under fire!

jim and pat dalton

Featured Posts

Hi

After only two two weekends on our NB, two friends of ours went home and put their huge retirement bungalow on the market.

They bought a little semi and a new Jonathan Wilson NB, Both were in their 60's, she had had 2 hip replacements and he had raging arthritis.

They eventually sold the semi and moved aboard permanently. Eventually after many years they were too infirm to carry on and sold the boat.

They put themselves on their local councill housing list and within weeks had a lovely rented, wardened, pensioners flat.

They had brilliant time and have no regrets.

Life is too short and you are dead along time.

You are not here for a long time - You are here for a good time.

Alex

What an uplifting story! We have the boat - but still got a house, alas. When we can sell it we'll also take to the water - but probably buy a little flat as a bolt hole for old age - and to keep the things I can't bear to get rid of!

We go on about people not working and claiming dole money etc but no one condemns people selling their houses, spending the money and then looking to be housed by the council. What is the difference?

Sue

I don't.

Edited by Chertsey

Hi

After only two two weekends on our NB, two friends of ours went home and put their huge retirement bungalow on the market.

They bought a little semi and a new Jonathan Wilson NB, Both were in their 60's, she had had 2 hip replacements and he had raging arthritis.

They eventually sold the semi and moved aboard permanently. Eventually after many years they were too infirm to carry on and sold the boat.

They put themselves on their local councill housing list and within weeks had a lovely rented, wardened, pensioners flat.

They had brilliant time and have no regrets.

Life is too short and you are dead along time.

You are not here for a long time - You are here for a good time.

Alex

Very inspirational words :cheers:

8 years ago we did a big move from a city to a small town in Mid Wales, and many of these similar comments were aimed at us.

Those friends who were positive then are still our friends now. Those that were derogatory and wouldn't understand we now aren't in contact with!

In the future we might think about buying a boat and "disappearing" as we both would like to do the full "circuit", but I'm sure that these friends would support us doing that (some would probably be envious!)

Personally, say "lump of grass and earth" off to the negatives, and DO IT!!!

We go on about people not working and claiming dole money etc but no one condemns people selling their houses, spending the money and then looking to be housed by the council. What is the difference?

Sue

There is a very big difference !

People who worked all their lives and paid taxes/social insurance and God knows what else should be taken care of in their old age. The parasites that lift the dole all their life, live like a parasite on the rest of society and will expect to have this treatment until they die and never contribute anything.... THEY DONT DESERVE ANYTHING.... people who contribute do.

I've worked since 14 years old, paid enough taxes to see me out...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Yahoo! what a ride'" .... and if paying my taxes helps me achieve this, then happy days.

The Government will owe me when I am decrepit enough, old and worn out with the snot running of my nose and needing my arse cleaned...... until then "one life, live it to the full"

• Greenie 1

Sue

To me that would be the last resort. It's my wish to wake up dead one morning, the day after I had spent my last pound.

There is a very big difference !

People who worked all their lives and paid taxes/social insurance and God knows what else should be taken care of in their old age. The parasites that lift the dole all their life, live like a parasite on the rest of society and will expect to have this treatment until they die and never contribute anything.... THEY DONT DESERVE ANYTHING.... people who contribute do.

I've worked since 14 years old, paid enough taxes to see me out...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'Yahoo! what a ride'" .... and if paying my taxes helps me achieve this, then happy days.

The Government will owe me when I am decrepit enough, old and worn out with the snot running of my nose and needing my arse cleaned...... until then "one life, live it to the full"

You seem to have moved the goalposts there. The question wasn't about people who 'worked hard all their lives', it was about people who deliberately squander their wealth in order to sponge off the state compared to those who deliberately avoid work in order to sponge off the state.

I sometimes wonder if any super-gullible and/or pathologically jealous fools have actually given it all up for a cushy life on benefits and, if so, how they're enjoying life below the poverty level now. :wacko:

The question wasn't about people who 'worked hard all their lives', it was about people who deliberately squander their wealth in order to sponge off the state compared to those who deliberately avoid work in order to sponge off the state.

There is basically 2 ways wealth is accumulated.... inherit it or make it.

If we make it then we have worked, and by definition if we end "wealthy" or even well off then we will have paid our fair dues/taxes/VAT/corporation tax e.t.c, e.t.c not to mention the capital appreciation of our fixed assets that we probably had a mortgage on during or working life.

If I have earned my money then I should spend it when I can, when I arrive at retirement or whatever later on then the money the Government had from me during my working life can be utilized for my up-keep. I don't see that as sponging, rather taking back what I am owed.

How very insulting to her. Clearly without you, your 'friends' believe she would incapable of functioning or that she has no voice of her own.

Speedwheel, I never thought of that as they are saying it to me.....thanks for the ammo. As oddly enough they all seem to wonder how I would manage without her presence. As they think I can't cook (fuelled by me saying there is always the indian takeaway) can't iron, won't hoover etc. Of course I can do all these thing and generate the gossip to an extent!!! just that I avoid the ironing claiming I'm allergic to it!!!

When you talk about 'paying in during your working life..it reminded me of part of a statement made last year in Spain...By Chris Bryant..who was minister of State for Europe.

This was part of a speech he gave to pensioners living here...who are concerned about their pensions contributions that they have made all their working lives.

PLEASE...I dont want to get into arguments about the rights or wrong of being an ex-pat.!!

Quote from speech :

Contributions

Finally, the argument that the UK Government should do more to help also came into play, as they had in many cases “paid into the system for most of our working lives”. Mr Bryant commented that UK National Insurance contributions cover the person for the year in which they paid in, and do not create an “eternal pot for life”

Edited by Bobbybass

When you talk about 'paying in during your working life..it reminded me of part of a statement made last year in Spain...By Chris

Quote from speech :

Contributions

Finally, the argument that the UK Government should do more to help also came into play, as they had in many cases “paid into the system for most of our working lives”. Mr Bryant commented that UK National Insurance contributions cover the person for the year in which they paid in, and do not create an “eternal pot for life”

if thats the case then it likes any other insurance policy - if you don't claim you still don't get your money back!

if thats the case then it likes any other insurance policy - if you don't claim you still don't get your money back!

Thats the way it came over..

This was pre-new government...so it may be worse now...!!..

Can't imagine it will be better.

Please don't shoot me..I'm the messenger..

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

There is basically 2 ways wealth is accumulated.... inherit it or make it.

If we make it then we have worked, and by definition if we end "wealthy" or even well off then we will have paid our fair dues/taxes/VAT/corporation tax e.t.c, e.t.c not to mention the capital appreciation of our fixed assets that we probably had a mortgage on during or working life.

If I have earned my money then I should spend it when I can, when I arrive at retirement or whatever later on then the money the Government had from me during my working life can be utilized for my up-keep. I don't see that as sponging, rather taking back what I am owed.

How on earth are you owed it? You made money because you were working in a functioning economy with an expensive infrastructure, and you paid tax to maintain that infrastructure so that you could keep on making money from it.

You don't get to eat at a restaurant and then demand your money back once you've had a shit.

Choosing to squander your wealth in order to live a life of poverty on a state pension makes you a fool, and a dishonourable one at that.

E2A: Some questions for you:

- what is the median wage, and how many hours would someone on the minimum wage have to work to earn it?

- what proportion of the unemployed are 'persistent work-avoiders'?

- how many people are there looking for jobs and how many job vacancies are there?

Edited by ymu

Choosing to squander your wealth in order to live a life of poverty on a state pension makes you a fool, and a dishonourable one at that.

Damn..I better get back in from the garden and this 22 degree heat..and stop drinking Sangria..

Don't we have a duel now..if we are dishonourable...??

Bob

- what is the median wage, and how many hours would someone on the minimum wage have to work to earn it?

- how many people are there looking for jobs and how many job vacancies are there?

I dont know the answers to any of that..?

Does that make me a bad person..?

Bob

I dont know the answers to any of that..?

Does that make me a bad person..?

Bob

The questions weren't addressed to you, but no, I wouldn't say it makes you a bad person. There's no particular reason I know of why you should be interested. But when someone's claiming that working automatically makes you wealthy and conflating benefit claimants with deliberate work-avoiders, I am interested in discovering whether they have any idea what the answers to those questions are.

I couldn't give a flying f**k what the minimum wage is, my working day for 30 years was 16 to 18 hrs a day, 6 days a week, I made dough then bully to me... I deserved it.

Couldnt tell you... but as an employer I can tell you that there is "no un-employed"... but many "un-employable"

Always work for those who want to do it

I am an uneducated person, left school at 13, self employed since 15, worked and self educated myself..... could sign my name and count notes back then... that's about it.

Those that spurt this social responsibility crap do my nut in, I hate politics, no time for it.... I have paid my dues to the state many times over.... if I need them in later life they will need to stand up and be counted and look damn smart about it.... the way I have done for 30 odd years. When you have paid for so long then you have earned the right to draw some back, the infrastructure you refer to contains many parasites, not all un-employed..... many at government level that are the real "dishonourable" ones you refer to... but you wont want to hear that, will you?

I am an uneducated person, left school at 13, self employed since 15, worked and self educated myself..... could sign my name and count notes back then... that's about it.

Those that spurt this social responsibility crap do my nut in, I hate politics, no time for it.... I have paid my dues to the state many times over.... if I need them in later life they will need to stand up and be counted and look damn smart about it.... the way I have done for 30 odd years. When you have paid for so long then you have earned the right to draw some back, the infrastructure you refer to contains many parasites, not all un-employed..... many at government level that are the real "dishonourable" ones you refer to... but you wont want to hear that, will you?

When you talk about 'paying in during your working life..it reminded me of part of a statement made last year in Spain...By Chris Bryant..who was minister of State for Europe.

This was part of a speech he gave to pensioners living here...who are concerned about their pensions contributions that they have made all their working lives.

PLEASE...I dont want to get into arguments about the rights or wrong of being an ex-pat.!!

Quote from speech :

Contributions

Finally, the argument that the UK Government should do more to help also came into play, as they had in many cases paid into the system for most of our working lives. Mr Bryant commented that UK National Insurance contributions cover the person for the year in which they paid in, and do not create an eternal pot for life

Edited by Bobbybass

Of course you have the right to help when you are in need. That's because you live in a (relatively) civilised society.

But, once more, you have moved the goalposts. We weren't talking about the morality of someone who has worked all their lives getting help from the state in their old age, we were talking about the morality of someone who decided to blow all their assets in order to get more help than they would otherwise be entitled to.

And the sheer hilarious stupidity of someone who actually did that in the belief that it's possible to live well on benefits in this country. It's not.

Of course you have the right to help when you are in need. That's because you live in a (relatively) civilised society.

But, once more, you have moved the goalposts. We weren't talking about the morality of someone who has worked all their lives getting help from the state in their old age, we were talking about the morality of someone who decided to blow all their assets in order to get more help than they would otherwise be entitled to.

And the sheer hilarious stupidity of someone who actually did that in the belief that it's possible to live well on benefits in this country. It's not.

If its right or wrong....I think the way you are putting this is quite unpleasant..

I can imagine you sitting on a throne dishing out judgement..

I think you are...not very nice...

Bob