What to do when diesel ' freezes'

Tree Spirit

Featured Posts

Having managed to get my generator fixed (Mase 6.5 post), my dad is convinced it is the very cold temperatures causing the genny to struggle as a result of diesel getting 'thicker'

Dad suggested putting half a pint of paraffin in the diesel tank.

What do others think?

I have no idea if it would damage any of the other things which allegedly run off the diesel: Mikuni central heating, main engine etc

So far the only thing working is my main engine (also very much indoors and still above freezing).

My genny lives indoors and survived two winters of -10 degrees is raw water cooled and sounded great while it was running!

Thoughts very much appreciated.

:help:

Having managed to get my generator fixed (Mase 6.5 post), my dad is convinced it is the very cold temperatures causing the genny to struggle as a result of diesel getting 'thicker'

Dad suggested putting half a pint of paraffin in the diesel tank.

What do others think?

I have no idea if it would damage any of the other things which allegedly run off the diesel: Mikuni central heating, main engine etc

So far the only thing working is my main engine (also very much indoors and still above freezing).

My genny lives indoors and survived two winters of -10 degrees is raw water cooled and sounded great while it was running!

Thoughts very much appreciated.

:help:

This won't cause any harm - I am sure it was a commonly done thing to put up to 10% or 15% petrol in with the fuel in truckers tanks on cold temperature runs... You need to ensure its not too much dilution of the diesel as this supplies the critical injector pump lubrication, without which wear will be much accelerated...

I have nearly always run my Webasto 100% on home heating oil, also known as 28 second oil and paraffin or kerosene - I think though that the latter are slightly more refined but essentially the same.... It would take very cold temperatures to affect the operation of heaters running on this...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

This won't cause any harm - I am sure it was a commonly done thing to put up to 10% or 15% petrol in with the fuel in truckers tanks on cold temperature runs... You need to ensure its not too much dilution of the diesel as this supplies the critical injector pump lubrication, without which wear will be much accelerated...

I have nearly always run my Webasto 100% on home heating oil, also known as 28 second oil and paraffin or kerosene - I think though that the latter are slightly more refined but essentially the same.... It would take very cold temperatures to affect the operation of heaters running on this...

Nick

How nice that you have a separate tank for the heating. All my diesel comes out the same tank so if it gels everything will go.

Sue

How nice that you have a separate tank for the heating. All my diesel comes out the same tank so if it gels everything will go.

Sue

I wasn't thinking so much of the diesel gelling when I insisted on a separate tank, more the fact that the home heating oil was 30p/litre at the time ( now 44p ) and diesel is around double that (or more).

I am sure there are anti-gel additives around though - a diesel expert ( haulage company owner ?) will be along soon... It's not diesel bug is it ? The winter formulation of diesel I think has more of this in it to prevent this very effect...

However, I guess you need a quick fix to get it going - can you warm the fuel ( pour some diesel that has been warmed ( safely) into the tank) and warm up the pump / lines with a hot-air blower / warm water ? )

Do be careful warming fuels - definitely don't put a saucepan of petrol on the gas hob under any circumstances - it will definitely go up... or experiment with any petrol in the cabin - maybe warm a pint or two of diesel in a larger pan of hot water if you have a way of introducing that into the genny. The safest way would be to warm things with hot water, although that may not be practical and may be messy - I guess the genny is fixed in/on the boat and is too heavy for you to move..

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

A similar thread ran on here just a week or so back about diesel "waxing".

The general consensus then was that unless you are in a very exposed place, with unusually low temperatures, any variant of currently delivered gas oil / DERV, dyed or otherwise, should not suffer waxing. All should withstand normal lowest UK temperatures these days.

Your problem is more likely to be something other than just "diesel to cold", I think.

If you have "bug" or water as part of the problem, blending in some other product may not help.

I wasn't thinking so much of the diesel gelling when I insisted on a separate tank, more the fact that the home heating oil was 30p/litre at the time ( now 44p ) and diesel is around double that (or more).

Catch up, the buggers have put heating oil up to almost 70p in the last 2 weeks, supply and demand.

Catch up, the buggers have put heating oil up to almost 70p in the last 2 weeks, supply and demand.

Crikey ! - I am glad I bought my winter requirements a month back then ( 44p) . Even in the peak last winter it didn't go above 58p (around here). I'll see what Boilerjuice are currently quoting and report back...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Crikey ! - I am glad I bought my winter requirements a month back then ( 44p) . Even in the peak last winter it didn't go above 58p (around here). I'll see what Boilerjuice are currently quoting and report back...

Nick

I have just looked at http://www.oilpricecheck.co.uk/latest.htm and that is no where near the prices being quoted on local TV last night for the Anglia area, but it has gone up since yesterday

I have just looked at http://www.oilpricec...o.uk/latest.htm and that is no where near the prices being quoted on local TV last night for the Anglia area, but it has gone up since yesterday

I have just checked our area with Boilerjuice and the prices have gone up to around 68p for home heating oil mad.gif.... I don't remember crude oil going up 50% in the last 2 months...

and petrol certainly hasn't...

RIP OFF BRITAIN at work again.... doesn't bother me though, as I just won't buy at those prices and make do with other things... and I won't patronise them when they do stop profiteering..

Nick

I have just checked our area with Boilerjuice and the prices have gone up to around 68p for home heating oil mad.gif.... I don't remember crude oil going up 50% in the last 2 months...

RIP OFF BRITAIN at work again.... doesn't bother me though, as I just won't buy at those prices and make do with other things... and I won't patronise them when they do stop profiteering..

Nick

I think your in a time warp, I was out and about in September and Norbury was the cheapest anywhere at 58p. Are you sure you didn't buy it last winter!!??

I think your in a time warp, I was out and about in September and Norbury was the cheapest anywhere at 58p. Are you sure you didn't buy it last winter!!??

Yes - definitely - it was approx early September... 44.6p/litre all in. This is home heating oil delivered to a house, not from the canal side or from a fuel barge... if that's where the difference is arising... and we are in the rural south if that makes a difference...

http://www.boilerjui...rices.php?src=1

We didn't buy from these guys as they are a few p more expensive than our guy charges, although their chart shows the national average was low 40s at that time... have a look at the National minimum chart - its suggesting some regions have not put their prices up and it is still possible to find at around 47p/litre.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Am thinking of a couple of hot water bottles either side of the fuel filters maybe? Keep at it. Do have hairdryer but a bit random as to where it goes (the heat) and there is this lamp I could plug in, but it will run off the inerter...at least I might find out what is the problem. Can I damage my generator if I run it and it struggles?

Am running the main engine, will take the side and top off generator to warm it up and lift floor boards etc. Feel a bit more able to try at least. Not happy with my central heating not working though.

:cheers:

I have just checked our area with Boilerjuice and the prices have gone up to around 68p for home heating oil. I don't remember crude oil going up 50% in the last 2 months...

Nick

Not profiteering, just market forces. As Nick has correctly deduced, you don't have to buy at the prices offered - unless you have to - but then that's your fault, not the vendor's. That is how supply and demand balance each other.

The market price for any good or commodity is the price at which the profit (and turnover) are most acceptable to the vendor. If you don't like the price, you should have bought elsewhere (or elsewhen)! The vendor has children to clothe and feed as well, you know.

No I don't think Nick is in a time warp! He and I are both rural dwellers darn sarf and use 28 sec oil for home heating. I'm looking at my last bill dated 9 Sept 2010 and it says 39.35 p per litre (+ 5% VAT ie 41.32p total). Admittedly that was for 3200 litres!

I'm also glad I got it a few months back!

Richard

Edited by rjasmith