Lowsonford Marina - Objections

paulcatchpole

Featured Posts

In cave girl outfits, no doubt..

They're only native to the river Soar.

I am deeply worried that 'boat people' will not have the same respect and understanding for horse riders that 'country folk' have.

I'm always extra careful when encountering horse riders on blind turns, and in bridge holes. I've never hit one yet.

Edited by fuzzyduck

I must say that I find this ignorant Nimbyism very depressing, if not all that surprising.

But there is the odd exception that proves the rule. Before taking up a mooring in the new marina in Yelvertoft (2 miles north of Crick on the Leicester Arm) my wife and I took a straw poll of local opinion. (Well, two people, anyway!)

They were unanimously in favour on the grounds that more business for the local pub (the Knightley Arms, good beer, cheap food, real fire, dogs are allowed AND the locals talk to you), the EXCELLENT butchers (open Weds to Sat) and the very useful local store/post office might help to ensure their continued availability to the local residents in these difficult times.

But then Yelvertoft seems to be a very friendly village, all round. And perhaps that's the answer. (I'll leave forum members to work out the question)

Declaration of VERY vested interest: now my wife and I have a mooring at Yelvertoft WE want to see the local pub/butchers/shop getting plenty of business so they'll stay open for us!! So please give them a try.

Bob.

Quite intrigued to see this one

>>>>SNIP>>>>>

"Whichever [sic] their modes of travel they don’t come to look at 100 steel barges lined up in their parking spaces and dodge the cars and trucks that go along with them."

Two thoughts:

1st as his address is given as *****@astonmartin.com presumably if we all come in Aston Martins would that be okay?

2nd I always thought the canal was narrow at this point, so how can cars and 'trucks' (lorries surely) be going along with them?

I have emailed asking what they would use the donations for, as I don't really get why a community set-up against a planning applications needs cash donations?

If the application is refused by the LPA and goes to Public Inquiry, the local objectors will need an awful lot of money to fight their corner.

However, why not forget the marina and build a wind farm instead?

There's going to be one at Yelvertoft soon...

You can terminate the contract giving 3 months notice any time after the first 12 months

Is that what yours says ?

Even with the auctioned moorings, I think it's less restrictive than that. This is what the current conditions on the BW moorings site says....

You may terminate this Agreement at any time except within the first six months by giving two months written notice of termination to our local waterway office.

We got ours by tender, not auction, and I believe it to be the same - two months notice required, but not before 6 months of the contract have elapsed.

I was led to believe that for moorings taken up before tender and auctions, it was only one month's notice.

Where does your information come from, please ?

I think the main business in the village is the Fleur-de-lys pub, and here's their response:

I remember that pub (good pies) fleurdelys. We moored at the bottom of their garden this August and spent a pleasant afternoon sitting out side.

Seems a good place to put a small marina to me - but only for the energetic (it will be a while before we take on all those locks again!).

When we arrived for the Lapworth Banter we left the car in the carpark of the Navigation Inn. There were 2 women putting anti marina posters on the car windscreens. As we left the car to take our stuff to the boat a chap leaned out of the kitchen window and asked what they were doing, they went across to talk to him, showing the leaflets.

We left quick so as not to attract attention, and when we returned to get the next load only a few minutes later there were no notices on any of the cars.

I don't know if they were told to take them off, or if he removed them but the pub landlord was not keen on them campaigning in his pub carpark. I can only assume (because I don't know and didn't speak to any one who does know) that the landlord was in favour, or could see more trade if the marina went ahead.

Sue

Havin passed through during our Avon ring experience we overnighted here expecting to visit the Fleur de lyes, walking through the village and seeing all these signs really put us off, nice welcome for boaters :wacko: . Having had a pint at the pub and a read of the menu we decided we weren`t needed so pushed off, won`t be visiting there again :cheers:

We moor at Lowsonford and the NIMBY's signs are definatley lowing the tone of the village :)

The Fleur de Leys had a good sign outside in the summer

Support your local pub !

Say yes to Pies

:cheers:

The locals don't use their local :wacko: their trade is from visitors both by boat and car. Now then there's a tought the pub car park must have spaces for at least 100 cars, surely the traffic MUST be ruining the village. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm not for the marina as the traffic on the cut is heavy in the summer. But having said that easy access for deisel and a pump out and some where to turn, then may be I am for it :help: