One week out of Mercia...

Featured Posts

Saturday 23rd and we have one weeks boating opportunity out from Mercia at Willington...

Left out the marina takes us towards the Trent

Right towards Fradley juction....

We will need to be back on the following Saturday the 30th for a family celebration of our pearl (30th) wedding anniversary.

any suggestions for a 1 week cruise??? - bearing in mind short days....

TIA

Saturday 23rd and we have one weeks boating opportunity out from Mercia at Willington...

Left out the marina takes us towards the Trent

Right towards Fradley juction....

We will need to be back on the following Saturday the 30th for a family celebration of our pearl (30th) wedding anniversary.

any suggestions for a 1 week cruise??? - bearing in mind short days....

TIA

My mother has just returned from a weeks cruise in the Med, Still warm if its weather your looking for. :wacko:

For variety & scenery, probably down to the Trent & up the Soar, BUT it's that time of year when a good days heavy rain can bring the Trent/Soar into flood & you could be stuck.

If you want to be sure of getting back to celebrate, safer to head to Fradley & take your choice of the Cov or continuing on the T&M.

Congrats on 30 years --- you don't serve that long for murder. :cheers:

Tony

Whichever way you go, just remember to turn round after half a week. Don't do what we once did, and count from both ends of the week, we accidentally planned for two Wednesdays and had to rather hurry when we realised it was Thursday already!

For variety & scenery, probably down to the Trent & up the Soar, BUT it's that time of year when a good days heavy rain can bring the Trent/Soar into flood & you could be stuck.

If you want to be sure of getting back to celebrate, safer to head to Fradley & take your choice of the Cov or continuing on the T&M.

Tony

Cheers - we are inclined to go west (right out the marina) but straight on at Fradley, takes us on to a bit of the system we've not done before, hoped we might get to parts of the BCN and back but we'll see.

Which ever way you go you encounter the trent, although the bit between wychnor and alrewas isnt as wide as the bit at derwentmouth, it still rises quickly after a bit of rain! Whichever way you go have a grand time, I vote towards fradley and beyond up to great haywood and back. Easy in a week of short days!!!!

Regards

Dan

Which ever way you go you encounter the trent, although the bit between wychnor and alrewas isnt as wide as the bit at derwentmouth, it still rises quickly after a bit of rain! Whichever way you go have a grand time, I vote towards fradley and beyond up to great haywood and back. Easy in a week of short days!!!!

Regards

Dan

Thanks Dan - I do admit to forgetting the T&M westwards includes some river sections - I need to keep an eye on the level boards

cheers.

Tony

Does no one ever do the Erewash :unsure:

How far do you want to go in your week?

Personally i would head for the Trent but thats because we prefer cruising rivers. There are some suprisingly pretty places along the Trent.

Definitley fancy the Trent at some point but on reflection possibly not a good time of year to tackle it...

Does no one ever do the Erewash :unsure:

There was a thread about the Erewash recently looks interesting too...

Definitley fancy the Trent at some point but on reflection possibly not a good time of year to tackle it...

The water levels still appear quite low in parts on the Trent, i wouldnt be unduely concerned, the long term weather forecast doesnt look too bad either.

We had a cracking week on the Trent last November. It was nice to see the river in a different light and so quiet. It was a little chilly at times but well worth it. Cruising the tidal stretchs wrapped up warm with a cup of hot soup to hand is simply wonderful.

There was a thread about the Erewash recently looks interesting too...

Yep that would be me ,

Couldn`t help but add to this as we are going out of Mercia next weekend. And I thought about going up the erewash, was concerned to note that to go out of Mercia no one weems to mention Erewash :banghead:

I'm on the Trent at the moment and it seems quite low. Came close to going aground well out from the bank.

But you were in the correct channel?

Being in the middle isnt always the right place to be. You need to follow the charts to the letter at the moment. Many a boater (mainly narrowboatists this year for some reason) have come a cropper this year on the Trent. One widebeam narrowboat was stuck at Dunham Rack (possibly the most public place to run aground on the Trent!!) for well over a week this year, it was on completely the wrong side of the river!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep that would be me ,

Couldn`t help but add to this as we are going out of Mercia next weekend. And I thought about going up the erewash, was concerned to note that to go out of Mercia no one weems to mention Erewash :banghead:

Just back from a fabuloso week on board a hire boat from Aqua - Mercia. Wholeheartedly fantastic company, Many thanks to Justin and Co. well recommended, after doing many hire boats this puts pants on the lot. Wish I had tried them before we found boatshare, but hey I could always sell my share :lol:

We went up the Erewash - had a great 2 days. Great fishing

Edited by STIG

Just back from a fabuloso week on board a hire boat from Aqua - Mercia. Wholeheartedly fantastic company, Many thanks to Justin and Co. well recommended, after doing many hire boats this puts pants on the lot. Wish I had tried them before we found boatshare, but hey I could always sell my share :lol:

We went up the Erewash - had a great 2 days. Great fishing

You went the opposite way to us, we met Justin yesterday and yes he's a nice chap. I agree ref. the Aqua Narrowboats.

They look really well (there was a good few up the end of the T&M we went up) and as Justin pointed out it's the end of the season too.