lining out material

pamaloon

Featured Posts

Reading the Forum from Biggles's bits on painting, may I ask those of you who'd like to share info, what you consider the best material to be for lining out our NBs, WBs etc?

I understand a lot of up-to-the-minute thingummy-bobs are lined with laminates of one description or another e.g. mock tongue 'n groove; "beech" effect something-or-others etc etc., let alone those with authentic tongue 'n groove in one direction or another but, as I rather like the "Shaker-style" in pastel paint colours, it'd seem rather odd to line everything in a "laminated" material.... Otherwise I guess I could use tongue 'n groove anyway and paint that????

Responses would be much appreciated. Just remember your talking to a nit-wit who needs everything explained in slow, laborious, technicolour!

Cheers, everyone :cheers:

Reading the Forum from Biggles's bits on painting, may I ask those of you who'd like to share info, what you consider the best material to be for lining out our NBs, WBs etc?

I understand a lot of up-to-the-minute thingummy-bobs are lined with laminates of one description or another e.g. mock tongue 'n groove; "beech" effect something-or-others etc etc., let alone those with authentic tongue 'n groove in one direction or another but, as I rather like the "Shaker-style" in pastel paint colours, it'd seem rather odd to line everything in a "laminated" material.... Otherwise I guess I could use tongue 'n groove anyway and paint that????

Responses would be much appreciated. Just remember your talking to a nit-wit who needs everything explained in slow, laborious, technicolour!

Cheers, everyone :cheers:

a decently faced marine ply seems good

World of choices for you, ain't there?

On the project boat we've gone for plain ply panels below the gunwales, which are to be painted, then framed in hardwood. Above, is strippy oak effect lamiate, with tongue-and-groove ceiling. The latter may or may not get painted white at some point.

T'other boat is oak veneered ply above and below.

PC

On the undercloth conversion on the motor I used reclaimed eucalyptus floorboards above the gunwales and reclaimed canadian pine 10” T&G below. This gives it a rather traditional look.

On the butty's undercloth conversion I used the much maligned MDF above the gunwales and ordinary T&G floorboards below. The inside was then painted with emulsion paint.

Jan15th013.jpg

Don't let people put you off MDF. It's a versatile and easy-to-work-with material and, provided you insulate the boat properly, you won't have any problems with the MDF sponging up moisture. Just make sure that you take the appropriate safety precautions.

Don't let people put you off MDF. It's a versatile and easy-to-work-with material and, provided you insulate the boat properly, you won't have any problems with the MDF sponging up moisture. Just make sure that you take the appropriate safety precautions.

Blimey!

You'll be presenting "Changing Rooms" (or something similar) next, Jim!

Ive used moisture resistant Medite, the non formaldehyde version of MDF, on the walls.

With no grain, its easy to make use of all the sheet as you dont have to match up the grain direction of offcuts. After a few coats of el cheapo magnolia, its ready to take any paint.

Ive used moisture resistant Medite, the non formaldehyde version of MDF, on the walls.

With no grain, its easy to make use of all the sheet as you dont have to match up the grain direction of offcuts. After a few coats of el cheapo magnolia, its ready to take any paint.

mdf is fine if you seal it, mines been in place 3 years, no probs as yet, nice to work with as well

I took the time and trouble to to go the the ply wholesaler and hand pick the sheets I wanted once I had found the product I wanted.

Blog Link

On the finishing front I was initially going to do a spray satin finish. A forum member told me the product I needed and I got a sample, sprayed some test off cuts, and showed SWMBO, she said "hmm" then she saw some other off cuts I had been experimenting with, satin gloss, silk emulsion, matt emulsion, oil and water based eggshells all which had been half lacquered and half un-lacquered. She immediately picked up the plain matt emulsion and said "I want this".

I'm happy with that too. Wish I hadn't spent days researching and testing. Could have saved a fortune in time and paint. :rolleyes:

Biggles

On the undercloth conversion on the motor I used reclaimed eucalyptus floorboards above the gunwales and reclaimed canadian pine 10” T&G below. This gives it a rather traditional look.

On the butty's undercloth conversion I used the much maligned MDF above the gunwales and ordinary T&G floorboards below. The inside was then painted with emulsion paint.

Jan15th013.jpg

I know we've been here before but thats v.nice, :)

WOW! THANK YOU - all of you, for the help/advice you've given here. I'd hoped for a comprehensive response but never thought anything'd be this good.

All I need now is to run up to Solihull and find Young Catchpole's wallet :blink: and nip off to buy the goodies......!

Absolutely brilliant and, again, "Thank You" :cheers:

Pam

PS Sorry, Young Catchpole, - only joking! :blush:

Ive used moisture resistant Medite,

Thanks for this Artimis. I've just been whizzing around Google :detective: and either I've tweaked the wrong button or I'm a bigger nurd :wacko: than I thought I was as I don't seem to be in luck finding "Medite". Does it have another name... please?

Pam :huh: !

Hold it there, Artemis! Found it... and there's even an "Ultra-Light" that I like the sound of... Cheers, Pam