Live a Boards boaters with large birds

LisaG1

Featured Posts

I'm trying to adopt a rescue African Grey bird from a bird rescue organisation, but i'm having problems with the rescue place due to living on a 70" narrowboat. They're coming to do a home check soon, but i'm trying get proof that other boat owners and liveaboards do own large birds. Please can anyone who own bird/s and lives on a boat or are a boat owner that take their birds on their boating holidays please email me some photo's, so I can prove that us boaters do have birds as pets.

They haven't given me any reasons why they have a problem, all they have told me is they're not sure that a boat is good for a bird because they can get sea sick. Silly I know.

So please if you can help me please email pictures to hornetbabe600@aol.com

Lisa

Edited by LisaG1

I wonder where the expression "sick as a parrot" came from then?!

Long John Silver was a famous parrot owning boater.

Seriously though, I know a live aboard couple who have an african grey on their boat full time and it seems quite happy and healthy.

It chucks a fair bit of seed around though.

The title of this thread could get me into so much trouble! No knowledge of caged birds and whilst I appreciate you are rescuing this one, I think african greys would be better in africa. I can't imagine a nb being that great for a bird to exercise in. Would your well meaning rescue attempt make the bird happy?

There is a parrot on a boat at the entrance to Braunston Marina. It's been there a few years.

Sue

Yes i've met the owners of that boat about 8yrs ago and they have a large macaw which is a lot bigger than a grey.

We have an African Grey, and although we are not liveaboards, we take him on our narrowboat on weekends and holidays. We have no problems with him at all, despite the fact that he is basically a rescue bird which we took in when no-one else wanted him.

I have such a lot to say that I've emailed you separately. I really don't think sea-sickness is a problem! Our bird really seems to enjoy his boating trips!

Good luck.

I used to run a Parrot rescue and still have some rescued parrots, i would never rehome any large bird to a boat/ caravan,

too many risks to the bird, fumes, water, lack of space and the constant moving will cause sleep/rest problems

I don't agree with your comments. I have a friend who owns two greys living in a house. The Greys are in the same room as the open fire which may give off more fumes than a solid fuel stove, they actually live next to a canal and didn't you know birds live in a large cage and come out only if they want to. I think 70ft of space is plentyful. And as for moving constantly i have a mooring where we dont rock or move when boats go by.

Parrots love boats...well Scsi our Senegal does. Senegals are not great talkers (like African Greys), her only party piece, when the cage is under the cratch is "Slow down!", albiet in a quiet voice.

We have seen many parrots in narrowboats on our travels.

What hand bred parrots don't like is being left for long periods without human contact.

As for getting seasick, Scsi only got slighly peturbed if we go to sea*! and this is only because we put its cage on the floor.

She managed to stay quiet when she was a stowaway in a Standedge Tunnel passage.

As for adopting a previously owed African Grey, make sure it was hand bred in this country. Some birds will be impossible to retrain, especially with those with bad behavoiur and could well be pining for their owner, so be very careful.

Owing to Mrs TNC's unsuitable dog, Scsi has now retired round my son's and does not do much boating. She had a week this year, on the GU with me and son Peter and really got quite excited when she knew she was going boating.

Dscn2437.jpg

Me and Scsi relaxing on the Middle Level, after a Wash passage. (back in the old days when I did live trip reports)

sea*

Scsi has done:

The Severn Estuary

The Mersey up to Fiddlers Ferry and down to Liverpool Docks

The Wash (twice)

The Humber

The Ribble Link (along with her Amazon friend Jasmine, on NB Meaderine)

• Greenie 1

I've owned many different types of parrot from cockateels, through African greys to mullucan cockatoos, they all demanded attention pretty much full time (more so than an child) they always make a huge noise when the punch line of joke comes up or some interesting news item on TV, they catch colds easily and they create vast quantities or dust from glands under the wing which nearly killed me (a week in hospital on oxygen) I can't own any birds now.

This is not something to undertake on a whim

I've owned many different types of parrot from cockateels, through African greys to mullucan cockatoos, they all demanded attention pretty much full time (more so than an child) they always make a huge noise when the punch line of joke comes up or some interesting news item on TV, they catch colds easily and they create vast quantities or dust from glands under the wing which nearly killed me (a week in hospital on oxygen) I can't own any birds now.

This is not something to undertake on a whim

Thanks for your comments. This isn't a whim. I have over 30yrs experience with small parrots and i do own a cocketiel which i had from a breeder in 1989. He was 6 weeks old when i brought him he's 21 now and loves the boat. I have had other birds while having my cocketiel but he's outlived them all.