Treating rope and fenders pre-use

sam pig

Featured Posts

Any tips on what is best for pre-treating natural rope / fenders pre-use... I am sure a boat painter i know mentioned clear varnish is a good idea for reducing wear and tear (of a general variety rather than a rubbing between boat and bank variety)...

Thanks

When I bought the boat there were already 2 tipcats fitted, I finished them off with a 3rd fender, a button.

All 3 got a thorough soaking in creosote (substitute) as not only does it protect them it makes them the 'right' colour.

Are the above treatment suggestions really suitable for mooring/centre lines as well as fenders?

Do you have natural fibre rope mooring and centre lines? I'd be very surprised if you have

Richard

Do you have natural fibre rope mooring and centre lines? I'd be very surprised if you have

Richard

No, mine are Hempex in an attempt to match the manila tipcat and fenders. The op's question also referred to natural rope which I took to mean lines.

All 3 got a thorough soaking in creosote (substitute) as not only does it protect them it makes them the 'right' colour.

Didn't know you could get Creosote sub that gives fenders a scrubbed white colour. :P

The thing that really knackers fenders is not the wet but the sun. The best way to protect them is to cover them. Certainly some of the old boatmen used to put a canvas cover over the top of their stern fenders to protect them from the sun.

Edited by Speedwheel

No, mine are Hempex in an attempt to match the manila tipcat and fenders. The op's question also referred to natural rope which I took to mean lines.

Right. The manilla ropework is in natural fibres and will need protecting, like soaking in creosote. The Hempex lines are synthetic and will not need treating in that way. I wonder if creosote would damage them?

I wash our handling ropes in the washing machine. Put them in a pillowcase unless you enjoy untying granny knots

Richard

Oh, are you suggesting the OP has natural rope handling lines?

Didn't know you could get Creosote sub that gives fenders a scrubbed white colour. :P

The thing that really knackers fenders is not the wet but the sun. The best way to protect them is to cover them. Certainly some of the old boatmen used to put a canvas cover over the top of their stern fenders to protect them from the sun.

Hi,

I had a cover made up for the rear fenders on a tug style boat, this has the advantage of protecting them, keeping all the leaves off the fenders in the autumn (these leaves remain wet all winter).

I also soaked the fenders in a creosote substitute.

The front button is covered with an inverted tyre which keeps the weather off.

I also had a cover made for the pigeon box, this keeps the engine room warmer (cuts out draughts) and means that it is water proof.

Clear panels in this cover do not restrict light.

All made at reasonable cost by 'The Little Sewing Boat' (no connection).

Ideas were pinched from J Pattles beautifully presented boat 'Brentford'.

Leo.