Breasting Up

bag 'o' bones

Featured Posts

What is so interesting about watching a topic contributed to by a poster on an ignore list, is that you only get to see their posts when someone else has already pointed out how poorly thought out they are.

Back on topic if ever I see Dave's boat moored anywhere I am going to breast up against it, just to see what happens.

For my part I'll put the kettle on, get the beer out, and even put the dog on her lead, but I would love to talk, and to know what kind of 'Business Analyst' he is, when he so often comes up with such.... shall we say.... politely.... alternative arguments.

Tone

Not much point putting the dog on a lead, because there would be no way of getting her ashore across the back of our boat.

Betta bring plenty of beer then......

..... that could be the basis of one hell of a banter!

Tone

Only for those willing to raft up though, apart from David who wont have a choice.

We may need a wide stretch of water :)

Not much point putting the dog on a lead, because there would be no way of getting her ashore across the back of our boat.

Why not?

Having a boat rafted onto the side of yours doesnt mean you have to live in each others pockets. You are allowed to ignore them if you wish. You can also talk to them and dicuss your plans, maybe even suggest you go on the outside if you plan an early start. Its a great think talking to people, you find out a lot of interesting information.

I don't wish to go on the outside thanks.

I have two dogs that I want to get ashore to take a pee, and Mrs M has some mobility problems that make getting ashore when breasted up can be difficult.

I don't wish to go on the outside thanks.

I have two dogs that I want to get ashore to take a pee, and Mrs M has some mobility problems that make getting ashore when breasted up can be difficult.

Stay on the inside then and leave early. You can secure the outside boat as you leave. It is possible to leave without disturbing the outside boat, just as it is possible to arrive without the inside boat knowing you are there.

Whilst I might not agree with Dave's somewhat hard line position on breasting up, it is undeniable that he is one of the relatively small proportion of people on this forum (and in this thread) who is interested in actually making an argument and supporting it with evidence rather than just indulging in games playing and name calling. Far from what I understood a troll to be.

He won't debate his original assertion, that breasting up is a trespass, though, preferring to indulge in the less serious aspect, of the debate.

Whilst I might not agree with Dave's somewhat hard line position on breasting up, it is undeniable that he is one of the relatively small proportion of people on this forum (and in this thread) who is interested in actually making an argument and supporting it with evidence rather than just indulging in games playing and name calling. Far from what I understood a troll to be.

Do you mean making an argument for the sake of it?

I agree with you. Dave isn't a troll.

Trolls are actively vicious, destructive and malicious, though often very very clever. Dave is none of these things.

I'm sure, face-to-face, he'll turn out be a very nice bloke.

It's OK Dave, I'll carry Sophie across the back of your boat.

(Double checks post for any sign of personal attack, double entendre or threat???? No. Should be OK. This time I might be able to use the term face-to-face without having it misunderstood and removed by a moderator.) :lol:

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

photo-485.jpg

Yeah he looks OK to me....

(not that I want to get married or anything you understand)

Must use newer picture. That was before the beard...

tn_gallery_485_357_70585.jpg

Come to think of it, it was when I had more hair too

He won't debate his original assertion, that breasting up is a trespass, though, preferring to indulge in the less serious aspect, of the debate.

I continue to assert that it is a trespass, although I accept that it would be difficult to get a remedy.

However, that rather re-inforces what I said to Phylis about those who see it as their right to breast up.

They don't have a RIGHT to do so, and doing so regardless of the wishes of the person being breasted to on the basis that he can't actually do anything about it say something about that person.

• Greenie 1

Must use newer picture. That was before the beard...

tn_gallery_485_357_70585.jpg

yeah but have you got one that's newer and in focus....

ETA PS and why oh why have you used the forum gallery - your mug is now inflicted on us every time we look at he forum index page, it's justtoo much.

Edited by MJG

I continue to assert that it is a trespass, although I accept that it would be difficult to get a remedy.

However, that rather re-inforces what I said to Phylis about those who see it as their right to breast up.

They don't have a RIGHT to do so, and doing so regardless of the wishes of the person being breasted to on the basis that he can't actually do anything about it say something about that person.

Doesnt it say anything about the person who refuse to allow other boaters access to the facilities avaliable in that case? IMO it says more about the person already moored than the one looking to moor.

Doesnt it say anything about the person who refuse to allow other boaters access to the facilities avaliable in that case? IMO it says more about the person already moored than the one looking to moor.

I don't know?

It seems to me that if somebody wishes to impose on you, and decides to do so regardless of your opinions on the matter, simply because there is little that you can practically do about it, they are (speaking bluntly) an arsehole.

To heap criticism upon somebody for no other reason than that person not wishing to be imposed upon is inexplicable.

The oddest breasting up experience I had was on the Caledonian Canal at Glengarry Castle Pier. A family on board a hire boat asked if they could moor alongside me as all the berths were taken.

"no problem" said I.

then after they had moored up.

"Excuse me, but would you mind if we moored on the inside, as we are Orthodox Jews, and we are not permitted to operate machinery on our Sabbath - which is tomorrow.If you need to move, then we would have to operate machinery"

"no problem" said I.

I think they were genuine, and I let them moor inside me, then left within a couple of hours. I did wonder how they were going to operate their taps and toilet the next day though.

PS and why oh why have you used the forum gallery - your mug is now inflicted on us every time we look at he forum index page, it's justtoo much.

Well, at least it's out of focus! :rolleyes:

The beard is just something he sticks on when refusing breasting up permission, I think.

It stops people pointing further down the cut and saying "there's the bu$$er who would not let us tie alongside"......

I don't know?

It seems to me that if somebody wishes to impose on you, and decides to do so regardless of your opinions on the matter, simply because there is little that you can practically do about it, they are (speaking bluntly) an arsehole.

To heap criticism upon somebody for no other reason than that person not wishing to be imposed upon is inexplicable.

No the real aresehole is the one, who plonks himeself in the middle (and it generally is the middle) of a popular mooring, knowing it will be busy and get full, then refuse to allow anyone else to have access to the facilities avaliable at that location. If you dont want to be imposed upon why moor in a busy spot? there are hundreds of miles of quiet towpath that you can use quietly by yourself where no one will impose upon you and you can avoid having to contact people.

A question for our learned friend, David/

You are moored on a busy mooring with another boat rafted on the outside of yours. The owners come back from the pub noisily at midnight, waking your dogs whos barking then wakes you, disturbing your sleep. You would no doubt call this a bad experience and never allow boats the breast up again.

Now lets imagine the same scenario. The moorings are not quite as busy but the same boat is moored close up behind yours. The owners come back from the pub at midnight, walk past your boat which wakes your dogs, whos barking then wakes you, disturbing your sleep. Is this not the same outcome?

For this reason do you then allow no one to moor adjacent to you because they may distrub you?

Hello

Im new to this boating lark so please bare with me, What this poster is saying is he doesnt want anyone breasting up alongside him, so as a newcomer and having read all this thread and take note of all the reasons that Dave doesnt want anyone alongside his boat…as he said if I walked across his boat I would be trespassing, if I move about in my boat or snore I would start his dogs barking, and heaven forbid I farted [i believe my farts are slightly louder than a fleas] that would tantamount to declaring war.

So, if I arrive at a place where all the moorings are taken and every available space is taken up by boats that are breasted up as far as the eye can see and to carry on would be dangerous as the light is fading and there are locks to negotiate and the only available spot to moor for the night is next to the only un-breasted boat Mr Jinks [AKA Dave]

I slow down and call out to you asking if I can breast up next to you, explaining that I am a non drinking, early to bed, up at anytime you want me to move off to let you out in the morning type of person, I have no intensions of leaving my boat to go to the pub/get water/food or any other reason to disturb you by walking across your boat,,,in fact I am a very private person and like to keep to myself…I dont have a TV on board or a radio for that matter I like to read with the curtains draw so as not to pollute the surrounding area with light for those that like to study the stars, My fire is not lit and I dont run central heating to cause fumes, and if your dogs bark I would not get offended…..So lets face it after I have explain all this to you and agree to sign a contact agreeing to this Im sure I would be the perfect person for you to have moor up next to you…

So Sir, just out of interest what would your answer be?

Edited by terryvanman
  • Greenie 1