Trial rental wanted

bodger

Featured Posts

Hi there.

I am a Newbie/wannabee who is trying to convince the other half that living on a Narrowboat is a great idea!

Does anyone know of a boat we can hire for a week or two, not for cruising but moored up, just to see if we can live

in such close proximity without inflicting any physical harm on each other!

I am loathe to pay out £1200+ for a holiday rental just for her to say "I told you so!"

Thanks,

Steve

Hi there.

I am a Newbie/wannabee who is trying to convince the other half that living on a Narrowboat is a great idea!

Does anyone know of a boat we can hire for a week or two, not for cruising but moored up, just to see if we can live

I am loathe to pay out £1200+ for a holiday rental just for her to say "I told you so!"

Thanks,

Steve

Hoseasons used to do houseboats....not sure if they still do, worth a google perhaps.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Hi there.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Bodger,

Have you enquired on any (holiday) hire companies what their rates would be for a boat moored at/near one of their locations right at the beginning or end of the season . . you may well be able to pick up a bargain maybe?

Don't you intend cruising on your boat? Other half needs the whole experience including working locks. £1000 or so is a lot cheaper than the cost of a boat and it could take being iced in with no water before you both decide it's not for u. Make sure you keep the house.

Sue

The only way you can usually rent a boat legally is as part of a commercial arrangement.

There is too much red tape to allow a private boater to hand over their pride and joy for commercial gain, (different licence, different insurance, more stringent boat safety scheme certificate, etc....)

As has been said, your best bet is to try and strike an out of season deal with a hire boat firm of some kind. The more out of season you do it, presumably the cheaper, and, as has been said, that would be the most realistic way of seeing if you still think it's idyllic when there is a howling gale and it's p**ing down with rain!

Welcome, but you need to be realistic - a nice spring or summer hiring would not tell you about the winters!

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Have to agree with the others hire at the very end or start of the season, for at least a fortnight, it will only give you a taster but will not prepare you for all the vagaries of truly living aboard, full time.

Last year, as this, we were iced in for weeks, we were very lucky this year as all the tanks were at the correct levels (water full, diesel full, black tank empty, cassette loo empty and plenty of fuel [solid])

We only just made it to the thaw but we still had to fill with water a few times, others boaters and us getting together and connecting hoses together, luckily there was a tap nearby and that had to be thawed.

Others like us last year were a long way from a tap and lugging water along the towpath is hard and laborious.

If you are still going to be working, you will need a permanent mooring, some say that you can 'continuously cruise' but that can/will be difficult.

ps. £1,500 is very little when compared to buying and running a boat.

Good luck

I agree...£1500 is very small compared to owning...

I think boats are like cars....that 'in your head'..you think a car costs £x to run....but if you write it on paper with all the real costs...it actually costs £x times 10 !!

You could hire a boat many times a year at £1500 a shot and still not pay what owning costs.

I'm not sure what depreciation figure is...even on secondhand..but it ain't cheap..

Thats my opinion..I'm off to sing 'always look on the bright side of life' now..

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

No matter how many times you try a boat you will never get near to what actually casting off is really like and if the initial spark isnt there theres a long road ahead. Even with a great determination the hurdles and insecurities involved make the practicalities of everyday life ashore seem a walk in the park

That is a good price, and long enough, and at the right time of year to give you a real taste of what life on board would be like.

We have our own boat, and even in summer by the end of 10 days to a fortnight I'm ready to get home again to all my mod con's.

A week in summer will be nearly as expensive, and you will treat it like the holiday it is, rather than get an impression of what life aboard would be like.

If I couldn't justify that amount, then I don't think I would be considering living aboard.

Sue

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, I will keep looking, been offered 3 weeks in November for £1400.00,

but not sure I can justify it.

Steve

Hi Steve

Not sure that you can justify the £1400 or that Living on a narrowboat is a great idea ?.

" I am loathe to pay out £1200+ for a holiday rental just for her to say "I told you so!" "

Would suggest to me that either you yourself are not fully committed to the idea or that even if having spent the time and money the other half's answer is going to be the same.

We've been aboard for three years now and it was my other half's idea.To me its been great but lets put it this way if your not both singing from the same hymn sheet it could be hell.

Have you really thought this through?

John

I agree. If one of you isn't keen then it might not be a good idea at all. You both need to want to do it.

Three weeks might give you an idea but it took me about three months to get used to living aboard. I hated it at first - and it was my idea!

If you do decide to get a boat, buy second hand and keep the house, that way if you decide to go back to land it won't be too painful and you won't lose much money. There are too many posh new boats under a couple of years old on brokerage.

If you want to boat and your other half's not into it, why not get a little cabin cruiser and use it for holidays?

I agree. If one of you isn't keen then it might not be a good idea at all. You both need to want to do it.

Three weeks might give you an idea but it took me about three months to get used to living aboard. I hated it at first - and it was my idea!

Steve

If your still thinking about trialling a boat have a look at member Richard H's website Canalboatescapes 15% discount for three weeks off £425 per week just over a grand for your answer living in close proximity (32foot)

Good Luck

JOHN

House Boat Hotels, based in Victoria Quays in Sheffield have three static narrowboats that they rent out. They could be worth a try.

We have often had a few days break on them, even though we live in Sheffield, it is a great way to unwind.

Have I read that correctly??? :o

Phylis on a narrowboat (even though it's not moving) - that's a typo surely or an imposter posting on her account??? :unsure:

House boat hotel linky

Edited by MJG

Have I read that correctly??? :o

Phylis on a narrowboat (even though it's not moving) - that's a typo surely or an imposter posting on her account??? :unsure:

You have read it correctly.

Hiring Ruby for a few days at a time showed us that we really dont want a narrowboat :lol:

It did however along with our various boat hires prove that we did want a boat, just not of the narrow variety.

You have read it correctly.

Hiring Ruby for a few days at a time showed us that we really dont want a narrowboat :lol:

It did however along with our various boat hires prove that we did want a boat, just not of the narrow variety.

I see one even has a pram hood...

Why don't you bring the other half along to see our boats at Whilton Locks. We have three boats that we hire out, but they all started life as private boats, so probably feel more like a 'liveaboard' than most hire boats.

Our prices are quite reasonable - for example 3 weeks in Nov. would cost £1290 on our smaller boats (40ft) and only £1675 for 55footer. Dec/Jan/Feb is even cheaper but of course you could be iced in. . .

You can moor canalside at the marina for the duration if you want to, though I feel you should have at least one cruise, even if only for a weekend!

You can call me on 01327 844442 if you want to talk further.

Regards

Richard

Saisons