River Weaver

boatchad

Featured Posts

We are planning a trip out if Anderton at the beginning of March can't go south because of the stoppage at Marbury and we have already been north up the Bridgewater to Manchester this winter. What we have never done is drop down onto the Weaver and I don't really know why! So I am turning to you who collectively probably have one of the most complete personal experience databases available, and usually come up trumps with requests for advice or help.

What is the Weaver really like? Information needed for everything from which way to turn first when we get to the bottom of the lift, to mooring, pubs, walks, places to eat, fishing, must see's, and things to avoid in fact just about anything and everything Weaver?

Thanks in anticipation.

:rolleyes::angry:

i wish i knew more also,i went down on the lift and just had a mad half hour on the river doing big turns.i did not even realise the lift went down to a river,the kids had life jackets but i did not,i did not know if it was tidal,fast flowing or anything at all.

i told the bw fella on the lift that i would cancel my place on the lift but he encouraged me carry on and just take the quick spin on the river and come back up again,no dont worry you wont need an anchor he smiled.

well it was my first big trip on the boat. :rolleyes:

We are planning a trip out if Anderton at the beginning of March can't go south because of the stoppage at Marbury and we have already been north up the Bridgewater to Manchester this winter. What we have never done is drop down onto the Weaver and I don't really know why! So I am turning to you who collectively probably have one of the most complete personal experience databases available, and usually come up trumps with requests for advice or help.

What is the Weaver really like? Information needed for everything from which way to turn first when we get to the bottom of the lift, to mooring, pubs, walks, places to eat, fishing, must see's, and things to avoid in fact just about anything and everything Weaver?

Thanks in anticipation.

:rolleyes::angry:

Like all rivers the Weaver can be fast-flowing after a lot of heavy rain so in March you'd be wise to check with BW before going. But when we went last summer it was absolutely marvellous (there are a few pictures on my website). It was a very very gentle flow, the river is stunningly beautiful (except right at the end at Weston Point which is fascinating but not beautiful), there are only a half-dozen or so visitor's moorings and maybe another half-dozen narrowboat-friendly places to moor (have a look at the Boaters Guide on Waterscape) but they are mostly pretty good. The river is deep right to the edge and a delight to cruise on.

People all say don't moor overnight in Winsford (difficult and rowdy mooring outside the pub) and we didn't like the moorings down at Rocksavage or Sutton because they were near noisy roads - but everywhere else is just fantastic. Several good moorings by the locks - we stopped overnight below Dutton Locks for example - and the mooring above Vale Royal Lock is just about the most beautiful I've ever spent a night on. Northwich is great - good moorings handy for the town where there are loads of shops, markets, pubs, etc. You'll want to go out onto Winsford flash - in fact you'll need to to wind above Winsford - but go slowly and keep generally to the right it's very shallow especially in the middle and if you get stuck you're in trouble.

The people at the Anderton Lift will give you all the maps, guides, and other info you need. I'd say definitely go for it (weather permitting)

Allan

Hi Chad.

The Weaver is a great trip and of course one of the few chances we up here have for messing about on a river. In fact I only spent one night on the river, Winsford has a few good moorings though it is not a particularly attractive pub town, ignore the 'Limit of navigation sign' at the town bridge and cruise straight into the flash, I don't like to contradict people but there is no problem with depth, several times I tried and failed to touch bottom with my 10 foot pole, there is a yachty sailing club on one bank, the expanse of water is enormous, take the rare opportunity to do a few figure 8's.

The weaver is a very benign sort of river, not prone to flooding or having high flows and certainly not tidal, it flows into the Manchester Ship Canal, just have the usual river gear. To my mind the main attraction of the river is as a destination and as novelty value with strange views and of course the Anderton Lift. As you are going early in the year telephone BW and make sure there are no stoppages with the lift or locks, the operation hours can be quite short at the best of times.

Edited by John Orentas

... ignore the 'Limit of navigation sign' at the town bridge and cruise straight into the flash, I don't like to contradict people but there is no problem with depth, several times I tried and failed to touch bottom with my 10 foot pole, there is a yachty sailing club on one bank, the expanse of water is enormous, take the rare opportunity to do a few figure W's.

Chad,

Not knowing any better, I took a line too near the middle and found myself churning up the mud from the bottom in less than 2'6" of water, but moving a boats-length over towards the sailing club gave me more depth. At that point I chickened out and turned back - but if I was going again I'd take the opportunity to talk to a few people first and then cruise all over the Flash, it's beautiful and I know there's a deep channel all the way to the other end if you can find it like John clearly did.

By the way I've just edited my web page to put a couple of extra photos up there.

Allan

Ive just had a look for threads on the weaver, there are quite a few, but not much info (not more thatn i here already)

I went upto windsford flash in suliven (geoffs, a friend of my grandads, steam launch) with zara finn (another steam launch) after one nantwich on-water-festaval thingy.

- It was a nice trip, well worth it.

And we have vaugly planned to do it first thing this season, seeing as it fell off the end of last years boating.

The flash is pritty deep as john says, i know quite a few people who sail on it, and theres deffonatly enought depth to turtle a topper i the middle.

Daniel

*turtling is where you turn a sail boat right upside down, with the mast pointing stright down

Thanks Daniel it is comforting to know that if we do turtle Phoenix we will not foul the bottom with our roof which should make righting her that bit easier. Once turtled my 'Ent' and the mast top got well and truely stuck, the local diving club were called in to release it and I was taken off to the local hospital with hypethermia after spending to long in the water trying to release it.

Well worth the trip.

Trip report here:

http://www.minsups.co.uk/isis/

That trip was taken a couple of years ago. We also went down last september, when Vale Royal lock was (just about) operational, so we got up onto the flashes. Had a float around on a glorious sunny afternoon. Went almost to the top end. Keep well away from the left hand side as you are going up, as that is where it is shallowest. When you get up near the bigger sailing club you will see big floats that they race round, anywhere inside those is deep.

Nice moorings above Vale Royal lock - there is a small visitor mooring there, but we stopped on the other side a bit further up.

Have a walk down the Frodsham Arm as well (don'y try and take the boat down!). This has got to be one of the easiest restoration projects going, but nothing is happening. A footbridge and pipe would need raising and the lock repaired, then you could get down on to the Weaver proper and cruise up to Frodsham.

Edited by dor

Once turtled my 'Ent' and the mast top got well and truely stuck, the local diving club were called in to release it and I was taken off to the local hospital with hypethermia after spending to long in the water trying to release it.

Yeah, ive turtled a ent in budworth mere (and a GP, and a topper).

- The can be a right pain in the arse to get ouot, often impossable on your own.

Best way is get a rope over the gunnel, tie it round the mast foot, and then get the support boat (10ft inflatable with a 9.9 on the back) to give it a good long PULLLLLLL...!

- Then get a milk bottle tied on the top of the mast!

Daniel

Thanks to you all for your comments on the river Weaver my appetite for all things weaver has been suitably wetted. A special thanks to Dor, the trip report on your website is excellent and made very enjoyable reading.

One last weaver query, will two days suffice to do the river justice? Time on the boat is precious so we tend to do some long days, we've not yet mastered the art of canal related relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Just thought I would add that the Weaver is in fact a Navigation, best discription I can Give is part canal and a one way river! It is locked at the Manchester ship canal but the river part (not navigable I think) though actually goes over a weir into the Manchester Ship Canal as per its original course. The Navigation is used as a drain for all the surrounding areas and therefore only tends to run towards the MSC. It is definately not tidal!

JohnT

• 1 year later...