Most useful piece of boat kit

Moley

Featured Posts

Moving on from the Most useLESS thread:

How about "Most useFUL piece of boat kit".

I nominate a corkscrew.

Why not indeed.

Ignoring essential equipment, such as engines and corkscrews, anything useful that's frequently overlooked, or anything offbeat that you wouldn't be without?

Moving on from the Most useLESS thread:

Why not indeed.

Ignoring essential equipment, such as engines and corkscrews, anything useful that's frequently overlooked, or anything offbeat that you wouldn't be without?

A woman. (or bloke, whichever way you swing)

A pair of walkie-talkies.

The crew ahead can tell you whether the next lock is ready or not, and on a flight whether to leave your exit gates open (and stop the boat behind you from turning it around) if someone is coming the other way.

The helmsman call call down for a cup of coffee, summon the crew, point out something interesting at any time (no matter how engrossed the crew is in doing something else at the other end of the boat).

The crew can be in the pub and ordering a meal while you are still tying up the boat (did this a few years ago, the pub was about to stop serving so the OCM read me the menu, I chose and ordered then found a mooring and tied up, to arrive in the pub just as the meal was being served)

And so on and so on.

Oh yes.....but I'm expensive......money back if not completely satisfied !!!

it absolutely has to be the sea searcher magnet.... Shame it doesn't pick up crew... although having said that - perhaps I should make them wear something magnetic!

It absolutely has to be the sea searcher magnet.... Shame it doesn't pick up crew.

:):D

I nominate our Nicholsons Guides.

(and obvously windlasses are also quite usfull! bit there sort of taken-as-read in my book)

Daniel

Someone's not been paying attention :rolleyes:

Brain cells

But isn't boating an excuse to relax and use a few less than normal?

Anything that comes in a fully-functional but miniature version. For example, we just bought a CDplayer+radio for a suitably mimiature price (£30) from Asda. The player and 2 speakers are each about 5"x6"x8" (rough estimate) and push out enough sound to be heard quite plain enough from one end of the boat to the other.

• 6 months later...

My Portable Jumpstarter - for the obvious reason and for helping me out when the inverter cuts out 20 minutes before the end of a film, and it's too late to start the engine!

Now that is a damn good idea. Why do inverters always cut out just near the end of the film?