Where do the bikes go?

DeanS

Featured Posts

I have thus far always pictured my families bikes going on the boat roof. I thought this was the ONLY way...until I saw this pic below. Now I am really keen to do it this way, and leave my roof open for more solar panels, firewood etc.

Would you say this is a good place to put bikes? I have come to realise there are always many opinions for and against...so I only take notice when there is an overwhelming majority in 1 direction :)))

Ice+Boat+3.jpg

I have thus far always pictured my families bikes going on the boat roof. I thought this was the ONLY way...

no traditional boatman would have put a bike on the front, chucked on top of the load or in the hold when empty so if you want to be traditional then cut of your cabin and cloth the front 75% :cheers:

That's my boat and bike.

I only store them here because we're on a broad river, and so they're unlikely to get knocked by locksides or bridgeholes. The bikes don't come with me when we make the long trek to the canals, they're far too vulnerable there for that rough-and-tumble environment.

However, it is a safe place to store bikes. I've chained them to nearby benches and had them nicked before, but having them on the boat is a deterrent to thieves.

That's my boat and bike.

I only store them here because we're on a broad river, and so they're unlikely to get knocked by locksides or bridgeholes. The bikes don't come with me when we make the long trek to the canals, they're far too vulnerable there for that rough-and-tumble environment.

However, it is a safe place to store bikes. I've chained them to nearby benches and had them nicked before, but having them on the boat is a deterrent to thieves.

I was reading your blog:))

Would you say this is a good place to put bikes? I have come to realise there are always many opinions for and against...so I only take notice when there is an overwhelming majority in 1 direction :)))

Dean - we have managed to snag our cratch cover on at least two occasions snapping elastic fasteners and/or bending the welded hooks in the process of leaving or entering locks. I would say bikes there are going to be pretty vulnerable to damage.

I have thus far always pictured my families bikes going on the boat roof. I thought this was the ONLY way...until I saw this pic below. Now I am really keen to do it this way, and leave my roof open for more solar panels, firewood etc.

Ice+Boat+3.jpg

:D

Your getting there with all the questions but by far the best place for any push bike is in the nearest skip.............

Your getting there with all the questions but by far the best place for any push bike is in the nearest skip.............

It's not for me....it' for the kids, wife, father in law. Someone has to stay with the boat ;-)

Edited by DeanS

It's not for me....it' for the kids, wife, father in law. Someone has to stay with the boat ;-)

:cheers:

Good man I am with you on this one, push bikes are ok for any one else but not for us ......... :D now a proper bike with an engine...................... :D

That's what I did with mine, it laid on the roof for about 3 years without being used, then 12 months at the moorings with the grass growing through the wheels so you can guess where it went next.

We keep our two bikes chained on the back of the boat - we have a square back cruiser stern. They are fastened to the boat using a device from Ikea from their garage storage systems, 7 years ago now, so I don't know if they still sell them. We don't put them on the roof because I'm only little and I'd never be able to get them off there!

I store my bike on the roof, but have to say, it doesn't 'like' being there and is being repaired again! I'll get a Brompton when I can afford it, but I wonder how it'll fair on the towpaths, I feel I need a mountain bike for the rough terrain of some of them!

If you leave bikes on the roof for some of the lower rail bridges on the Lee and Stort, I'm not surprised they need repairing. :lol:

Don't know how much room you can find for "folders", but I'd seriously say look at 20" wheel models like Dahon Speed over the 16" wheel Bromptons.

Yes, you need a bit more storage space, but much more able to deal with rougher terrain. Also cost a shed load less than Bromptons too!

There's a few bridges on the south ox you can't get under with bikes on the roof

I found just one! Going North I was very careful and the bike's handlebars cleared the bridge. Coming back South I was overconfident and the handlebars hit the bridge roof resulting in a severely buckled front wheel. Perhaps the level had risen an inch?

Then again, I have had my bike swept off the roof by low-hanging branches - I guess I am careless? Perhaps, all the boats without bikes on the roof have already had them swept away?

Alan