Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Sounds great, but read the small print -

You will be required to hang around for up to two hours

Keeping station with a tide running

In waters (tidal river) unfamiliar to you

A relatively narrow channel

999 other boats jockying for station.

rowing boats / canoes also required to row at up to 4mph for two hours.

Sound sto me like a recipe for disaster and dreamed up by folk who have

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about navigation on water..

Could be fab if some organization who know what they're doing were in charge.

AVOID for the time being 'cos I think it's a fishing expedition....

Sounds great, but read the small print -

You will be required to hang around for up to two hours

Keeping station with a tide running

In waters (tidal river) unfamiliar to you

A relatively narrow channel

999 other boats jockying for station.

rowing boats / canoes also required to row at up to 4mph for two hours.

Sound sto me like a recipe for disaster and dreamed up by folk who have

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA about navigation on water..

Could be fab if some organization who know what they're doing were in charge.

AVOID for the time being 'cos I think it's a fishing expedition....

Just to add to the above.

Articles in the Guardian and NBW yesterday both referred to having to maintain a speed of 4 knots per hour. Perhaps NBW picked their piece up form the Guardian but I fear it may have come form a press release from the organiser and if so your suspicions appear well founded.

For the less nautical of our members a Knot is one nautical mile per hour so 4 knots an hour turns out to be a steady acceleration of 4 nautical miles per hour per hour. It would appear that the organisers intend to require boast to start at 4 knots and be travelling at 12 knots + at the end. Looks like it's just for ribs and Thames Clippers then. I would hate to think what anything larger would do to the banks at that speed. :D

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't see this everyday ...

jubilee-barge--a.jpg

More pictures at Hello Magazine

First images of the royal barge that will lead 1,000-boat flotilla. The ship that will lead a fleet of 1,000 boats down the river Thames in a spectacular show of pageantry for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee has been named. An artist's impression of the Spirit of Chartwell has been released based on designs which will transform the current barge for the celebrations next year. The monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh will travel along the water in ornate thrones under a golden canopy. The luxury cruiser has been donated for the occasion by owner Phillip Morrell.

In a nod to the richly decorated royal vessels of the 17th and 18th centuries, the sides of the barge will be madeover with red drapes, while the Queen's cipher and a crown will be displayed on the bow. The floral displays will feature a red, gold and purple colour scheme with flowers from the Queen's own gardens.

• Greenie 1

Don't see this everyday ...

jubilee-barge--a.jpg

More pictures at Hello Magazine

First images of the royal barge that will lead 1,000-boat flotilla. The ship that will lead a fleet of 1,000 boats down the river Thames in a spectacular show of pageantry for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee has been named. An artist's impression of the Spirit of Chartwell has been released based on designs which will transform the current barge for the celebrations next year. The monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh will travel along the water in ornate thrones under a golden canopy. The luxury cruiser has been donated for the occasion by owner Phillip Morrell.

In a nod to the richly decorated royal vessels of the 17th and 18th centuries, the sides of the barge will be madeover with red drapes, while the Queen's cipher and a crown will be displayed on the bow. The floral displays will feature a red, gold and purple colour scheme with flowers from the Queen's own gardens.

LOVE IT. Have a greenie.

Brian