Something unusual at the brokers...

Featured Posts

Is this not a strange place to be selling such a boat? and why was it not advertised as for sale when it was at the Port at Easter. You could not have had a greater concentration of potential purchasers if you had tried. I think it is rather dear though. Compare it to Darley, which is proper, perhaps too proper.

I was surprised but apparently talking to them they have brokered successful sales of historic boats before.

Was it Ian at New and Used he's into his Old "Proper" Boats. Think his brothers the Lockie at Sawley.

Yes I'm pretty sure it was him. He waxed lyrical about 'old boats'.

Ian Parrot who has Clytie, brother of Dave Parrott who is currently selling Southern Cross and Uncle to Matt & Sarah Parrott who used to have Sickle, but now have Tench.

I believe it is Fenny.

When we were collecting Sickle from Penkridge, Fenny came past, and this looks like it to me.

I was told then it was about to come on the market, (just after we had concluded shortened boats with tug decks and extension cabins don't come to market too often :banghead: :banghead:).

Nice looking boat, but every time I see it, I struggle to believe it is only the 57 foot it is quoted as being.

Not sure about the price!

Good value compared to Dover (!), but I'm feeling better about Sickle too, now!

I think I preferred her in her pre-extension cabin days. Not sure I could have done that to her. Here she is two years ago.....

I rather like the cabin conversion personally I think it would make me want it more rather than less. Not for the purist looking for an old boat in working form but then it has already been chopped down from its original length.

The cabin extension would bring the back down a bit, maybe the front has been ballasted to compensate for this and keep the prop at the right depth?

I think that's right it looks like the counter is about at the same depth as Alan's pre conversion picy looking at the brokers photos.

In answer to the earlier speculation:

The bed is just forward of the cabin extension under the tug deck.

Due to the hull depth and it bordering the saloon/galley it is quite open and airy, not in the least enclosed.

The current owner previously owned Vesta the S & L tug.

Edited by andywatson

In answer to the earlier speculation:

The bed is just forward of the cabin extension under the tug deck.

Due to the hull depth and it bordering the saloon/galley it is quite open and airy, not in the least enclosed.

Indeed.

Just to add the only poss neg. to this boat that I can see but it will not worry everybody who would buy a boat like this is there is no way to produce hot water. (aside from the hob that is)

There is gas on board so an instantaneous heater would be possible.

Edited by MJG

Just to add the only poss neg. to this boat that I can see but it will not worry everybody who would buy a boat like this is there is no way to produce hot water. (aside from the hob that is)

There is gas on board so an instantaneous heater would be possible.

A kettle on top of the range or on top of that Puffin stove will also heat water, of course.

I can't see a shower on the inventory, which many might not be prepared to live without, of course!

A kettle on top of the range or on top of that Puffin stove will also heat water, of course.

I can't see a shower on the inventory, which many might not be prepared to live without, of course!

Indeed -

defo no shower - just a basin oh and no fancy macerator bog either, just a cassette loo in a cupboard.

Boating simplicity.

ETA - I admit to being a bit smitten, if I could afford another boat I would be back at the brokers in the morning with the deposit.

I'd even buy without a survey... :o

Edited by MJG

Indeed -

defo no shower - just a basin oh and no fancy macerator bog either, just a cassette loo in a cupboard.

Boating simplicity.

No that's what Sickle has!

Range in back cabin, and a Porta Potti in the engine room, (must buy some ear defenders!).

Wash basin ?!? Sink ?!? Running water ?!? I dream of any of these!

We still need to buy the proper fresh water supply....

17574-0.jpg

No that's what Sickle has!

Range in back cabin, and a Porta Potti in the engine room, (must buy some ear defenders!).

17574-0.jpg

However - we do have certain standards.... ;)

You think the flowers a little crude?

Richard

I dare not comment, as if I do somebody on here will no doubt pop up and say they painted it....

A plasterers bucket (one of the larger "bin" sized ones), with a bit of warm water to stand in whilst you use some other warm water to pour over yourself for a good scrub. It definately works for me in Ariel's unlined engine room.. but you do tend to have the place covered in bubbles by the time you've finished. If it's a bit chilly then you can run the engine for a bit of warmth :)

I'm very interested, wont bother with SOTBB now, oh hang on Mrs D says she doubts theres enough drawers and cupboards for socks and pants....................... :wacko:

Oh I'm not so sure, there is bags of storage room in your typical 'traditional' back cabin. I recently had a clear out and found things I'd thought I'd lost a year ago!

Wonderful boat. While I admire the original working boats, only having a BMC and engine room make them impractical for most owners who like the conveniences. (not a problem to the enthusiasts of course. But this one with the cabin extension and under deck bed, which I would like to see a photo of if anyone has one, makes it much more practical and does not spoil the fine lines at all

Charles

Wonderful boat. While I admire the original working boats, only having a BMC and engine room make them impractical for most owners who like the conveniences. (not a problem to the enthusiasts of course. But this one with the cabin extension and under deck bed, which I would like to see a photo of if anyone has one, makes it much more practical and does not spoil the fine lines at all

Charles

A BMC is a kind of engine, not to be confused with a back cabin.

I agree Fenny looks lovely and in reply to the earlier question, I would guess probably draws about 3'

A BMC is a kind of engine, not to be confused with a back cabin.

I agree Fenny looks lovely and in reply to the earlier question, I would guess probably draws about 3'

Boat mans cabin is a commonly used description, nothing wrong with using that term abbreviated that I can see even if not correct (if it is incorrect that is. Its like calling former working narrowboats "historic" which they commonly are called, but whats historic about them?

Charles

Boat mans cabin is a commonly used description, nothing wrong with using that term abbreviated that I can see even if not correct (if it is incorrect that is. Its like calling former working narrowboats "historic" which they commonly are called, but whats historic about them?

Charles

Well, who else's cabin would it be?

Calling it a 'boatman's cabin' is a modern coinage, used to describe replica back cabins on modern boats. It's not even that common in that context, only used by a few brokers - 'traditional style back cabin' does the job as well or better. And the problem with abbreviating it to BMC is precisely because that's a kind of engine.

Anyway, boatman is one word, so it should be BC, which could equally be back cabin, and then everyone would be happy.

As for 'historic' - well, it's not a term I use cos I think it sounds posey, but if you can seriously ask 'what's historic about them' then I wouldn't know where to start replying.

Edited by Chertsey

Its like calling former working narrowboats "historic" which they commonly are called, but whats historic about them?

You could try asking these people....

National Historic Ships

They seem happy to include many ex working narrow boats in their register.

I'm intrigued - I thought you and I where on a certain persons 'Ignore' list.

Him ignoring me doesn't mean I have to ignore him......

There is nobody's posts that I ignore, and I reserve the right to comment on any, however ill-informed they may be!

All boats work or they would be sunk. An ex working boatman I know refers to "working boats" as Trading boats

All boatmen work or they would be unemployed. :wacko:

It is accepted practice to use "working" to differentiate from something that is just for leisure.

Even you used the term.

Him ignoring me doesn't mean I have to ignore him......

There is nobody's posts that I ignore, and I reserve the right to comment on any, however ill-informed they may be!

Oh I agree 100%, I wasn't meaning that though I was surprised that he could even see the thread I'd started.