under fire!

jim and pat dalton

Featured Posts

And the sheer hilarious stupidity of someone who actually did that in the belief that it's possible to live well on benefits in this country. It's not.

We will agree to disagree, the fact is.... I wont ever rely on the state paying me anything.... never did, never will..... not even a pension.

And being able to say that I wont call them to do so is all because I got off my butt and worked....period.

Can you say the same?

Rant over

We will agree to disagree, the fact is.... I wont ever rely on the state paying me anything.... never did, never will..... not even a pension.

And being able to say that I wont call them to do so is all because I got off my butt and worked....period.

Well, you know, congratulations. This country has a minimum wage which is well below the poverty line and 20% of its population living in poverty. You were lucky enough to avoid being one of them. Well done you! Have a biscuit.

But why does that make you hate people who are forced to rely on help from the state? Do you think all the low paid jobs magically disappear when people work hard? That if only we all worked hard enough, there would be no employers paying less than a living wage?

Can you say the same?

Why on earth would I want to say the same? If I thought living in a country with no taxes and no social security was a good thing, I'd have moved to Somalia by now.

What a very good point, we were impressed with the number of friendly and helpful people we met on our little january break

Jim

Take heart and do as you wish, at the age of 55 we sold our house, bought a boat and hve never looked back. We are now on our 2nd boat and happily retired and loving the life still after 10 years afloat.

JUST DO IT!!!!

Phil

Sounds to me like you are a few years ahead of Circe and me.

Unfortunately we have to wait for the children to finish growing up and bugger off before we can sell up and clamber aboard.

Our plan is to sell our house, pay someone to custom fit sixty-or-so feet of NB, hopefully enraging a few traditionalists along the way, and then spend the rest of our lives exploring the waterways of Europe.

After a lifetime of working hard, you are entitled to change your lifestyle.

Our plan is to sell our house, pay someone to custom fit sixty-or-so feet of NB, hopefully enraging a few traditionalists along the way, and then spend the rest of our lives exploring the waterways of Europe.

We'll look out for you! :cheers:

ps Keep it under 65' to avoid the new regs(TRIWV)that we've got to meet somehow.

Edited by wandering snail

We'll look out for you! :cheers:

ps Keep it under 65' to avoid the new regs(TRIWV)that we've got to meet somehow.

I'm envious! We've a few years yet - which gives me a bit of time to learn Dutch. I'm living vicariously through your blog, you know :)

We're thinking 62' so we can squeeze down the Leeds/Liverpool as well.

Thats a thing! Can anyone explain to us the impact of buying a 70 footer (apart from not using parts of the nework) in relation to TRIWV.

Ive tried downloading it but getting nowhere today

Whats does the impact of this directive mean for the "uk" canalboaters in changes to thier craft. is it just a better MOT? or does your craft have to change? does anyone understand it?

Btw just about to go out to lunch with Pats Brother (who suddenly wants to lunch with us), so ammo in back pocket and ready to fire back!!

Thats a thing! Can anyone explain to us the impact of buying a 70 footer (apart from not using parts of the nework) in relation to TRIWV.

Ive tried downloading it but getting nowhere today

Whats does the impact of this directive mean for the "uk" canalboaters in changes to thier craft. is it just a better MOT? or does your craft have to change? does anyone understand it?

I think that UK boaters with a 20m or over boat don't have to worry about any of this as your canals have not been classed as commercial.

European waterways are rather different as most have commercial use still. We will have to comply with our 21m boat by 2014 on Belgian waters (the cut off date depends on the age of your boat) and 2018 if we remain in France. There are 260+ pages of regs which I can send you if you have trouble sleeping. The good news, well slightly better news, is that pleasure boats in Europe who do not want to go on the Rhine can comply with a less stringent set of regs,which I could also send if you want, unless they're over 24m when you are classed as commercial and that's a very different ball game.

I'm envious! We've a few years yet - which gives me a bit of time to learn Dutch. I'm living vicariously through your blog, you know :)

We're thinking 62' so we can squeeze down the Leeds/Liverpool as well.

Glad to be of service. Where would you like to go next?

BTW, can a 62 footer squeeze thru the L&L lox even diagonally?

BTW, can a 62 footer squeeze thru the L&L lox even diagonally?

Yes, acquaintances of mine have done it, even sharing locks with other friends in their shorter boat. IIRC there might have been a couple of locks where they had to single out and it is tight but it can be done. What can be more problematical though are the gushers from the gates washing over the decks (and the steerer when descending). A few years ago I had the rope washed off the front deck of my 59ft boat in a couple of the Bingley 5 Rise. Barry was rather disheartened at the state of his locks that year but the hanging gardens of Bingley (vegetation growing on the gates) were rather impressive :o

Roger

I know Circe wants to reach the Med, and I have every intention of spending at least a year on the Canal du Midi.

After that, I suppose I would need to learn how to speak German...

Alsace and hopefully Basle no good then?

I assume you intend to do the Rhone au Rhin (aka River Doubs) rather than the Rhin/Rhein/Rhine from Strasbourg :) - we did the former last Sep - its very pretty and you will enjoy the weirs (not)- I suggest you avoid the Spring :)

Peter

I assume you intend to do the Rhone au Rhin (aka River Doubs) rather than the Rhin/Rhein/Rhine from Strasbourg :) - we did the former last Sep - its very pretty and you will enjoy the weirs (not)- I suggest you avoid the Spring :)

Peter

Yes we are using the Rhone au Rhin and it won't be the spring, much too exciting! Did you get to Basle? If so, where are the moorings? We know it's the Rhine for the last bit and have had conflicting advice from commercials, some say yes for us, others praps not so wondered if you'd found the current a problem. Had also planned to go on the Rhine to Strasbourg afterwards, assuming the Colmar's still closed. Sorry folks, :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by wandering snail

Stopped at Mulhouse due to chomages - as an nb are you permitted on the Rhine? Good luck!

Peter

Probably not but we'll give it a go. We're not quite a 'normal'nb (crew as well as boat),we've a bigger engine and prop so lots more torque and power than usual.Managed well in a force6 on a very wide waterway once so we'll see. The police will prob. have other ideas.... :wacko:

When did unemployment prevent the movement of a boat? Do you mean greves? (sorry this thing won't do a grave accent. Make sense of that, non-Francophones!

No, he means a chomage - a stoppage. Had enough of greves last summer, little loves. Wonder if this year will be any different :glare: