Shortened butties.

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

The were obviously quite a few motors shortened for various reasons but was the same done to any butties/horseboats - other than for being converted to motors?

I can't think of why this would have been. No real reason for the question, just interested.

Thanks

Edit - Serpens was shortened and then re-lenghtened wasn't it?

Edited by Speedwheel

Yes Serpens was shortened as atrip boat when operated by the Pickens on IIRC the Mon & Brec but they saved the middle bit which was later put back in by Ed Mortimer.

A number of BCN day boats were shortened for Hardy Spicer and BWB so they could be pushed by pusher tugs such as Bantams and still fit in a lock. Kez's Ohm/butty is one of the latter.

Paul

Wigan Coal & Iron Company had several short narrowboats for working on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, and there were also deliveries of salt to chemical works at Church by narrowboat. Mind you, they wouldn't have been shortened, but built short.

I suspect I must have already referred to this day boat seen non the Staffs and Worcs about 3 yeras back, as I already have it stored on PhotoBucket it seems.

I can't remember the story, if it was discussed, but clearly short or shortened.....

Maintenance_Boat_2.jpg

Maintenance_Boat_1.jpg

A number of BCN day boats were shortened for Hardy Spicer and BWB so they could be pushed by pusher tugs such as Bantams and still fit in a lock. Kez's Ohm/butty is one of the latter.

Yes of course they were - I didn't think of those.

Elland I think was built short. It is a nice boat. I moored next to it at Lorenz yard for a month or so a few years ago.

Nice little boat that Alan - you know what that would go well with ................

Butty has indeed been shortened at some point :P

You taking her to Braunston? I will be taking Cactus with the spoon dredger, so could probably hook you on behind!

Edited by Speedwheel

You taking her to Braunston? I will be taking Cactus with the spoon dredger, so could probably hook you on behind!

Butty wont be in the parade this year; Ariel is carrying the kit of parts for the repair job, and only gets to Crick the week before the rally. I'm a fast worker, but I'm not a magician! :P

I've a vague recollection of being told she was built short, shortened and lengthened again

The were several narrowboats working on the Rochdale Canal which would have been short enough for the C&HN. As today, the length of a boat would be determined by where you were going to go.

Butty wont be in the parade this year; Ariel is carrying the kit of parts for the repair job, and only gets to Crick the week before the rally. I'm a fast worker, but I'm not a magician! :P

Won't be getting there with the repair kit until after Braunston ?