Inverter or no inverter - that is my question.

Lou - Rowanberry

Featured Posts

Howdy, just wondering what people's view on having an inverter (sine wave 1500w for instance) on a liveaboard might be?

Mine has just blown and I've been doing okay on the 12v system, not using my few high-powered pieces of equip. I've been told an inverter can chew up energy all on its own.

Anyone else gone through this conundrum and come out the other end pleased with their decision? I'd be interested to hear.

My little luxuries include a hoover and a washing machine - I know, I know! but they came with the boat when I bought it. Of course I can always buy a hand-hoover and twin-tub for 12v system and am therefore deciding on which way to go.

Thoughts most welcome. (I'm not connected to any source of electric - constant cruiser - boating, that is).

Thanks,

Louise

I considered putting a washing machine on my boat utilising a Victron box that could switch between battery to 240v, engine alternator producing 240v or from a land line

The cost was quite prohibitive so I have settled for a £15 inverter from Maplins which copes really well with the computer and low usage items but also have a much bigger box (which stays in the cupboard most of the time) to run a hoover or similar.

I have a home mooring thougfh which allows a shore hook up

Howdy, just wondering what people's view on having an inverter (sine wave 1500w for instance) on a liveaboard might be?

Mine has just blown and I've been doing okay on the 12v system, not using my few high-powered pieces of equip. I've been told an inverter can chew up energy all on its own.

Anyone else gone through this conundrum and come out the other end pleased with their decision? I'd be interested to hear.

My little luxuries include a hoover and a washing machine - I know, I know! but they came with the boat when I bought it. Of course I can always buy a hand-hoover and twin-tub for 12v system and am therefore deciding on which way to go.

Thoughts most welcome. (I'm not connected to any source of electric - constant cruiser - boating, that is).

Thanks,

Louise

It's simple really. If you want to run those mains appliances you mentioned than you'll need either an inverter or a generator. If you don't want to run them then you don't need an inverter.

Inverters use a small amount of power by themselves (say 0.5 - 1 amp), but that shouldn't be an issue if you remember to switch them off after you've finished using your mains appliances.

Edited by blackrose

I would imagine for a live aboard an Inverter would be a very useful if not essential bit of kit.

On our boat using it for holidays etc then we tend to use more or less 12V exclusively. We do have an Inverter but just a small one @400 Watts and it rarely gets used.

We chose and fitted a Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 over five live aboard years ago and it has performed flawlessly, uses very little power on standby, it stays on 24/7 and we run efficient 230v lighting from it. Expensive but does the job with little if any drawbacks. I have come across boaters who are disappointed with them but that was because they weren't aware of it's capabilities, one complained that it was useless as it wouldn't run a w/m from their 2kva genny or charge domestic batts not realising it just needed shorepower limit setting up, makes you wonder how many Victrons are just going to waste through ignorance. They are the business.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi

Invertors are so useful, instead of restricting yourself to only 12V.

All appliances are cheaper at 240v.

The invertor losses are a small price to pay for the convenience of not having to worry about having something 240v on board.

I use 240v for - hob lighter - fridge - iron - toaster - TV - DVD - phone charger - laptop charger - rechargable torch - rechargable vac - electric clock - plus power tools.

Definetly not a washing machine.

All from an 1800W invertor

Alex

We chose and fitted a Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 over five live aboard years ago and it has performed flawlessly, uses very little power on standby, it stays on 24/7 and we run efficient 230v lighting from it. Expensive but does the job with little if any drawbacks. I have come across boaters who are disappointed with them but that was because they weren't aware of it's capabilities, one complained that it was useless as it wouldn't run a w/m from their 2kva genny or charge domestic batts not realising it just needed shorepower limit setting up, makes you wonder how many Victrons are just going to waste through ignorance. They are the business.

They are. Please go directly to post #2 without delay. :rolleyes:

Biggles

I've lived without an inverter for a number of years (I was given a 1500W one last year and still not fitted it)

A bit of clever buying helps to keep the cost of 12v goods down. Many TV's etc are 12v without being advertised as so.

Looking at Steelaways list:

hob lighter - My cooker has a 12v igniter. If it didn't I'd use matches or one of those spark gizmo's

fridge - I have a 12v fridge (which has a 'premium' price tag)

iron - wear crinkly clothes (or pop round the GF's)

toaster - gas grill?

TV/DVD - 12v

phone charger - 12v

laptop charger - one of those Maplin 12v to 18v gizmo's

rechargeable torch - 12v

rechargeable vac - Mines 240v and runs off the genny when battery charging

electric clock - 1.5v battery

power tools - Genny

I do battery charge using a genny (personal choice as I don't believe in using a damn great engine for running a small alternator). The hoover would only be used at weekends if I'm putting and extra bit of charge in the batteries.

I don't have 240v via an inverter (I personally have a view that high loads via an inverter bollocks your batteries), but I do have an option for it via the genny on those very rare occasions when I use it.