Recycling the shower water..LOL!

DeanS

Featured Posts

a tad supercilious perhaps? one loo set up isn't the only and best set up and all difficulties could be overcome somehow with enough effort..... the guy is listening very patiently to all comments even if they are acerbic!

Sorry - but like several others I dont think Dean is Listening, or rather reading and relating the obvious practical points that many have made,

Dean, sorry but after following a number of threads you have kicked off and yr comments within, in reply, I remain unconvinced as to whether you are serious / actually own a boat etc, as you dont appear to grasp many of the obvious fundamentals that any boat owner of a week or two will have covered / sorted.. eg water / loo capacity, storage space,

and 6 people on a medium sized boat and running a business from it.... and looking to make several basic things complicated...

If you can demostrate your real grounded etc.. then I'll be pleasantly supprised.

time to move on to some other forums, tried the CCC ?

• Greenie 2

Hi Dean,

Don't stop posting questions and don't give into the forum bullies, you have a lateral way of thinking that shouldn’t be stamped on by some of the more conservative members. But do allow for rigorous feedback!

After all, would the system that we all hold dear have been built were it not for dreams and ideas?

After all, would the system that we all hold dear have been built were it not for dreams and ideas?

well of course it wouldn't but those who designed and built it used logic and good sound practical engineering and consrtuction skills, some thing that I happene to think that is lacking here.

Edit out of last comment as seen that point has been acknowledged.

Edited by MJG

Let's not be too hard on Dean here. He may not be responding as you would wish but then everybody absorbs information differently.

For instance I have asked questions on here and find myself skimming over some answers and reading others in detail. It doesn't mean that the skimmed answers are being ignored or the ones read in detail are being accepted. After time to absorb the information I may go back and re-read and re-process. Eventually, after an indeterminate time, I will make a decision based on the whole of the information received - not specific parts of it.

That's how I absorb information and Dean may, or may not, be similar.

Plus, although we may have an opinion of Dean's motives or thought processes and his course of action, I don't think we have the right to tell him how he should be thinking or what he should do.

• Greenie 2

BTW I also think your suggestion is flawed as it would in my opinion take up too much precious floor space in what after all is often the smallest room on a boat – as Dave M has already pointed out he'll likely need at least 1 cassette per day and as it happens I too think in this instance Dean would be wise to consider a PO loo – but with a very big tank.

but a step platform with a spare cassette in would take up far less room than a PO tank surely? ....the step could be to the side of the loo with the cassette from the loo opening out into the walk space?

shown on mine again, just for comparison, the side space has a radiator and a laundry box, it could easily have been a storage step and taken no further floor space.

loo2.jpg

so if the loo is higher, one extra cassette under the loo and another in the storage/platform step......3 cassettes, should be enough till he needs to go and fill the water tanks again?

Edited by Chagall

Plus, although we may have an opinion of Dean's motives or thought processes and his course of action, I don't think we have the right to tell him how he should be thinking or what he should do.

I agree but a lot of the people who have responded to Dean have pointed out things which he may not have considered before but which will help him when he does consider them. Like the quantity of water which his family will use, how the shower will be powered, how many cassettes he will need and how long one is likely to last. I, and others (rightly or wrongly) , got the impression that Dean had not really thought through a lot of the questions which he will need to answer before he decides how best to fit out his boat so that he and his family can live on it and enjoy the experience. We don't want to see him fail because he had overlooked something which someone on here could have mentioned.

haggis.

Hi all.

I've taken your comments regarding the number of casettes into account. At the worst, I would need to have as many casettes as required, as I still think this is better than having to face a broken pump out waste tank scenario. How would you feel if I was to install a waste tank at the very back of the boat (almost behind the tiller seats - trad stern). If we were away from Elsan points, I could empty the casette/s into this temporary storage tank. I could possibly have 2x75litre tanks. They would be removable, so could also later be wheeled to an ensan point, or they will be fitted with the normal pump out fitting. I'm thinking this may then offer the waste storage needed, and 2 ways of emptying (elsan and pumpout). In areas where there are a lot of elsan points, we wouldnt make use of those extra waste tanks at all. ?

Edited by DeanS

Hi all.

if I was to install a waste tank at the very back of the boat (almost behind the tiller seats - trad stern). If we were away from Elsan points, I could empty the casette/s into this temporary storage tank. I could possibly have 2x75litre tanks. They would be removable, so could also later be wheeled to an ensan point, or they will be fitted with the normal pump out fitting.

That's a radical idea - 75 litre tanks would be extremely heavy to lift out though (1kg for each litre of liquid plus weight of solids plus weight of tank). Think about lifting a twelve or thirteen stone bloke out of a hole - I think you'd need a hoist of some sort and a very substantial trolley to move it from the boat to the Elsan point - might be much more do-able with smaller tanks.

Edited by Bazza2

That's a radical idea - 75 litre tanks would be extremely heavy to lift out though (1kg for each litre of liquid plus weight of solids plus weight of tank). Think about lifting a twelve or thirteen stone bloke out of a hole - I think you'd need a hoist of some sort and a very substantial trolley to move it from the boat to the Elsan point - might be much more do-able with smaller tanks.

Yep. Just checked the casette size of the Thetford CS200 is 17Litres, so if I had 2x40 litre tanks at the back of the boat, plus the casette in use, plus a spare in the engine room, that would equate to a total of 114litres. I could always add a 3rd 40litre tank elsewhere etc. I dont mind sliding a 40litre tank onto a trolley and there are enough people to help :)

Given that Dean is talking about mooring in the middle of nowhere, couldn't the waste problem be reduced by all concerned urinating in the hedges?

Or is one full cassette per day for 6 people already assuming this?

Edited by Hippoclides

DeanS: I want my boat to be like a house

Collective opinion: it's a boat not a house. Get used to it. Modify your lifestyle.

DeanS: I don't care I want it to be like a house. I won't modify my lifestyle.

This is about the 10th thread by DeanS I've read that runs like this.

I am in complete agreement with Dave Mayall. I'll repeat that; I am in complete agreement with Dave Mayall. If you're going to live on a boat then you will need to adjust your lifestyle to suit the parameters of that choice.

The canal is already becoming full of numpties who refuse to accept that their use of resources must need be modified by their environment and access to those resources.

Even if you can force your point(less) of view through into your own lifestyle you will infringe on others in your excessive running of your engine or increased queueing for water. And that's just the one's we've heard so far, wait until you have to deal with issues of car use.

Edited by Lady Muck
swearing - Lady Muck
  • Greenie 1

DeanS: I want my boat to be like a house

Collective opinion: it's a boat not a house. Get used to it. Modify your lifestyle.

DeanS: I don't care I want it to be like a house. I won't modify my lifestyle.

This is about the 10th thread by DeanS I've read that runs like this.

I am in complete agreement with Dave Mayall. I'll repeat that; I am in complete agreement with Dave Mayall. If you're going to live on a boat then you will need to adjust your lifestyle to suit the parameters of that choice.

The canal is already becoming full of f***wits and numpties who refuse to accept that their use of resources must need be modified by their environment and access to those resources.

Even if you can force your point(less) of view through into your own lifestyle you will infringe on others in your excessive running of your engine or increased queueing for water. And that's just the one's we've heard so far, wait until you have to deal with issues of car use.

so all the "f***wits and numpties" should get off the canal because they are spoiling it for you? ......you have to queue longer for water and don't want to? .....has OP said he will run his engine excessively?....has OP said he will have a car?

the parameters are not set as finite. .....ingenuity can change them.

Edited by Chagall

I'm a dreamer so not a fan of quashing others ideas but I just wonder where your going to store everything!? Extra water tanks, extra loo cassettes, I asume a family of 6 eats alot of food surely your going to have to have extra food incase you can't get to shops. Are your family prepared to get rid of 'stuff'?

To behonest if i was you I'd get the males in the family to wee in hedges and the females to learn a shower a shower a day would be a luxury let alone a long one.

Also you need to think about resale of your boat. Is anyone else going to want to buy it with all these little add ons? Who knows someone might love it.

I'm a dreamer so not a fan of quashing others ideas but I just wonder where your going to store everything!? Extra water tanks, extra loo cassettes, I asume a family of 6 eats alot of food surely your going to have to have extra food incase you can't get to shops. Are your family prepared to get rid of 'stuff'?

To behonest if i was you I'd get the males in the family to wee in hedges and the females to learn a shower a shower a day would be a luxury let alone a long one.

Also you need to think about resale of your boat. Is anyone else going to want to buy it with all these little add ons? Who knows someone might love it.

1. Extra waste tanks...behind the tiller is a possibility. Easy to unload. Easy to fill. No smell.

2. Extra casettes. The bathroom has the space under the basin. Engine room has plenty of space.

3. Buy food on weekly basis. Will have tins/soups/easy to store if shops are far.Just bought a nice freezer.

4. Yes, we have sold most of our possessions already, some going into small storage. No stuff going on boat.

5. Cant wee in hedges...will be accused by forum members.

6. 1 female. She will enjoy 1 shower a day. Males, alternate days most probably.

7. Resale value of boat is looking ok.

8. Wont run engine for hours. Getting solar panel.

9. Happy to let others use the water points before me.

Edited by DeanS

1. Extra waste tanks...behind the tiller is a possibility. Easy to unload. Easy to fill. No smell.

2. Extra casettes. The bathroom has the space under the basin. Engine room has plenty of space.

3. Buy food on weekly basis. Will have tins/soups/easy to store if shops are far.Just bought a nice freezer.

4. Yes, we have sold most of our possessions already, some going into small storage. No stuff going on boat.

6. 1 female. She will enjoy 1 shower a day. Males, alternate days most probably.

Takes all kinds but for me, who at one time was at sea, there is an element of boating on canals that evokes the 'make do and mend' and 'living in a suitcase' of the past.

The wife sees it differently and I have had to take ballast out to allow for the stuff she thinks is essential in addition to her clothes/shoes wardrobe.

The main thing is the boat works as it should, fairly economically and with enough comfort to while away the time interrupted by the necessary routine chores etc

It had to happen one day!!

The problem is that those of us who have a bit of experience KNOW that space is going to be at a premium, and know that you simply don't have "plenty of space" to spare.

We also KNOW that 45 litre waste tanks are NOT going to be easy to unload store or fill. they are going to be bloody heavy, unwieldy, and you are going to spill the contents of your cassette when you try to use them.

Where are you going to store all these tins? It is a boat, not the TARDIS.

How will you be powering your freezer?

Yes, you can wee in hedges, but it won't help much.

How much energy are you going to get from solar, how much will still need to be supplied from the engine (have you done an energy audit?)

Given that you might be filling with water for 2 hours, are you prepared to stop every time somebody else wants the tap, and actually be on the WP for 4-6 hours?

Sorry to go on, but it seems that every time somebody tells you that something won't work, you glibly invent some space or energy source to make the problem go away.