Economic Generation 2

Robin2

Featured Posts

I think the time has come to provide an update. Readers who feel the need for penance can find the earlier discussions here and here.

I got 2 new 110Ah leisure batteries at the beginning of February. Together with the heavily worn existing batteries I now have three separate batteries. I am using one of them each day in rotation and whenever I run my engine all 3 batteries are charged. With 2 hours of charging each day the batteries are getting back to 100% charge during the 2 days that they are not "on duty". All this is just as I expected - perhaps even slightly better as I had thought it might have been necessary to have a battery out of service for 3 days to charge to 100%.

This represents a reduction from 3 hours per day of charging while I only had the old batteries. And I am using more electricity as well.

I have discovered some other benefits as well. By dividing the 2 hour daily charge into two 1 hour charges (morning and evening) I can limit the depth of discharge of the "on duty" battery to 65% to 70%.

And if I change the duty battery at 8pm each evening I can get by without the second 1 hour charge (if I get delayed beyond 8pm in the pub! ) and can make up the time next day without depleting any of the batteries more than normal.

I intend to experiment to see if I can reduce the daily charge further but probably not for a few weeks.

Edited by Robin2

With 2 hours of charging each day the batteries are getting back to 100% charge during the 2 days that they are not "on duty". All this is just as I expected - perhaps even slightly better as I had thought it might have been necessary to have a battery out of service for 3 days to charge to 100%.

So I think I have got this right, each battery is discharged to 65% SOC and then is charged for four hours and this returns it to 100% SOC.

So I think I have got this right, each battery is discharged to 65% SOC and then is charged for four hours and this returns it to 100% SOC.

Looking back at my notes the battery going "off duty" has been at 70%.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my anti-gravity machine and time travel pod then I will tell you why you think you have defied the laws of physics.

Well its showing 100% using one of your Smartgauge devices permanently connected to one of the new batteries. So maybe you have already invented the anti-gravity machine but don't realize it.

And as an aside, I'm not sure that anti-gravity or some forms of time travel are theoretically impossible.

I am absolutely positive that anti-gravity is possible, I'm just finishing one now <sarcasm smiley>.

I won't try to tell you where your mistake lies, people have tried that in the past and you don't take any notice. So I'll ask you a few questions until it eventually clicks....

In order to charge from 65% to (nearly - see below) 100% in 4 hours you are just on the limit of what is possible with a well balanced system and leisure batteries. It could be reduced a bit further (but not by much) by getting really expensive batteries.

This would mean you are returning 38.5ahrs in 4 hours (we'll ignore charge efficiency here) to that one battery.

At the start of this charge, your alternator is also charging the other battery which will now be at about (say) 90% therefore the alternator is running nowhere near full hoot. It is in acceptance for almost all of that time. Put your hand on your heart, and tell us, in all honesty, that you couldn't get your alternator to produce more power, for longer, by connecting all your batteries together.

I dare you.

You are not getting to 100%. Maybe 95%, maybe even 98%, but not 100%, and that is one of the flaws that is going to reduce your new batteries to same the condition as your old ones are in pretty quickly.

PS. Anti-gravity absolutely is not possible, at all, ever, unless Einstein was horribly wrong in his theory of gravity. Time travel on the other hand...

PPS. I am fully aware that all I have just done is waste some energy pressing keys. I'm under no illusions.

You are not getting to 100%. Maybe 95%, maybe even 98%, but not 100%, and that is one of the flaws that is going to reduce your new batteries to same the condition as your old ones are in pretty quickly.

How do you reconcile the above statement with the fact that the Smartgauge shows 100%?

If I can't rely on the Smartgauge it will be important to know.

<snip>

PPS. I am fully aware that all I have just done is waste some energy pressing keys. I'm under no illusions.

No you haven't, I'm still curious about battery charging and the more I read, the more I learn

Richard

Anti-gravity is not possible, but thankfully buoyancy is.

Tone

So also is faster-than-light travel. The equations say you can't travel at the speed of light but there is nothing to stop you travelling faster, if you can just make the small jump across from one side to the other - as long as you don't mind your mass becoming imaginary, of course.

So also is faster-than-light travel. The equations say you can't travel at the speed of light but there is nothing to stop you travelling faster, if you can just make the small jump across from one side to the other - as long as you don't mind your mass becoming imaginary, of course.

I believe i acheived close to this speed once on the BCN mainline, i certainly washed off the towpath !

How do you reconcile the above statement with the fact that the Smartgauge shows 100%?

If I can't rely on the Smartgauge it will be important to know.

Read note 2 on page 22 of the owner's manual.

Not quite.

The equations say plenty of things do travel at the speed of light. Photons for a start :)

The equations say nothing travelling below the speed for light can be accelerated to the speed of light. But as you say they do not preculde things travelling faster than light.

Not quite.

The equations say plenty of things do travel at the speed of light. Photons for a start :)

The equations say nothing travelling below the speed for light can be accelerated to the speed of light. But as you say they do not preculde things travelling faster than light.

I admit that I was assuming that you are not a photon.

Is this the relevant extract?

For this reason, it is possible that, during the charge cycle, the charge status displayed may not be totally accurate. It will be within 10% of the actual battery charge status. This may seem like nothing (and is infinitely more accurate than an amp hours counter may show which could be literally hundreds of amp hours adrift), but it can have certain consequences.

(Note that once discharging commences, SmartGauge will automatically re-synchronise itself within the

first few minutes of discharge or within the first 10 minutes of resting if no load is present. SmartGauge, again, uses this information to modify its battery models and algorithm to increase the accuracy of future calculations.)

The reason you can't see a photon is that it doesn't carry navigation lights - unlike the Starship Enterprise - being capable of Warp Factor 9 (nine times the speed of light) - it has them clearly displayed and is therefore visible to all. :rolleyes:

PS:- Don't stop pressing the keys GIBBO - have found your posts very informative.

John H.

Edited by sumajan

Quite likely I think..