Wolfhamcote

Ray T

Featured Posts

Carl will probably be better informed, but someone told me that several boats that used to moor on the offside against the field, were moved by the farmer some while ago, and some have ended up moored alongside the topwpath.

Whether this is true, and why they have been moved, I do not know, but a couple of the offside moorings have been tidied up recently, so maybe there is a new regime operating at Woolfhamcote.

That looks like a very nice boat, did you get a shot of the front end?

There are reasons why the boats have been moved from the offside moorings, largely due to broken promises and levels of bureaucratic crap that only BW can attain.

That boat wasn't a regular, when I moored on the puddlebanks, so it may have been heading to dock, and not made it in time.

That looks like a very nice boat, did you get a shot of the front end?

There are reasons why the boats have been moved from the offside moorings, largely due to broken promises and levels of bureaucratic crap that only BW can attain.

That boat wasn't a regular, when I moored on the puddlebanks, so it may have been heading to dock, and not made it in time.

Carl, as requested:

dscf3979q.jpg

Carl, as requested:

Thank you!

It's not the boat I thought it might be (the Ken Keay boat, Lionheart, that was abandoned at Mkt Drayton, a couple of years ago) but it does look very interesting.

It doesn't look full length (though that may just be the angle of the shots) and the back end is too good, to be an everyday cut and shut job, from the likes of the Keays.

At least it will (hopefully) be relatively easy to refloat.

It probably depends on whether those planks, on the bank, have come out or are waiting to go in.

:smiley_offtopic: But doesn't make sense to open up a new fred.. Are wooden boats of completely wooden construction? Or do they have an iron base plate or ribbing/frame?

Wooden working boats (in the main) had oak sides, elm bottoms, oak bow and stern knees and iron knees on the straight bits.

Some boats (such as some Joeys, for example) were of all timber construction.

If the worst should happen, and those who choose to make jokes about this sort of tragedy lose their boats, in similar circumstances, let's hope they'll join in the fun and merriment that they must surely expect.

Carl,

I know that threads like this touch a raw nerve with you, but sometimes you do have to accept that certain events are going to be the source of a certain amount of comment that may not take into account the impact that the situation has on those most closely involved.

We have suffered the loss of our first boat to sinking, and whilst it wasn't the same effect as it would have been if the boat had been our home, I can empathise with how it feels to see your boat sat on the bottom.

Carl,

I know that threads like this touch a raw nerve with you, but sometimes you do have to accept that certain events are going to be the source of a certain amount of comment that may not take into account the impact that the situation has on those most closely involved.

I do accept that people will make jokes and it is for that very reason that I think it does no harm to point out that the situation is not amusing, for the people that have lost their home.

I do accept that people will make jokes and it is for that very reason that I think it does no harm to point out that the situation is not amusing, for the people that have lost their home.

Certainly, at the time, it is far from amusing.

However, with the benefit of a certain amount of elapsed time, and having got up, dusted yourself down, and got on with life, it does become rather easier to avoid biting.

That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger and all that!

Certainly, at the time, it is far from amusing.

However, with the benefit of a certain amount of elapsed time, and having got up, dusted yourself down, and got on with life, it does become rather easier to avoid biting.

I often make amusing comments about the loss of my boats and do not mind when others join in.

I am not "biting" because of my experience (I don't believe I was "biting" at all), I was merely noting that the person who owns this boat will be suffering, at this time, and jokes about their predicament are not helpful.

I am condemning nobody, merely making a point that, I believe, is not worth pursuing.