Boat capsizes on Thames in Shepperton

blackrose

Featured Posts

I keep hearing on the radio about a boat that's capsized taking people home from a party on the Thames in Shepperton, but as yet there's nothing on the BBC (Surrey) website. It sounds like 4 people were rescued but 2 men are missing. The Thames is running fairly fast where I am near Old Windsor although there are no stream warnings here or further downstream.

Let's hope they are all ok.

Edited by blackrose

Not a good outcome to this story, but at least 4 people were rescued from the water. I think one person is still missing, presumably drowned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-12108067

It reminds me to take great care crossing the river from the island I'm moored at. I cross at least twice a day but the problem is I have nowhere to leave a lifejacket and can't carry it around all day. If I leave it in the dinghy it will just get taken by kids and I don't have a car. I think I'll just have to be careful.

Edited by blackrose

Not a good outcome to this story, but at least 4 people were rescued from the water. I think one person is still missing, presumably drowned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-12108067

It reminds me to take great care crossing the river from the island I'm moored at. I cross at least twice a day but the problem is I have nowhere to leave a lifejacket and can't carry it around all day. If I leave it in the dinghy it will just get taken by kids and I don't have a car. I think I'll just have to be careful.

I suspect it would be a far less risky journey if the 2 men stood in the rowing boat(DailyMail pic), sat down to cross the river........

I suspect it would be a far less risky journey if the 2 men stood in the rowing boat(DailyMail pic), sat down to cross the river........

I generally sit down to lower the centre of gravity (and steer with the outboard), but when you're doing this everyday one becomes surprisingly nimble in the boat and thus probably too casual. I wonder if some of the people in the capsized boat were standing?

OK, they can get a better view if they are searching for a submerged object by standing, but no lifejackets ??

DUHH !!

I keep hearing on the radio about a boat that's capsized taking people home from a party on the Thames in Shepperton, but as yet there's nothing on the BBC (Surrey) website. It sounds like 4 people were rescued but 2 men are missing. The Thames is running fairly fast where I am near Old Windsor although there are no stream warnings here or further downstream.

Let's hope they are all ok.

BBC London news has reported that one body has been found.

Tim

OK, they can get a better view if they are searching for a submerged object by standing, but no lifejackets ??

DUHH !!

When crossing the river is part of one's daily commute, most people who live on these islands don't wear lifejackets because they're on and off of small boats so much. Of course that frequency of crossing the river means that statistically we're more at risk so we should wear lifejackets every time we cross, but you know how it is...

When crossing the river is part of one's daily commute, most people who live on these islands don't wear lifejackets because they're on and off of small boats so much. Of course that frequency of crossing the river means that statistically we're more at risk so we should wear lifejackets every time we cross, but you know how it is...

Mike, I agree, but it appears these 'standers' were involved in the search after the event. Surely one would be alerted to the dangers and take precautions in such circumstances. I would never wear a lifejacket when sitting in a dinghy to cross the Thames, but if I was punting about while standing up looking for a body, presumably assisting the emergency services .........