Riveting stuff

Dominic M

Featured Posts

Personally I don't care whether someone wants fake rivets, on their clonecraft.

Their boat, their choice.

I do reserve the right to have an opinion on how they look, though.

I'd give you a greeny for that, but I've used all mine up on myself.

Have a fake greeny instead:

greeny

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

I feel the same about Take That, but somebody must like them.

Well, yes. Pop bands are manufactured for a reason - to sell to people with raging hormones and no understanding of good music (yet). :P

(To be fair, Take That have matured nicely. But that might just be my raging hormones. :unsure:)

The reality as I see it is; no one but the purists actually give a stuff how you choose to decorate your boat.

I've said that I find it to be an indication that the owner may be less friendly than most, but I simply do not care if you choose to paint the thing lime green with pink spots, your boat matters not one iota to me. Its your attitude.

Not only that, but bolts in that area would be countersunk and filled over, so you wouldn't see them ;)

It's 'boatbuilders' who stick them on in the wrong places which are the ones worthy of mocking, IMO, rather than the owners.

I agree they can look OK if really well done, but I wouldn't pay the extra (not that I'll ever be in the position to choose!)

Tim

The real tests of boat-building skill are:

Does the boat swim well?

Is it built to be easy to maintain?

Will it last?

Does it look nice? may be important, but it's less important than these.

BTW brass tiller bars are mainly a fairly new thing - they would have been a serious bit of bling for working boats, and tiller pins if brass would have been a sawn off poker handle.

Tim

I was told (by an old boater) that they were not liked as brass had a tendency to snap when leaning hard on it.

Well each to their own I guess. Personally I like the fake rivetts and will be paying a no doubt extortionate fee to have these on our new build. I see no harm in replicatng the past in fact it is a good thing when the originals are becoming a rarer sight. I suppose those people who think it is a sham also think that building Tornado was a waste of time?

Boondock

Idon't think you can compare a cheap welded steel tube with washers welded onto it with the beutifully engineered 'Tornado'

Now if someone built a proper replica of a working boat put together with real rivits then fair enough.

• Greenie 1

The real tests of boat-building skill are:

Does the boat swim well?

Is it built to be easy to maintain?

Will it last?

Does it look nice? may be important, but it's less important than these.

But what's the point in adding something (wrongly placed washers) which doesn't actually improve the appearance or help with any of the above? :rolleyes:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I was told (by an old boater) that they were not liked as brass had a tendency to snap when leaning hard on it.

I'd have thought the wooden handles we like to fit into the ends of our tillers are far more likely to snap than the brass bar.

This strikes me as a significant and generally unrecognised safety risk as if the handle snaps whilst the steerer is leaning hard on it they are highly likely to go overboard.

Are these wooden handles a recent development or have tillers always had thin, snap-able wooden handles attached to the ends? The inside diameter of my brass tiller bar is probably only about 1", and this is the diameter of the piece of wood I am pushing my weight against when turning hard. I always hold the back cabin superstructure with the other hand when doing this since the risk was pointed out to me, but I notice most boaters don't.

Mike

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I'd have thought the wooden handles we like to fit into the ends of our tillers are far more likely to snap than the brass bar. This strikes me as a significant and generally unrecognised safety risk as if the handle snaps whilst the steerer is leaning hard on it they are highly likely to go overboard.

Are these wooden handles a recent development or have tillers always had thin wooden handles attached to the ends?

Mike

Not so much snapping in the hand, but pulling out unexpectedly can have the same result. A good soaking in a bucket works well.

(Sits back with popcorn and waits for the double entendre police to come in baton waving).

Tone

I'd have thought the wooden handles we like to fit into the ends of our tillers are far more likely to snap than the brass bar.

This strikes me as a significant and generally unrecognised safety risk as if the handle snaps whilst the steerer is leaning hard on it they are highly likely to go overboard.

Are these wooden handles a recent development or have tillers always had thin, snap-able wooden handles attached to the ends? The inside diameter of my brass tiller bar is probably only about 1", and this is the diameter of the piece of wood I am pushing my weight against when turning hard. I always hold the back cabin superstructure with the other hand when doing this since the risk was pointed out to me, but I notice most boaters don't.

Mike

Yes they've always had wooden handles but they are/were thicker than that on working Narrow Boats.

Tim

I can only assume that there is far less leverage on the wooden handle than there is futher back down the tiller. I have never seen it happen or know anyone who it has directly happened to - maybe it one of those old boatmans tales, but brass does have the ability/tendancy to sheer if it gets a weak spot and leverage on it so it could be true.

The most beautiful boat in our marina is hugely metallic and is a - I think maybe some sort of tug or a boat like Heather Bell which carried cargo on the Worcester and Birmingham before WW2. It is about 60' with carrying space and real rivets, is covered in rust and has about a thousand times the attitude of the brand new fake rivet boat newly in the water two boats away. The owner of that, who gets a new one each second year - which means he has probably ordered the replacement before he takes the current on its first two week holiday trip has been boating for long enough for his wife to tell hirers and folks like us who obviously know little from doing 14,000 locks off for not doing it her way. I have never seen the owner of my favourite boat - I wonder if it owns itself as it looks like it could it having so much class.

But what's the point in adding something (wrongly placed washers) which doesn't actually improve the appearance or help with any of the above? :rolleyes:

Tim

I don't really care.

If it swims well, is easy to fix and built to last, then the decoration is a minor issue.

I'd rather have a washer josher that handles than an honest boat that's a dog.

What about boats that have a metal sloping roof to mimic clothed up sheets?

Looks "good" (not to me) but restricts your living space.

Nowt wrong with a few fake rivets. The OP has got it right - mere decoration not form over function like a slopey roof.

Mark