Curtains?

canaldrifter

Featured Posts

I'm beginning to think my boating life is coming to an end.

Leaving aside the financial issues, my mobility is not good and deteriorating quite fast.

I have had two quite seriously falls since I've been at this winter mooring. Once, off an icy gangplank. Luckily I landed on the river bank in stinging nettles, not in the water. The bank is deep and sloping. I had great trouble climbing up it.

And just now I fell off a step ladder. I find it difficult to stand up unsupported from a kneeling position, so I had put a step-ladder up against the side of the boat in order to get on to the cabin top. The boat is moored against a steel pontoon. I had climbed the ladder several times already, without mishap, but this once, it slid out from under me. Luckily the ladder itself prevented me from going down twixt boat and pontoon as the water is about nine feet deep here.

I hit the side of the boat quite hard on the way down, and although I haven't cracked any ribs, probably because an unhealthy amount of fat is protecting them, I have some nasty very painful bruising. Breathing is hard work.

Luckily my dodgy leg is unharmed.

Annoyingly I was stone cold sober too.

To add to the problem I am alone on this lock island (with the dog), and access is through locked gates on a private footpath. If I had gone in, and needed help, I wouldn't get it quick enough.

So, I'm sitting here contemplating. I'm in my 70th year. I've been boating on and off, mostly on, since I was a pre-teen. I've lived aboard for eleven years. Maybe it is time to give it up? My confidence has taken a bruising too.

Anyone want to swop a 1988 Alvechurch 2.52 BMC powered narrowboat, proven great for rivers but in need of a paint job, for a good reliable largish campervan plus about five grand?

Our trip up the Derwent this weekend is still on if anyone local wants to come. (I'll have lots of help then.) We leave Sutton upon Derwent lock at about midday Saturday. Bring own booze. Evening hot pot supplied.

I am now pleased that I have just applied for local sheltered accommodation. I think that decision might be wise for me... which is a first.

(I know this post is rather personal, but since I've been on CWF, you lot have sorta become family.

Please don't throw up.)

Tone

Sorry to hear your getting like I feel.

If you haven't best to get a full checkover including heart if you are not on pills already.

A friend of ours - the mainstay of his marina at 72 was as fit as a flea - he thought. At 6pm he finished a days boat blacking. At 3am he felt a bit ill and couldn't move. He had had a stoke and since then is confined to a wheelchair with limited movement having relearned how to speak. His wife doesn't drive but friends bring them down to sit in their boat - which was the home for years.

I'm just disapointed this isn't a thread about material curtains. :P

Sounds like your very at peace with what your doing. You can always do day trip boats etc if your really missing it. If your getting a camper aswell you can get and explore all the bits you can't get to by water.

Good luch with it all. :)

Oh dear Tone, I'm SO sorry, but I think you are being very wise to make contingency plans now while you are still able to. You could volunteer to help move/assist moving boats for forum members, (you could stay on ours for the odd week & take it down the cut and turn it to keep the engine/batteries in shape if you get withdrawal symptoms!)

Do get the ribs checked,if you are struggling to breathe. I tore the intercostal ligaments last year with a nasty viral cough, of all things & was given anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling/bruising, and Diazapam -which works as a muscle relaxant & eases the pain (I spent two hours out of every four in a coma, but it was great being able to get some sleep.) :(

I'm sorry Tone but I think that you've overlooked a little known Bye law that stipulates that, once you have become a Waterways institution, you are not allowed to leave...ever.

Seriously, though, I think only you can know when it becomes too much but I think you have made the right decision, if you are struggling with maintenance.

I don't think you'll be short of boating invites, though. They don't let you escape that easily.

I'd already thrown up at the thought of another poo hose, spraying elsan points, btw ;)

<snip>

My confidence has taken a bruising too.

<snip>

Tone

Hi Tone. I wonder how much of this is due to you being in pain and losing confidence. How will you be if you sort out your current problems, get the Doc to make sure there isn't anything behind your falls, the sun is out, the sky is blue...?

Richard

I think you are thinking very sensibly about all of this. I am in my youthfull 50s and often wonder about people who sell up and retire to a boat, I always think it is the wrong way around and would not dream of selling my house to live that dream. I am making do with a modest but affordable boat now and keeping a house. Living on a boat all the time is not easy and gets more difficult as one gets older. My parents moved into sheltered housing, not from a boat but from a 500 year old farm house when my Dad had a stroke. Dad died in 2009 but we know we do not have to worry about Mum at all even though she is in Guernsey and we are in the UK, we know she is safe and still going strong at 91.

Perhaps you could hang onto a small boat to enjoy while you are still able?

Had a similar conversation with my folks the other day.

They're in there mid 70's and both fit and well. They are reviewing coming back home (they currently live in Euroland on a DB). The current target is when they're 80.

Their feeling is to do it in a controlled manner when they are able, rather than when a situation dictates it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

I agree with Richard.

I can see how, once your confidence has been knocked, you might look at your general situation from a gloomy point of view. Nevertheless it might also be that this latest fall has been the catalyst for some serious planning for the future.

In a similar situation I would wait awhile to let the pain and bruising settle, your confidence and wellbeing may improve and then you will be in a better position to make serious plans. Decisions made now might be ones you regret when you are feeling better.

I agree with Bazza.

Another thing is, can you do anything to make boating life easier and reduce the risks? Change to a more accessible mooring, for example? Get some steps made up that can't slip?

It all sounds a bit 'all or nothing' at the moment and there could be more choice.

Sorry to read about your woes! Sounds sensible to me that you are considering your options. I would think that should you decide to stay with the boat for a while longer then a more inhabited area/marina would be very sensible, even if not so nice.

Whatever you decide - all the best :cheers:

John

you sad old fart :rolleyes: get yer ass down the pub with that soppy dog of yours and have a few beers [not too many]and think about what you will miss....Ok so you had a bit of a tumble and yes you have a dodgy leg' but bloody hell mate yer only 70 FFS that's only 6 years older than me and I've only just retired last Friday...and after all those years fitting carpets my old legs are beginning to play up too....I've know you a few years now and it was you that got me interested in canal boats...so don't give up...work through the pain,,,try to loose a bit of the puppy fat to take some of the weight off the legs [i'm doing the same doc's orders], and get better..........please,,,failing all that get a Winnebago :cheers:

Batman has Robin, The Lone Ranger Tonto, Morecombe had Wise, get the drift?

Must be lots out there would like to accompany you as crew, part or even full time, you must be able to pass a lot of invaliable experience on.

If you're worried about the water, get a life jacket, that'll give some of your confidence back

I've just woken up after an afternoon kipping, and I feel a bit betterer. Still painful and I will check in with the MD, just in case.

Thanks for all your considerate advice folks, especially yours Tel, "you sad old fart :rolleyes: get yer ass down the pub with that soppy dog of yours and have a few beers."

Just what I needed! (Except for you buying.) I had no idea you had done a course in rehabilitation psychology!

But.... I am taking the warning. Next time I fall I might not be so lucky. I think my solo boating days are over, and after this year I probably will give it up.

I had once thought that when I eventually have to give it up I would just sail out to sea and disappear, but that might be a waste of a good, if battered, boat.

So, as long as I can find crew to help, I'll have a think about it all this year.

So here's plan B. I am concerned that the Ribble Link might close through lack of funding for dredging, soon. I would love to do the Lanky again. I'm here on this lock island looking after (!) the cottage for a friend until the end of May, but then I could be cruising over the L&L, but not solo this time.

So, if anyone wants to come out and old fart-sit aboard, they would be welcome, June, July, August, September.

PM me?

Tone

So, if anyone wants to come out and old fart-sit aboard, they would be welcome, June, July, August, September.

My ambition is to become an old fart myself, so a bit of guidance and tutelage would be appreciated.

If you are willing to take on a padawan and teach me the ways of Old Fartiness, I can offer a few days of lock-opening and heavy lifting in late August. I'll bring a crate of beer.

My ambition is to become an old fart myself, so a bit of guidance and tutelage would be appreciated.

If you are willing to take on a padawan and teach me the ways of Old Fartiness, I can offer a few days of lock-opening and heavy lifting in late August. I'll bring a crate of beer.

Gawd Minos. A whole crate??

I'll PM you my phone number....

Tone

I have come a bit late to this thread and have to admit to feel a bit saddened at reading the OP, Tone.

We have not always seen eye to eye on here but that doesn't mean I cannot be a bit saddened when somebody thinks it's time to give up boating.

My take on this is boating does indeed require a degree of fitness and dexterity, single handing even more so. If you feel it's time to call it a day due to a lack of these and you are putting yourself at serious risk doing so, then yes it's time to call it a day.

I understand our boat was sold to us after the previous owners decided to go motor-homing so others do it, we caravanned for years too before we had a boat and travelled the length of breadth of England, Wales and France and enjoyed it immensely, it's not second best, just something different.

A bit 'direct' perhaps but you did ask Tone...

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

PS - there of course there is always the 'hotel boat' option now and then - don't think that will cut it for you.

Gawd... and I think I've got problems.

Mind you, lucky coma.hit.gif

Tone

You daft bugger! I had to go an check me spellin' I thought I'd put comma instead of coma!

I might have volunteered to old fart-sit, but now I know you just want to get yer 'ands on me fresh buns an' the rest of my hamper, tut! :o Get thee gone to a public house!

I might have volunteered to old fart-sit, but now I know you just want to get yer 'ands on me fresh buns an' the rest of my hamper, tut! :o Get thee gone to a public house!

Am I the only person who thinks that this is a perfectly reasonable ambition for him...?

A bit 'direct' perhaps but you did ask Tone...

Not at all. Much appreciated.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

PS - there of course there is always the 'hotel boat' option now and then - don't think that will cut it for you.

I've done hotel boat crew, and I don't think they could stand my advice....

Tone

You daft bugger! I had to go an check me spellin' I thought I'd put comma instead of coma!

Moi???

Nah. I'm just a dirty old boater with a passion for blondes. Lock up.....(or down) your daughters.

(I think there is a folk song about that)

Tone

Hi Tone

I think you're doing the right thing enlisting help for the summer (I'm sure you'll end up with plenty of offers) to give you time for a proper think about such a momentous decision. Our plans are too vague at the moment for concrete offers of help (we're hoping the new water pump arrives and can be fitted on time for our return over the Ribble Link next Thursday - if we have to postpone our crossing all our plans are up in smoke! :help: )

Keep us all posted as to your whereabouts cos I'm sure we'll spare a week at some point to gain some old Fartiness and maybe supplement your whisky supply (are you still on this year's monthly allowance or are you dipping into 2012 yet?)

Best of luck whatever you decide mate :cheers: