Welcome BMC owners

RLWP

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me the history behind the BMC 1.5. Our boat is only 4 year old, so why was it chosen for a new boat.

Cost may have something to do with it.....

A reconditioned BMC engine would be a cheaper option than one of the engines like a Beta/Isuzu/Nanni/Vetus etc.

The BMC 1500 and 1800 engines are also known by the name "B series", the diesels generally appearing after similar petrol engines were already being produced.

The 1500 B-series diesel (actually 1498cc) was used in light commercial vehicles like the Morris J2 van.

Some information in this link

If I don't mention it someone will pick me up and point out that some were sold as marine engines from the outset, and not all marine BMC 1500s are marinisations of non-marine engines.

The later 1800 (1798cc) engine saw life in some cases in Sherpa vans.

Our boat is only 4 year old, so why was it chosen for a new boat.

Because they are great engines, reasonably priced, good performance and probably made in the UK. Really should be considered as 'classic engines'.

Yours looks a good installation.

Happy Boating.

Mike.

Because they are great engines, reasonably priced, good performance and probably made in the UK. Really should be considered as 'classic engines'.

Yours looks a good installation.

Happy Boating.

Mike.

Should be an aircraft engineer had the boat built originally. Cheers!

Good luck with the oil leaks... I think most BMC owners learn to live with them. My engineer says he's never seen a bmc 1.5 or 1.8 that didn't leak oil. Mind you Evo seems to have his sorted.

There are more refined units, but living with one of these you come to admire the sheer simplicity and reliability. Unitl I acquired our boat i didn't understand how owners could become so enthusiastic about these units but I do now.

For narrowboats the main attraction is their tolerance of long periods of slow running. In diesels this can and does cause a gradual build up of sludge in the sump but much less so with the bmc's and it's one reason they are so popular on the canals. But you will also find river and sea boats with bmc's because they also have good torque characteristics and as said, tremendous reliability.

It does look a nice clean installation and I like the deck drain channels too.

having installed more than a hundred BMC'S during the 60's 70's and 80's,i do agree with you.

when i built my narrowboat in 96',my accomplice who was an aircraft engineer,said "what engine do you want to use"

i said a BMC 2.2 or 2.5,the 2.2 is a much sweeter engine but i found a 2.5 that had been residing in a sunken boat,so the choice was made for me.

i do love outrunning the passenger boats and tuppy cruisers/wedding cakes on the upper thames.

it squanders fuel when asked to push the boat beyond it's design speed,but why should one always be sensible?

• 1 year later...

I have just discovered this BMC Sub-section on this site and I must say it is fascinating reading and an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours (I am a slow reader) on a bleak Sunday morning.

I have a BMC 1.5 in nb Stronghold, which I have owned now for six years, so I can commiserate with all those owners who have oil leaks (no cure), leaking injector pumps (had it serviced), difficult starting (change heater plugs), rusty core plugs (yet to be sorted), etc. Despite all those things, I have never had to call out an engineer, done all my own servicing and repairs and it has never let me down yet on the water and I love it.

http://nbstronghold.blogspot.co.uk/

A 260 box on a 1.5 :huh:

I'm surprised that there's enough power left to rotate the prop ;)

When we bought our boat in Sept 2011, we were told it was a 160PRM but our lastest BSS last month the chap said it was a 240! http://i1230.photobu...b7a2653f93d.jpgWill the red plaque tell me?

Excuse the old photo. It looks a damn sight better now.

Cant see any references to a 240 PRM

Edited by Darren72

What will it say? Is it obvious?

I can't remember. If you read it, it's fairly obvious, the model, serial number and ratio.

If you are not sure, take a picture and we will sort it for you

Richard

MORE: Popular belief has it that the heads are interchangeable between the 1.5 and 1.8. The difference in capacity will be due to the length of stroke meaning that many components between the two are the same.

What makes you think your gearbox is 'big'?

Edited by RLWP

I can't remember. If you read it, it's fairly obvious, the model, serial number and ratio.

Richard

So what about the 1.8 head and large box Richard?

Richard

MORE: Popular belief has it that the heads are interchangeable between the 1.5 and 1.8. The difference in capacity will be due to the length of stroke meaning that many components between the two are the same.

What makes you think your gearbox is 'big'?

Just what folk have said. Does PRM modelling go up in size via the model number???

Just what folk have said. Does PRM modelling go up in size via the model number???

Not really. A Delta and a 150 are about the same size. A 160 and a 260 are the same size, but a more robust box than the delta nda 150

Richard

Not correct, I'm afraid, Richard.....

The stroke of a 1500 and 1800 engine are identical (3.5 inches).

The extra capacity of an 1800 over a 1500 is achieve by increasing the bore (2.875 inches on the 1500, 3.16 inched on the 1800).

It is the fact there is less metal between the cylinders that some people quote as to why the 1800 may be more prone to head gasket failure than the 1500.

Not correct, I'm afraid, Richard.....

The stroke of a 1500 and 1800 engine are identical (3.5 inches).

The extra capacity of an 1800 over a 1500 is achieve by increasing the bore (2.875 inches on the 1500, 3.16 inched on the 1800).

It is the fact there is less metal between the cylinders that some people quote as to why the 1800 may be more prone to head gasket failure than the 1500.

So Alan why put a 1.8 head on a 1.5?

So Alan why put a 1.8 head on a 1.5?

I don't know the definitive answer to whether you can ever exchange the heads between the two engines.

I have heard some say they have done it, and others say they have tried it, and things don't line up that need to - maybe it is an "it depends", as not all the heads on one engine size were the same.

It seems odd the question can't be quickly put to bed, because there can only be one right answer, but I don't know what it is.

One advantage of being able to exchange them is that you might just want to use what you could source at the best cost - they are not that easily found at low cost.

Don't forget there are at least two types of 1.8 head anyway - the type fitted to the earliest 1.8s, with the thinner heater plugs used on the 1.5, whereas I think most 1.8s had a later type that used the fatter heater plugs.

If you could change a 1.5 to use the later style 1.8 head, then you could take advantage of the later heater plugs, which not only heat faster, but are also less prone to snapping off on attempts to remove them.

But I don't know if you can!

She was called Shy Talk. She is on an old Colecraft Shell. We have a plaque on the boat somewhere when she was comissioned. And before the repaint she was lightblue with ref coach work.

The name Perkins comes to mind when I read that. I think that posibly the name Mike goes with it but not sure.

Theres a picture of my lump on page 4 of this topic.

Uh yes:

aug23031.jpg

Well, if it is a 1.5, the diesel pump would be hidden by your deck board support. But if it was a 1.8, the diesel pump would be hidden by your alternator...

:lol:

Richard