under fire!

jim and pat dalton

Featured Posts

Please all, bear in mind that Council housing stock is no-longer easily available.

The last round of reform a couple of years ago looked at how much money was available to you upon making an application; if you can afford a deposit you lose a lot of priority.

It will get worse as Mr Cameron has said he intends to remove the right to a Council House (if he's not already done it).

WE are doing the same. The last few weeks have involved many trips to the tip or the charity shop. Ebay has taken over my life as well. We are both going to be early retired, I have stopped work, Judi stops on Wednesday. Once house is rented, we are off to the boat. Going to give it two years. If then we like it, then maybe sell the house. If not, sell the boat and move back to an empty house!!

Same sort of stuff from rellies. Are you mad, etc etc.

Mother at 89 does not know where she is never mind us.

So, this life is not a rehearsal - go and do it. The worst that could happen is death, and that is on its way anyway. Enjoy life whilst you can.

Thats just my view.

Edited by jelunga

Never mind what others think, don't be guided by doubting Thomas's use your stomach as a guide, if it churns a bit occasionally with a mixture of fear and excitement when you think about doing a project then go for it! When it stops churning do something to bring it back. Adrenaline, it's the only thing that makes you feel truly alive.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Welcome to the forum. Are your the Jim and Pat who were at Bourne Aerodrome last year organising a fly-in?

If so I was one of the ground crew.

bluddy hell!!! how r u doing?

its us

and we are doing it again this year but for even more burns victims, like 80 instead of 40 or so

We remember your camper van and you telling us you were canal folk, I think if you go to youtube, you will find yourself walking across the screen at 42 sec onwards and I was only thinking of you when typing that post. a good rewarding days work, thanks! The sky that night you camped at Bourn in the pitch black must have been magical.

Burned Children's Club Flying Day 09 is the search you need on you tube. Wow isnt that cool the way it turns up on the url below with your camper van in the background against the coach

thank you for your help

We are never going to ever stop raising money or stop supporting these kids..(Btw I'm in the hat about 7' 15secs) or so. I love them to death, they are brilliant and we have changed thier lives and ours too and so have you being a part of it(thank you) and I must admit I was wondering if it would be possible to do an valuable experiance day on boats too?

Anyway Apart from a very educationable day last june when we nearly killed ourselves flying across the mini pyrenees enroute via a bbq to italy in the most awful weather(80mph winds and rain 7 peeps were killed in the susequent floods). we were queitly flying in g-utsy (appears at 8,51 secs in above vid ) before being whacked in the face by the maelstrom. anyway we survived by seconds and are still going well and looking for some more sane and sensible fun perhaps in a new more sane adventure!!!!.......is that possible

BTW on that day, we sold g-onhh (thanks to the owner) the little petty red bird (picture in the url link) for £12.5k and gave all of the proceeds directly to the burned kids charity..... a most fantastic day!

hope your both well

Jim and Pat

Edited by jim and pat dalton

Nothing but encouragement here so far. I would be careful of those who dive into a freezing lake and then cry "Come on in." "The water is lovely!"

Having leisure boated for ten years now we wouldn't dream of selling the house and moving aboard. I would recommend that you try more than a week and do so in mid winter before you make a decision.

Whilst we can happily live in a narrow tube for a week or two, it would drive us mad if we had to do so permanently. You will get lots of euphoric talk about having the countryside as your garden, wildlife etc. No different to having a permanent caravan/motorhome/country cottage/ house in a rural area or just going for a walk in he countryside regularly.

It is not as peaceful as it appears. Look at the number of moans on these forums about speeding boats, mooring in awkward places, ettiquette at locks, dog muck, water levels, British Waterways incompetence.......... The list goes on and on and a lot of these complaints are from those who live aboard and are encouraging you to do the same.

We could retire and boat permanently but we like the lifestyle that two good incomes provides. Both of us enjoy our jobs.

We:

Don't do gardening - have a visiting gardener.

Don't do DIY - pay tradesmen.

Don't do cleaning at home - have cleaners in weekly.

Eat out at least three times a week.

Run two cars without having to make sure that they are in the right place all the time.

Pay no mortgage.

Don't get cold in the winter fetching fuel/water or emptying toilets etc or get stuck in one place for weeks on end as some have last year.

Don't have to worry constantly about the state of the charge in our batteries (Look at the number of threads on the subject of batteries here to see what I mean).

Don't have to chase our post around the country.

Don't have to find somewhere to live when the boat is out of the water.

Don't have problems registering with doctors etc.

But we go boating when we feel like it which is quite often.

• Greenie 1

Nothing but encouragement here so far. I would be careful of those who dive into a freezing lake and then cry "Come on in." "The water is lovely!"

Having leisure boated for ten years now we wouldn't dream of selling the house and moving aboard. I would recommend that you try more than a week and do so in mid winter before you make a decision.

Whilst we can happily live in a narrow tube for a week or two, it would drive us mad if we had to do so permanently. You will get lots of euphoric talk about having the countryside as your garden, wildlife etc. No different to having a permanent caravan/motorhome/country cottage/ house in a rural area or just going for a walk in he countryside regularly.

It is not as peaceful as it appears. Look at the number of moans on these forums about speeding boats, mooring in awkward places, ettiquette at locks, dog muck, water levels, British Waterways incompetence.......... The list goes on and on and a lot of these complaints are from those who live aboard and are encouraging you to do the same.

We could retire and boat permanently but we like the lifestyle that two good incomes provides. Both of us enjoy our jobs.

We:

Don't do gardening - have a visiting gardener.

Don't do DIY - pay tradesmen.

Don't do cleaning at home - have cleaners in weekly.

Eat out at least three times a week.

Run two cars without having to make sure that they are in the right place all the time.

Pay no mortgage.

Don't get cold in the winter fetching fuel/water or emptying toilets etc or get stuck in one place for weeks on end as some have last year.

Don't have to worry constantly about the state of the charge in our batteries (Look at the number of threads on the subject of batteries here to see what I mean).

Don't have to chase our post around the country.

Don't have to find somewhere to live when the boat is out of the water.

Don't have problems registering with doctors etc.

But we go boating when we feel like it which is quite often.

Hi again :D

This post must not put you off doing what you want. Of course some people dont want to live on a boat that is their right and their loss but it is easy to find negatives about anything, if I wanted I could post a much longer list of negatives about house dwelling after all we have all been there, done that and got rid of the T shirt. Is you glass half full or half empty ?

I am off again in three weeks cruising for all summer......gosh wish I was stuck in one place still working when I dont need to :wacko:

:D

Hi again :D

This post must not put you off doing what you want. Of course some people dont want to live on a boat that is their right and their loss but it is easy to find negatives about anything, if I wanted I could post a much longer list of negatives about house dwelling after all we have all been there, done that and got rid of the T shirt. Is you glass half full or half empty ?

I am off again in three weeks cruising for all summer......gosh wish I was stuck in one place still working when I dont need to :wacko:

:D

Ok, if it suits you. For us, boating is a leisure activity not a lifestyle. You were probably stuck in one place for the winter anyway. I can't imagine what we would do with ourselves cooped up in a very small space for all that time without work to keep us busy. Work is not a necessary evil for me. I am MD of my own business and find it fascinating. She is financial cotroller of a much larger company and really likes her job.

I was thinking about this last night. She was watching Dancing on Ice in the lounge whilst I watched the Antiques Road Show in the kitchen - couldn't do that on a boat. We didn't consider that the use of two televisions might reduce our available electricity supply. Earlier we had visits from two of my children complete with partners and three grandchildren - nine people including us. Couldn't do that easily on a narrow boat in winter.

I am not the least bit envious of anyone setting off on the cut for the summer. I think I'd get bored. Three weeks is enough for me.

As it is I think we get the best of both worlds.

• Greenie 2

I was thinking about this last night. She was watching Dancing on Ice in the lounge whilst I watched the Antiques Road Show in the kitchen - couldn't do that on a boat. We didn't consider that the use of two televisions might reduce our available electricity supply.

We do...and I have seen several boats with double LNB's running dual cables...so I guess I'm not the only one...

I can't understand someone wanting to do this for Dancing on ice....but Coronation Street is a different matter !!

:rolleyes:

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

We are all different, so each to their own.

I to loved my work in fact I loved it so much, I nearly let it kill me.

I was mortgage free, lived in a good area, with good neighbours, you could say life was good, maybe ate out once a week, had more than one TV etc. get the drift.

I would not go back, life on the cut is where I'm at and it is good.

WE are doing the same. The last few weeks have involved many trips to the tip or the charity shop. Ebay has taken over my life as well. We are both going to be early retired, I have stopped work, Judi stops on Wednesday. Once house is rented, we are off to the boat. Going to give it two years. If then we like it, then maybe sell the house. If not, sell the boat and move back to an empty house!!

Same sort of stuff from rellies. Are you mad, etc etc.

Mother at 89 does not know where she is never mind us.

So, this life is not a rehearsal - go and do it. The worst that could happen is death, and that is on its way anyway. Enjoy life whilst you can.

Thats just my view.

I've told..of us before..but it goes like this :

Sold big house.

Got rid...of everything other than few momentos and photos...put into 12sqft storage unit.

Bought 2 smaller properties.. with procedes.

Rent them out fully managed.

Got rid of car.

Rent marina for winter 5-6 months...to winter the boat.

Then...go somewhere warm..this year...Spain..

Nice villa 350 Euros a month..Sky TV and internet..no council tax..swimming pool

Return to boat..end April..hire cheap car...do medical/dentist things..

get boat up and running...terminate marina...no car...so save £1200 in summer..on marina.

Save car costs of road tax...insurance...depreciation..

Cruise for 5-6 months..put boat into a different marina...as we do not have to return 'to base'

Repeat above..with variation on winter sun..

maybe Cyprus winter 2011 !!

As already said by others ..people like to visit you on the boat...and people also like to visit us in Spain for cheap winter holidays !!

Cheers to Sangria ! :cheers:

Bob

bluddy hell!!! how r u doing?

its us

and we are doing it again this year but for even more burns victims, like 80 instead of 40 or so

We remember your camper van and you telling us you were canal folk, I think if you go to youtube, you will find yourself walking across the screen at 42 sec onwards and I was only thinking of you when typing that post. a good rewarding days work, thanks! The sky that night you camped at Bourn in the pitch black must have been magical.

Burned Children's Club Flying Day 09 is the search you need on you tube. Wow isnt that cool the way it turns up on the url below with your camper van in the background against the coach

thank you for your help

We are never going to ever stop raising money or stop supporting these kids..(Btw I'm in the hat about 7' 15secs) or so. I love them to death, they are brilliant and we have changed thier lives and ours too and so have you being a part of it(thank you) and I must admit I was wondering if it would be possible to do an valuable experiance day on boats too?

Anyway Apart from a very educationable day last june when we nearly killed ourselves flying across the mini pyrenees enroute via a bbq to italy in the most awful weather(80mph winds and rain 7 peeps were killed in the susequent floods). we were queitly flying in g-utsy (appears at 8,51 secs in above vid ) before being whacked in the face by the maelstrom. anyway we survived by seconds and are still going well and looking for some more sane and sensible fun perhaps in a new more sane adventure!!!!.......is that possible

BTW on that day, we sold g-onhh (thanks to the owner) the little petty red bird (picture in the url link) for £12.5k and gave all of the proceeds directly to the burned kids charity..... a most fantastic day!

hope your both well

Jim and Pat

Hi Jim, hi Pat,

hello from another pilot here !... we met you I am sure at the PFA rally years ago in Cranfield. We flew over regularly from Ireland to the UK in a Condor (Still do in a C42). I ran the Irish fly in website for years and saw your names there a few times !

The Pyrenees can be lethal, We flew 2 years ago from Ireland/Wales/UK/France/Germany/Austria/Poland/France/Spain/Portugal & home via the Channel Islands in the C42 with MTOW of 472KGS !... a wonderful trip.

At 42 years old I have lost my pilots medical with a heart condition and no longer able to hold a Class 2. Like yourselves we are looking for another adventure, I have held a pilots license since I was 16.

Dont let the negatives put you off, "those who never chanced anything, never had anything". We are currently looking at the options available, new boat or used, all the questions newbies have. Have spent a few months on different models and sizes and so far we like the life. Intend to initially spend 6 mts a year on-board and spend the summers here in Ireland and see where we go. We will keep our house and land as it would be irreplaceable if I sold it, I am in the process of winding down the business and will rent out my business property as it is all freehold units. We have no pension provision, rather our pensions are all in property that is rented and affords us a good return in our early 40's.

If there is one thing we can take away from this life is the ability to say "I did it" , if it is right for you then go with it, dont let life run past you... grasp it and live it to the full and always remember work to live and not live to work! Good luck with it and enjoy the move.

Ok, if it suits you. For us, boating is a leisure activity not a lifestyle. You were probably stuck in one place for the winter anyway. I can't imagine what we would do with ourselves cooped up in a very small space for all that time without work to keep us busy. Work is not a necessary evil for me. I am MD of my own business and find it fascinating. She is financial cotroller of a much larger company and really likes her job.

I was thinking about this last night. She was watching Dancing on Ice in the lounge whilst I watched the Antiques Road Show in the kitchen - couldn't do that on a boat. We didn't consider that the use of two televisions might reduce our available electricity supply. Earlier we had visits from two of my children complete with partners and three grandchildren - nine people including us. Couldn't do that easily on a narrow boat in winter.

I am not the least bit envious of anyone setting off on the cut for the summer. I think I'd get bored. Three weeks is enough for me.

As it is I think we get the best of both worlds.

:cheers:

You are right it takes all kinds, i thank god my life is not so bad as to have need for two tellys or to watch two mind numbingly boring programs we have far too interesting a time to watch more than the odd hour here and there we are usualy eating out with friends like last night, tonight oh and tomorrow night............blimey I so miss the house :lol:

You are right it takes all kinds, i thank god my life is not so bad as to have need for two tellys or to watch two mind numbingly boring programs we have far too interesting a time to watch more than the odd hour here and there we are usualy eating out with friends like last night, tonight oh and tomorrow night............blimey I so miss the house :lol:

I know...they should be watching Corrie !!

Bob

Now ya talking Corrie is the biz............ :blush:

I reckon a soap called 'Canal World' based on this forum would have the right combination of death, disaster, bickering, back-stabbing, sex, drunkenness, violence and rock and roll afloat to be a national hit.

Any BBC or ITV execs reading? I don't want much for my idea. A few hundred quid per episode would do if it is shown twice a week.... oh and can I make cameo appearances and get an Equity card please?

ta

Tone

Edited to add 'drunkenness'

Edited by canaldrifter

I reckon a soap called 'Canal World' based on this forum would have the right combination of death, disaster, bickering, back-stabbing, sex, drunkenness, violence and rock and roll afloat to be a national hit.

Any BBC or ITV execs reading? I don't want much for my idea. A few hundred quid per episode would do if it is shown twice a week.... oh and can I make cameo appearances and get an Equity card please?

ta

Tone

Edited to add 'drunkenness'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[snip]

I recognise most of that but seem to have missed the sex bit !

Please point me in the right direction.

Hi Jim, hi Pat,

hello from another pilot here !... we met you I am sure at the PFA rally years ago in Cranfield. We flew over regularly from Ireland to the UK in a Condor (Still do in a C42). I ran the Irish fly in website for years and saw your names there a few times !

Hi Jonkil nice to hear from you, glad your still going. Was I sober or completely gone at cranfield? Seem to remember after one night in the bar, I had to wait until 5pm the next day before I dared get in our aircraft!!!!!

Please all, bear in mind that Council housing stock is no-longer easily available.

Question about the council housing thing: Locally there are generally waiting lists and priorities for council houses. Is it safe to assume you can present yourself on the steps of a town hall one day and expect to be looked after immediately?

I believe that is the law, though I understand you mustn't have made yourself deliberately homeless. Obviously, the older/more infirm you are, the greater your priority, though not sure how you'd go on if you still owned the boat/had the proceeds in the bank. Perhaps rent privately till the cash ran out, then either the social pick up the tab, or the landlord evicts, when you present yourself on the town hall steps anyway.

A friend sorted his mother's finances long, long before the inevitable happened (think it has to be 7 years min) he took over the family home and she moved into a small bungalow belonging to him, with a clause in the lease that he could evict if the tennant ever became infirm or unstable and unable to look after the property correctly. 10 years on she had a long spell in hospital and needed medical care on relese for some time so checked into a nursing home. When eventually the authorities thought she was fit to go home (basically when her savings ran out), she had no home to go to.

I believe that is the law, though I understand you mustn't have made yourself deliberately homeless. Obviously, the older/more infirm you are, the greater your priority, though not sure how you'd go on if you still owned the boat/had the proceeds in the bank. Perhaps rent privately till the cash ran out, then either the social pick up the tab, or the landlord evicts, when you present yourself on the town hall steps anyway.

A friend sorted his mother's finances long, long before the inevitable happened (think it has to be 7 years min) he took over the family home and she moved into a small bungalow belonging to him, with a clause in the lease that he could evict if the tennant ever became infirm or unstable and unable to look after the property correctly. 10 years on she had a long spell in hospital and needed medical care on relese for some time so checked into a nursing home. When eventually the authorities thought she was fit to go home (basically when her savings ran out), she had no home to go to.

Whatever happened in the past, all bets are off now. Even if statutarily homeless, legislation currently going through parliament (the Localism Bill) would remove your right to be permanently housed. The best they want you to hope for now is temporary accommodation until you can fend for yourself. You might once have been assured of better treatment as an older person, but there seems to be a bit of a backlash against the 'baby boomer' generation now.