Oxford Canal Winding lengths

gasman

Featured Posts

I am thinking about hiring a narrowboat on the Oxford canal, from Napton to Oxford return, and was looking through Nicholsons guide to see where I

could turn somewhere near Oxford, Isis lock looked a good bet but the guide gives a limit of 50ft and the hire boat will probably be 60/62ft.

Looking on the google maps there would appear to be a good amount of room ( judging by the pictures of other boats in the area ) but of course the guide does not give depths, so maybe its shallow in places, the other alternative is to wind at dukes lock 44a well before Oxford. Has anyone turned

anything longer at isis lock ?

I am thinking about hiring a narrowboat on the Oxford canal, from Napton to Oxford return, and was looking through Nicholsons guide to see where I

could turn somewhere near Oxford, Isis lock looked a good bet but the guide gives a limit of 50ft and the hire boat will probably be 60/62ft.

Looking on the google maps there would appear to be a good amount of room ( judging by the pictures of other boats in the area ) but of course the guide does not give depths, so maybe its shallow in places, the other alternative is to wind at dukes lock 44a well before Oxford. Has anyone turned

anything longer at isis lock ?

You can go through Isis lock, wind and come back through without the need for a license.

You can go through Isis lock, wind and come back through without the need for a license.

Yes that was exactly what I did last summer when they were building the new landing stage there, which did make it a little interesting.

I am sure that is fine now though.

You definately cannot turn a 62ft narrowboat on the canal. I tried it with our 55ft boat. I know the sign says 50ft maximum but, like you, I thought there looked like there would be enough room. There isn't!. However as others have said just lock through Isis Lock. It is easy and quick as the lock will be set for you once you have done your 180 degree turn in the large turning area below.

Just wandering a little :smiley_offtopic:, do allow plenty of time for the journey below Dukes cut, there are a lot of permanently moored boats.

Yes. It's mostly the back of houses and playing fields too - pleasant enough but not very picturesque. If journey time is at all tight, but you want to spend some time in Oxford, then mooring up somewhere between Thrupp Wide and Kidlington Green Lock and getting the bus into town might be easier. Not sure what the public transport is like from Duke's Lock, but it's not easy finding a mooring there, although there is a patch just after the lock and before Agenda 21 starts which might be usable now that the roadworks are finished.

Thrupp cruising club publish/published a leaflet that shows where the moorings are in Oxford and how long you can stay on them. They are/were available at the water point in Thrupp, just by the book stall.

Yes. It's mostly the back of houses and playing fields too - pleasant enough but not very picturesque. If journey time is at all tight, but you want to spend some time in Oxford, then mooring up somewhere between Thrupp Wide and Kidlington Green Lock and getting the bus into town might be easier. Not sure what the public transport is like from Duke's Lock, but it's not easy finding a mooring there, although there is a patch just after the lock and before Agenda 21 starts which might be usable now that the roadworks are finished.

Do boat all the way to Oxford, yes its a bit slow passed all the moored boats but it is another side of canal life with people living along that stretch.

Also when you get to Isis lock there are good moorings down the end of the arm past the lock. You can't moor down there, you have to reverse back, but few boaters do it.

Edited by ditchcrawler

It's a nice enough stretch. But it's not gloriously beautiful, if that's what you're after. If you wanted to soak up the chocolate box aspects of Oxford and were short for time, boating all the way into the centre wouldn't be the best plan. If time is not an issue, then mooring up right in the centre is a pleasure. But I don't know that I'd bother if all I was going to do was turn around and come back again.

I believe the EA have recently proposed that in future boats will require a Thames licence if they want to wind below Isis Lock. Does anyone know what became of the proposal?

That's come up a few times. I can't imagine they mean it. Policing it would be expensive, Agenda 21 moorers would be trapped, and visitors would be put off cruising below Duke's Lock.

Of course, if you wanted to do Oxford properly, then get hold of a short term license and then you could moor up just past Folly Bridge turn in the river and come back viaPort Meadow and back onto the Oxford at Dukes Cut. That way you get to see Oxford at its best IMHO.

Edited by Tillerman

We had a week crusing down to Oxford last year and had three days moored near the centre - I lived in Oxford for many years, and miss it madly, so it was a wonderful way to have ready access to the museums, Parks restraunts etc etc.

we were there in June but there was plenty of mooring above Isis Lock and if you can get moored by Coombe Road Wharf (I think anyway where College Cruisers) are based, it is a 10 minute walk into the centre and you have superb access to The Old Bookbinders (probably a 90 second walk!)

Of course, if you wanted to do Oxford properly, then get hold of a short term license and then you could moor up just past Folly Bridge turn in the river and come back viaPort Meadow and back onto the Oxford at Dukes Cut. That way you get to see Oxford at its best IMHO.

That has got to be worth it for the cost of a day or two's license. Mooring by the Folly Bridge is entertaining. I did enjoy watching the rowing crews getting ready and setting off for their early morning sets as I leant out of the side hatch with a mug of tea and a bacon sandwich.

Edited by Morat

I believe the EA have recently proposed that in future boats will require a Thames licence if they want to wind below Isis Lock. Does anyone know what became of the proposal?

Presumably it is already the case technically, since EA now require all boats on backwaters connecetd to the Thames to be licenced for the Thames.

But it will be irrelevant if/when the new BW charity takes over the EA waterways.

David