Anyone NOT frozen in?

Bodkin

Featured Posts

About 10 mm of ice at Henhull in south Cheshire today. Here we have to access the offside by means of a dinghy - took me about 15 minutes to hack my way across! Lowest temperature last night was -3.5 inside the boat, -9 outside. Probably going to be colder tonight.

Don't you have any heating on your boat Dor?

-3C last night outside on the Thames at Old Windsor/Runnymede and it's still -0.8C at 9am.

How cold would it have to get for the non-tidal Thames to freeze?

Edited by blackrose

Snow in Lichfield - weren't expecting any until tomorrow. fish pond has 1cm of ice, now have to go look for the pond heater!

Why don't you come out and give us all a wave Josher!!

edited to add Sun's out but temp still at 0

Edited by headjog

Not yet....

But I saw ice forming on the regents canal last night.... just up from limehouse...

I think all the speeding work boats (G4S Security!!!!) on the limehouse cut will help keep the sheets of ice away!!

When we got home at 5am the canal at Southall was frozen over and was still frozen when I got up at 11, although it seems to have all melted now, helped by a few passing boats. I'm planning on filling the water tank and ice proofing properly today. But the boat's just so nice and cosy on the inside :D Maybe just another couple of hours in front of the telly....

Thin covering of snow at Alvechurch last night; made the ice a bit more demanding just enough to make breaking through to the facilities entertaining :P

We did what was supposed to be a pre-emptive trip to the services yesterday after the ice arrived on Thursday but it had thickened overnight, so we had a good 40 mins of 'ice-bashing' to go 50 yards, but managed to get filled up with water and do a precautionary pump-out (after BW came out and unfroze the pipe!)so are now sorted for the foreseeable.

Good job as this morning it had snowed on top of the ice and it had re-frozen what we broke up yesterday!

Can't complain it's nice and toasty in the boat and a beautiful scene outside - you can beat living on the water and waking up to that! :D

Good to see boaters taking pre-emptive action.

Presumably these won't be the people who in about a week's time will be the ones moaning about running out of water, etc. and then blaming others.

Last winter when I was moored at the marina in Brentford we all had our own bollards with shared water taps (1 between 2 boats), so we didn't even need to move or boats to get water. Even then some people neglected to fill up their tanks in time and when the taps froze they all started complaining to BW. :banghead:

Living on boats requires a degree of initiative even if you're on shore power in a marina living the "floating flat" lifestyle.

Edited by blackrose

When we got home at 5am the canal at Southall was frozen over and was still frozen when I got up at 11, although it seems to have all melted now, helped by a few passing boats. I'm planning on filling the water tank and ice proofing properly today. But the boat's just so nice and cosy on the inside :D Maybe just another couple of hours in front of the telly....

I didn't have time to fill up before today so ended up spending nearly an hour unfreezing my water supply and hose. Ended up with a pile of funny little ice blocks pushed out the end of the hose. Am glad I'm full again and will be conserving water carefully until the freeze ends. Made sure the tap was nicely lagged and the hose empty of water so hopefully won't have such a problem next week. Coal scuttle is full, boat is cosy. Now all I've got to do is thaw out the full cassette so that I can empty it tomorrow as I stupidly left it outside :banghead:

A couple of boats came past ice breaking today so the thin layer of ice was well broken up and melting but I bet it will be back tomorrow morning. My main worry is that when the ice surrounds the boat the cat gets too excited watching the waterfowl walking on water and is tempted to chase after them. I do not want to repeat the very cold, wet, stupid rescue of three years ago as I don't think I would manage to get out of the water again and the landing net only reaches so far .....

Merlin might end up being grounded until the ice thaws.

D

I didn't have time to fill up before today so ended up spending nearly an hour unfreezing my water supply and hose. Ended up with a pile of funny little ice blocks pushed out the end of the hose. Am glad I'm full again and will be conserving water carefully until the freeze ends. Made sure the tap was nicely lagged and the hose empty of water so hopefully won't have such a problem next week. Coal scuttle is full, boat is cosy. Now all I've got to do is thaw out the full cassette so that I can empty it tomorrow as I stupidly left it outside :banghead:

A couple of boats came past ice breaking today so the thin layer of ice was well broken up and melting but I bet it will be back tomorrow morning. My main worry is that when the ice surrounds the boat the cat gets too excited watching the waterfowl walking on water and is tempted to chase after them. I do not want to repeat the very cold, wet, stupid rescue of three years ago as I don't think I would manage to get out of the water again and the landing net only reaches so far .....

Merlin might end up being grounded until the ice thaws.

D

That's some hard s**t

I'll get me coat

Edit: Forgot to log Smelly out again, Bagpuss

Edited by Smelly

Stuck in ice in Rodley on Leeds and Liverpool. Really irritating because we just bought a winter mooring in Leeds and wanted to get there on Monday. Might be stuck here a while if the weather forecast is accurate. And running low on water!

Narrowboat stuck in ice at Rodley

Surely if the swans can get through a steel NB can...