Question for liveaboards

Boaty Malone

Featured Posts

What do you love about living aboard and why did you choose to?

First amongst all was the community.

Second the involvement of such a self sufficient lifestyle and the people watching my back.

It's more dissolute these days but it's still there!

Do you live-aboard, or wish to?

And be prepared that other folks reasons will probably be different from yours

Hi, I've been a liveaboard for the past 3 years firstly it started off with being a 25ft Springer waterbug for short trips out (we all have to start somewhere) owned it for about 5-6 months then purchased my 60ft narrowboat from someone who was moored opposite me who decided to sell suddenly due to his personal circumstances.

I was renting an apartment with the Mrs which was £500pcm and it was a big decision to move onboard. We mainly decided to move onboard because of the peaceful waterways, the lifestyle and quirkiness. There's nothing better than setting off on your travels & visiting all the new places, meeting new people.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute even when problems have occurred. I'm curious to know why others decided to liveaboard.

Terry

Solitude when I want it, companionship when I don't. Solitude in a house can be a trap, a boat can move to a different view.

Spot on! Plus I love the self sufficiency, being "off grid". I love the movement of my boat as another boat goes past. I love waking up to the reflected ripples on the ceiling of the cabin and I love the winter when my boat is warm and toasty and something special is cooking on the stove.

A personal tragedy brought me to the waterways but I can't see me willingl moving off it now.

Happy Easter All.

Phil

I wanted to get out of renting after 10 years of it and wanted to move to the country. This was pretty much my only option. I'd never slept on a boat before we collected my new home now although its been tough in places I don't think i'd go back to land any time soon.

[i'm currently ashore, and getting homesick for my boat]

Things I love;

The ability to move your home and stop where you wish (or at least within walking distance)

The comradeship and community of fellow boaters

The engineering and scale of the system

The need to maintain the boat and systems within - and the subsequent warmth and protection afforded

The bafflement of officialdom, the conversion of friends (and strangers)

Why;

Because I didn't want to live in a grotty flat in London for the rest of my life

Edited by DaveP

I have a sleep disorder which became progressively more difficult to manage as I got older. The final straw was a serious back injury which put me out of action for 7 months. My partner gave up work to look after me, which enabled me to continue making a living via the laptop propped up on my chest.

Once I was free to sleep when I needed to, the rest of my health took a dramatic turn for the better. I didn't get a formal diagnosis until after I quit 9-5 work, and I couldn't face the idea of going back to trying to be normal that I decided to stick with the only treatment with a high success rate: adapt your lifestyle to your sleep pattern.

We've been living off a career development grant whilst I do my doctorate, and we're setting up a partnership so we can earn a living long-term. I can't work with administrators on process, but I still work with every boss I ever worked with on output, and I charge them FTE rates for whatever they need me to do whilst taking on work from anyone else offering something interesting.

And since we're not really tied to anywhere, but have ties to London, Birmingham, Bristol, Oxford and Cambridge, why not just simplify the whole holiday planning thing and go on a permanent holiday with occasional interruptions for the purpose of paying the bills. All we need is a 3G internet connection.

Kind of idyllic really. B)

Waking up in a new place, with the sound of birds chirping.

The sound of a kettle whisling on a gas cooker.

Less space to clean

A slower lifestyle

Viewing towns from the waterfront and arriving by boat instead of by car

Having Tesco deliver to the boat

Living a more active healthy lifestyle

Having a dedicated place for everything and no room for unneeded stuff

Less space to clean

A slower lifestyle

:wacko:

Blimey mate TESCOS far too bloody expensive and naff stuff have you not discovered Aldi and Lidl ? Cheaper better and often near a canal !

Less space to clean

A slower lifestyle

Please update your blog!!!! We have been reading it and need as many fixes as we can get until we sell up and do the same! :) its going to be a long weekend doing up the house, so need some relief

jim

:wacko:

Blimey mate TESCOS far too bloody expensive and naff stuff have you not discovered Aldi and Lidl ? Cheaper better and often near a canal !

:) We shop wherever we find a store...even cycled 2 miles with backpacks to fill up from Lidl...but my wife decided cat litter from the local Leeds Tesco Express was too expensive, and too heavy, and she wanted to try the online shopping experience. £4 delivery...:) It was quite funny to get a call from the guy at the end of the pier with an entire stack of groceries....seems she went a little mad on the "add to shopping basket" button.

Please update your blog!!!! We have been reading it and need as many fixes as we can get until we sell up and do the same! :) its going to be a long weekend doing up the house, so need some relief

jim

done:)

Solitude when I want it, companionship when I don't. Solitude in a house can be a trap, a boat can move to a different view.

I think Chagall's comment probably resonates the most for me. At least that is what I hoping, when I finally get there!