Featured Posts

Layout on Mr Jinks (from rear)

• Galley
  • Dinette
  • Through Bathroom
  • Wardrobe
  • Bedroom
  • Saloon

That does sound like a good arrangement for all the reasons you outlined.

Our 40' trad style boat is conventional, with bedroom at rear, bathroom, kitchen, saloon. It's the way I like it but I have thought that switching the bathroom and bedroom around might work well, giving somewhere to get out of wet clothing before going through the bedroom, although it has never been an issue the way it is now.

Would you put a toilet in your hallway? You could put a curtain around it for privacy! I jest, but I just cant fathom the 'logic' of crossing a bathroom with a corridor! But I am old-fashioned, I still think corridors should be available for use 24/7! Crazy eh!

Edited by WJM

A through bathroom has to be the most absurd, weird, crazy, freaky idea I have ever heard of!!!!

I didn't like the idea of them, until I lived with one. What I like about them - along with the rest of the layout on our boat - is the complete absence of corridors. The first boat we lived on was nothing but corridor - bed, bathroom, bed, kitchen, dinette. Having to shuffle down to one end of the boat, or dive into the bathroom or onto a bed, just so you can get past each other, gets wearing after a while.

That extra 2' of corridor space makes a massive difference in a bathroom. I don't want to give it any more cabin space than it needs, and incorporating the corridor into the usable space increases the area available, for the length of cabin used, by 50% - or, if you prefer, reduces the length of cabin required for a given amount of space, by a third.

Boat layouts are all about compromise - you just have to decide which compromises you make. Having to walk through the bathroom to get to the bedroom isn't a big deal, for us. Others will have different priorities, of course.

Layout on Mr Jinks (from rear)

• Galley
  • Dinette
  • Through Bathroom
  • Wardrobe
  • Bedroom
  • Saloon

I used to go boating on a boat with the following layout (from rear):

• Wet locker
  • Dinette
  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom (to one side)
  • Double bed
  • Single bed / settee
  • Cratch

Whilst essentially a reverse layout the small social area at the front was really handy, especially as it was quieter and the views better than at the back end of the boat. All in all an excellent layout with much to recommend it.

Would you put a toilet in your hallway? You could put a curtain around it for privacy! I jest, but I just cant fathom the 'logic' of crossing a bathroom with a corridor! But I am old-fashioned, I still think corridors should be available for use 24/7! Crazy eh!

If you live with a total stranger, it might matter. If you're shy about using the toilet in front of your partner, it might matter. Neither applies to us, so it doesn't matter.

Noone needs to use the 'corridor' unless they need to access our bedroom or the stern. It's an issue on the rare occasions we have company whilst cruising (if we're not cruising, they can access the stern via the bank). Reducing our living space for the sake of a few hours a year of slight inconvenience seems a bit silly.

We are considering putting in some doors for guests though. :lol:

Handy if you run out of toilet paper, just reach over for the kitchen roll...

Our last boat had an off the corridor bathroom and the current one has a through bathroom. My experience is that the through bathroom is far better and if I was specifying a new boat I would go for the through bathroom again. It gives so much more space.

Plus as an added bonus it has a propper pump out toilet.

Retires to a safe distance and hides!

We have a through bathroom, complete with doors (for guests). The doors don't have locks though; we tell guests to whistle whilst they're occupying the facilities :)

MP.

We provide them with an MP3 player for security and aural privacy. :D

I have seen a through bathroom where the doors could be closed in either direction - to give a corridor when the bath/shower wasn't needed, and the full space when it was. Tricky if you want your bathroom to be more than 4' long, but not an insurmountable design challenge. If it matters that much, of course.

Sapphire is 57ft with following layout:

•  
  • Trad Stern
  • Cabin area over the engine
  • Galley
  • Dinette (converts to double bed for guests)
  • Saloon & stove
  • Separate bathroom
  • Fixed Double

We have solid wood floors throughout which turned out to be a good move when we got the dog as it's easier to clean up.

As you cannot stand up in the engine cabin area when the hatch is closed it's useful being able to go into the galley to take shoes and coats off when it's raining without having to worry about bedding or carpet getting wet.

I agree that if the saloon was at the front then you have the extended advantage of a 'conservatory', but as liveaboards we've found it hard not to use the front for storage so this doesn't really make a difference to us.

Dont you find it gets muddy in there with people wandering around in shoes all day?

I only ask because our cockpit carpets are a nightmare to keep clean at this time of year. We seem to be constantly vacing mud from them.

As long as they're not wandering on the bed... does it make any difference which floors get muddy?