyclists should behave themselves. They should reduce their speed, ring their bells gently and be polite. Cyclists should not cycle aggressively. We’ve seen one or two people today pumping iron. The towpath is not for speed and it’s not a highway. It’s a calm, pleasant, relaxed and safe environment for all but it has to be used responsibly.”

British Waterways say they regularly remind cyclists who use the towpath to be aware of walkers. “Complaints by walkers against cyclists are down compared with recent years,” said a spokesman. “However, there are still a small minority of cyclists who do make life difficult for everyone else. We have our ‘two- ting’ campaign which reminds cyclists to ring their bell before passing and we are using volunteers on the towpath. We could put signs up but they tend to be ignored.”

In April this year, the Green Party’s candidate for London Mayor, Jenny Jones, also spoke out against cyclists who use the canal towpaths like a “race track” with “complete disregard” for people who walk. Ms Jones, 61, a mother of two, said that as a bike enthusiast herself she was “appalled” by the behaviour of a few a cyclists on towpaths. “One idea,” she said, “would be more kissing gates along the tow-path, which would mean cyclists would have to dismount.” St Peter’s ward Labour councillor Martin Klute said he was in favour of the “kissing gates” proposal. He also advocated a parallel cycling route along less busy roads.

• Minutes after giving an interview to the Tribune, Mr Wolmar’s bike was stolen. He had left it by a bench after locking the back wheel on Wednesday evening at around 6.30pm to walk along the towpath opposite the King’s Place bridge in York Way. Less than 10 minutes later, the bike was gone. Police have been informed. The large Dawes bike is described as silver coloured with a rack. The heavy-duty lock was taken with the bike. Anyone who sees it urged to email Mr Wolmar at christian.wolmar@gmail.com

• Greenie 1

I didn't really think it was a problem (being a Londoner, a cyclist and used to it) either until I walked the towpath with mum.

She was pretty scared TBH.

What we really need are more cyclist only cycle paths in London. So many of us cycle now, bike shops are springing up all over. It's cheap, much nicer than the tube and quicker as well. Let's not forget that alot of the towpath cyclists in London are boaters as well. Like the rest of London, the moorings, the carparking, the roads, the towpath is too busy. Like the boats, they can't limit numbers.

We do have one particular 'lycra lout' up on the Lee and Stort. We saw him threaten a towpath walker with violence for getting in his way. He really does think he has priority. He once nearly ran into me, bellowing, 'you boaters think you own the place! Get out of my way!.' I think he has issues. :) You will know him if you meet him.

Edited by Lady Muck

Press reports like this were common a year or so ago ... perhaps it is a summer thing?

Anger at badly behaved bikers

Published 4 Jun 2011 09:30 Reading Chronicle

SPEEDING bikers and foul-mouthed yobs are terrorising villagers along the Kennet and Avon Canal towpath and making them too scared to walk their dogs or take a stroll. Neighbours are furious that groups of teenagers on motorbikes have spent years running dog-walkers, joggers and ramblers off the path as they race between Fobney Lock and The Cunning Man pub at Burghfield Bridge, forcing people to leap out the way or risk being run over. Phillip Burbridge, 58, who has enjoyed the towpath for many years, contacted The Chronicle after becoming too intimidated to walk his dog Benny along by the canal. He said: "My poor dog has almost been run over four or five times by these kids. There were even reports last year that someone's dog was killed after it was run over by a motorbike and I won't risk that happening. It's just not safe." Mr Burbridge added: "I've called the police, I've told councillors and still nothing has changed. I can't believe this has gone on so long - it's awful that we have to avoid somewhere we love because of intimidation and abuse. Apart from the danger of motorbikes careering out of control, if anyone says anything to the kids they get threats and foul abuse. It has to stop."

Chris Giles, from Goodwin Close, Calcot, has also stopped using the towpath. He added: "It's exceptionally dangerous around there now. There should be covert cameras or something. These kids run riot on the farmer's field nearby too and make the cows stampede. Something really must be done." A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: "The problem with incidents like this is that often the youths have scattered by the time that we have been called and arrived at the scene. "However, anyone with any concerns or with any information about the people involved should contact the police immediately on the 24-hour non-emergency number 0845 8 505 505."

• 5 months later...

Back to the Regent's Canal ...

‘Regent’s Canal towpath chicanes not the answer’ Cyclists and pedestrians clash over how best to deal with problem of congested canal path

Published: November 25, 2011 Islington Tribune

A SPLIT emerged this week in Islington’s cyclist and pedestrian coalition over how to deal with the worsening conflict on the towpath. The coalition group has approved a statement by British Waterways saying the Regent’s Canal towpath is under huge, unsustainable pressure and calling for cyclists to reduce speed. It follows complaints about speeding cyclists turning the towpath into a “no-go area” for pedestrians. Pedestrian organisations are calling for more strategically placed chicane obstacles to force speeding cyclists to slow down or use alternative routes. However, Islington Cycling Action Group, one of the signatories, argued against the installation of more chicanes on the towpath. They say that this action should not be taken until a safe alternative road route has been established.

ICAG committee member John Ackers said: “Cycling on the road is extremely hazardous, as we know with the number of fatalities there have been lately. While I accept that cyclists need to slow down on the towpath I’m not sure about the chicanes. There is a difference of opinion among cyclists about these obstacles. Chicanes just make it much more difficult for cyclists to use the towpath.”

The BW statement was also agreed by Islington Council, Islington Living Streets, Hanover Primary School, Friends of Regent’s Canal, and St Peter’s ward councillor Martin Klute. Ian Shacklock, chairman of the Friends of Regent’s Canal, said that the object is not to stop all cyclists from using the towpath. “It’s there for recreational use and boaters need to use it and they have bikes too. We do want to deter commuter cyclists and anyone in a rush. We know that chicanes make it difficult for cyclists to use the towpath. That’s the idea. It just means that they have to slow down. And in parallel we need suitable, alternative well signposted, and most importantly safe, cycling routes.”

Cllr Klute said he was very encouraged that BW are now showing signs that they want to get involved in this issue of conflict on the towpath. “It is a good idea on BW’s part to get a consensus on this. And we are particularly pleased that the statement has been signed by the Islington Cyclist Action Group. I think many people are beginning to recognise that the towpath is not a right of way for cyclists and walkers do have priority.”

BW is encouraging local boroughs and Transport for London to provide safer and more attractive alternative route options for cyclists. The organisation campaigns to encourage more responsible and courteous behaviour among all towpath users, including a Towpath Code of Conduct and regular ‘Two Tings’ – cycle bell ringing as an early warning to pedestrians.

• Friends of Regent’s Canal have a meeting at the London Canal Museum, King’s Cross, on December 7 at 7pm. The subject is how to clean up towpaths and plans for a bicentenary of the waterways. friendsregentscanal@gmail.com

Last friday i was walking the towpath towards my boat, the towpath is 15' wide at this point plus a concrete work area for the boatyard of about 6'

I was walking along the concrete edge when a cyclist approached from the oposite direction he deliberatly aimed at me and did not even attempt to avoid me, i just manage to jump out the way and when i questioed his actions he just shouted that there was room for everybody on the towpath and cycled off, its extremly frustrating having to deal with these selfish twits day after day, it will come to a head here soon i just hope its not me or my dogs that are involved

Paul

I didn't really think it was a problem (being a Londoner, a cyclist and used to it) either until I walked the towpath with mum.

She was pretty scared TBH.

What we really need are more cyclist only cycle paths in London. So many of us cycle now, bike shops are springing up all over. It's cheap, much nicer than the tube and quicker as well. Let's not forget that alot of the towpath cyclists in London are boaters as well. Like the rest of London, the moorings, the carparking, the roads, the towpath is too busy. Like the boats, they can't limit numbers.

We do have one particular 'lycra lout' up on the Lee and Stort. We saw him threaten a towpath walker with violence for getting in his way. He really does think he has priority. He once nearly ran into me, bellowing, 'you boaters think you own the place! Get out of my way!.' I think he has issues. :) You will know him if you meet him.

He has'nt got a spanish accent has he.

A stick in the spokes will slow the bastards down

The trouble is that only a few years ago cyclists needed a permit to ride a bike on the tow PATH but bw found this impossible to police so did what all organisations do so as not to lose face they took the easy option and instead of the right thing and making vehicles ( push bike ) illegal on the tow PATH they took the easy option for them and dropped the permits so anyone can now ruin a walkers pleasure and destroy a quiet vehicle free zone and pedal away on our lovely towpaths. I hate pushbikes on the towpath there are hundreds of thousand of roads built for their use and our measly couple of thousand miles of towpath are now also filled with the infernal vehicle. The cycling lovers always give us the bullshit answer that its only a few bad cyclists which go too fast which is utter nonsense we have ALL seen these idiots on every canal we have.

The trouble is that only a few years ago cyclists needed a permit to ride a bike on the tow PATH but bw found this impossible to police so did what all organisations do so as not to lose face they took the easy option and instead of the right thing and making vehicles ( push bike ) illegal on the tow PATH they took the easy option for them and dropped the permits

Your answer is factually incorrect.

BW have not done away with permits for towpath cycling, and, in most of those thousands of miles you talk about, they are still required, (assuming cycling is allowed on those stretches, of course - on some it is not at all).

London is on the whole largely the exception case, where you do no longer need a permit. There are some others, (like where a towpath is formally adopted as a Sustrans route), but in most places a permit is still a requirement.

Your answer is factually incorrect.

BW have not done away with permits for towpath cycling, and, in most of those thousands of miles you talk about, they are still required, (assuming cycling is allowed on those stretches, of course - on some it is not at all).

London is on the whole largely the exception case, where you do no longer need a permit. There are some others, (like where a towpath is formally adopted as a Sustrans route), but in most places a permit is still a requirement.

Alan you do have to have a go dont you :rolleyes: are you always bored ? The fact is that we are now inundated with road going vehicles on our towpaths. I dont know if you know any boaters who use bikes or non boaters who cycle on the towpaths but just stop and talk to a few and ask how many have a permit and when they were last checked by anyone ? As for the rest of the facts if you used the towpath EVERY day instead of as an ocasional user you would have more idea of the size of the problem. Posted as we speak whilst on my boat. ;)

Alan you do have to have a go dont you :rolleyes: are you always bored ?

So you living on your boat, whereas you constantly complain about those like me who do not, permits you to give answers that are just plain wrong does it ? And have a go when I give the correct version ?

Sorry, I obviously don't know the forum rules about validity of opinions on here.

I have so far in 2011 boated on at least 86 different days, and covered about 1,200 miles and been through over 900 locks.

That doesn't include when I have turned out to help other people work their boats.

I think most people might think that gives me a fair idea what is going on, but you have these bees in your bonnet that you will not let go. It must disappoint you that I post under my real name, as that's one of your standard complaints that you can't hit me with!

Alan you do have to have a go dont you :rolleyes: are you always bored ? The fact is that we are now inundated with road going vehicles on our towpaths. I dont know if you know any boaters who use bikes or non boaters who cycle on the towpaths but just stop and talk to a few and ask how many have a permit and when they were last checked by anyone ? As for the rest of the facts if you used the towpath EVERY day instead of as an ocasional user you would have more idea of the size of the problem. Posted as we speak whilst on my boat. ;)

Boaters don't need permits for their bikes, almost every boater I know owns and keeps a pushbike. The truth is the roads ate made far too dangerous for cyclists and if there is a towpath it's much safer. I use the towpath EVERY day and there is no real problem I perceive, there's only problems made by people who set out to be obstructive whether cyclist or walker. I cycle every day I've never hit anyone and I never will and I certainly don't hang around.

I have so far in 2011 boated on at least 86 different days, and covered about 1,200 miles and been through over 900 locks.

Shouldnt that be '86 DIFFERENT days'? He always reminds me of basil fawlty when he shouts like that.

So you living on your boat, whereas you constantly complain about those like me who do not, permits you to give answers that are just plain wrong does it ? And have a go when I give the correct version ?

Sorry, I obviously don't know the forum rules about validity of opinions on here.

That doesn't include when I have turned out to help other people work their boats.

I think most people might think that gives me a fair idea what is going on, but you have these bees in your bonnet that you will not let go. It must disappoint you that I post under my real name, as that's one of your standard complaints that you can't hit me with!

Its not my fault you have only managed 86 days so far on your boat this year, hopefully things will get better for you in the future oh and I dont think you are falling foul of any forum rules on that matter so dont worry there. Secondly I dont wear a bonnet its generaly another form of hat. Honestly though do you realy believe people apply for cycling permits? :) :)

• Greenie 2

Honestly though do you realy believe people apply for cycling permits? :) :)

Perhaps they believe you, as the much more "experienced" boater, when you say BW have abolished them ? :lol:

I mean faced with all that knowledge why would they try to obtain something they have been told no longer exists.

I have one, (I have had one in some form or another since the 1970s), but don't think that having or not having one makes any difference to cycling style.

Perhaps you complained when Mike Askin reeled out thatarchive footage of the Whitlocks on the Jam 'Ole traffic - I mean - poor old Bill Whitlock scuttling down the towpath on his bike to set the locks. Real boaters would never do such things would they ? You'd better not visit the Stoke Bruerne waterways museum either - Bill Whitlock's towpath bike is an exhibit, and I'm sure you'd hate it.

Seriously though, down here I am surrounded by "proper boaters" - if "proper boater" is simply defined as anybody who lives full time on their boat. And yep, I accept, they don't have or use bikes. Why would they ? They have moored themselves up nicely within walking distance of main line railway stations, so they can easily get back from their daily commute each day to

boats that hardly ever move. "Proper boaters" with the canal's interest at heart ? I don't think so, unless something happens to take their supply of cheap housing away from them.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

Perhaps they believe you, as the much more "experienced" boater, when you say BW have abolished them ? :lol:

I mean faced with all that knowledge why would they try to obtain something they have been told no longer exists.

I have one, (I have had one in some form or another since the 1970s), but don't think that having or not having one makes any difference to cycling style.

Perhaps you complained when Mike Askin reeled out thatarchive footage of the Whitlocks on the Jam 'Ole traffic - I mean - poor old Bill Whitlock scuttling down the towpath on his bike to set the locks. Real boaters would never do such things would they ? You'd better not visit the Stoke Bruerne waterways museum either - Bill Whitlock's towpath bike is an exhibit, and I'm sure you'd hate it.

Seriously though, down here I am surrounded by "proper boaters" - if "proper boater" is simply defined as anybody who lives full time on their boat. And yep, I accept, they don't have or use bikes. Why would they ? They have moored themselves up nicely within walking distance of main line railway stations, so they can easily get back from their daily commute each day to

boats that hardly ever move. "Proper boaters" with the canal's interest at heart ? I don't think so, unless something happens to take their supply of cheap housing away from them.

Batteries goin flat so I am off but what the hell is a daily Commute ?

Batteries goin flat so I am off but what the hell is a daily Commute ?

I know it is frowned on to use the w*** word, but it may shock you that between the spells of living on their boat overnight, many of the "proper boaters" down here catch trains to London (or wherever) for the express purpose of practising to w*** word. (Shocking, but true).

We may not agree on much, but I suspect we can at least agree to feel sorry for some of these poor peeps!

I know it is frowned on to use the w*** word, but it may shock you that between the spells of living on their boat overnight, many of the "proper boaters" down here catch trains to London (or wherever) for the express purpose of practising to w*** word. (Shocking, but true).

We may not agree on much, but I suspect we can at least agree to feel sorry for some of these poor peeps!

Batteries back now Alan and yes agreed on that point. And its going to get worse, when I see what multiplier my kids have applied to their salaries just to buy a house its proof that even though we thought we were skint 30 odd years ago with a mortgage we had it very good.

Batteries back now Alan and yes agreed on that point. And its going to get worse, when I see what multiplier my kids have applied to their salaries just to buy a house its proof that even though we thought we were skint 30 odd years ago with a mortgage we had it very good.

Hi,

Not sure it will get worse, better if anything - many will not be able to buy houses during their lifetime or if they do it will be much later in life. They may adopt a more responsible attitude towards credit and not look upon their house as a 'Bank', borrowing the equity as prices rise to pay for consumer goods etc.

When I worked in finance the rise in applications for further advances rose dramatically in September and January to pay for holidays and Christmas.

You weren't 'Skint' 30/40 years ago, you had probably purchased goods outright (and many of those may have been secondhand) rather than on credit.

You become hardened towards people facing eviction when they are surrounded by a home full of new consumer goods made in China, and 100% borrowings on their property's value and you feel contempt for your work mates for allowing them to borrow the money. The Executives and Directors................no comment, but I would not trust them to count paperclips.

Leo.

A stick in the spokes will slow the bastards down

When I am in the U.K. I do a lot of tow-path cycling, which I've done for many years without ever been asked for the permit (which I have), I can assure you that I've never scared any walkers, and I always greet them while passing each other.

When I walk the tow-paths, I always carry a nice stick, that is easy to see for speeding tow-path abusers, and sofar, probably because of the stick, they have slowed down enough to allow for a safe passage.

I often think that those people worry more about the well beeing of their bikes, than they are of the well beeing of tow-path walkers, that are an obstruction to their pleasure of racing along.

Peter.

walking, cycling or even a bloody space hopper shouldn't matter, consideration is all that is required.

Not too sure about "a bloody space hopper", but you are absolutely right, the key word is "consideration", as there should be room for everybody.

Peter.

Not too sure about "a bloody space hopper", but you are absolutely right, the key word is "consideration", as there should be room for everybody.

Peter.

I think the world would be a happier place if we all got about on space hoppers :cheers:

This is an interesting debate where nearly everyone making a contribution appears to be unaware of the Legal status of the towpath.

Apart from a few sections where the towpath is a Public Right of way, the only people who have a legal right of use the Towpath either on foot, or on a bicycle are people engaged in the navigation of a boat. Other users have what is legally defined as "Permitted Access" which allows them to walk or cycle on the towpath provided they comply with any regulations set by the owner of the path, which is why BW can legally require people to have permits as part of those regulations.

Under Permitted Access regulations, BW can close all or any part of the towpath without notice, and without giving any reason, although both are normally given. This is why BW were able to close the towpath immediately during the Foot and Mouth epidemic without securing a licence to do so from the Government, which is what every Parish and Town Council had to do in order to have public Paths and Bridleways closed during the emergency. As the Official Emergency Control Officer for our local Council at the time, I had to register over forty Public Footpaths for licence approval, but the Canal Towpath, which is the longest path in the Parish was excempted because of it's Permitted Access staus.

It always amuses me when outspoken advocates and critics talk about their, or other persons, rights to use the towpath when they do not actually have any rights, except where the towpath is a declared Public Right of Way.

Edited to add:- Occupants of moored boats are assumed to be included in the catagory of persons engaged in navigation, so using the towpath for access/egress is permitted under the regulations.

Edited by David Schweizer