Impression given by officials.

GRPCruiserman

Featured Posts

Just watched my recording of Waterworld from last night and the guy at the Crick Boat Show seemed to think, and gave the impression that, you had to spend at least £15000 on a starter boat. I bought a boat for £100 and spent about £150 on wood, and about five weekends work, and it did me for four years, including a fortnight's holiday each year.

It may have been the new cost he was talking about, but he didn't make that clear.

Why do officials on well watched programs on prime time TV portray canal boating as a rich man's sport? More needs to be said and more advice given on cheaper boating.

Anyone involved with the program, please note. :P

The £15k which he quoted was probably for an ok-ish condition older narrowboat. As has been quoted in the past on these forums, Cruisers now seem 'left out'.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Liam

no, we just buy 2nd hand cruisers, and enjoy the waterways.

I'm convinced that there's alot of spare money floating around that no one has tapped into for a while. And it's the cruiser market.

I might be wrong tho.

---------------Edit-----------------

I'll be taking fuzzy to the next event, she was engineless when crick happened.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Why do officials on well watched programs on prime time TV portray canal boating as a rich man's sport?

Because they only know 'rich' men.

Most nights I have had to sit down, and watch Sir Trevor read to me for half an hour, for which he received a million pounds a year salary, and a nighthood. (yes I know it is harder than that) and I don't deny him it for one second, nor am I envious etc.

Most on the credit list at the end of a program get at least £100,000 and some much more. I was staggered to learn that up to a few years ago, even the sweeper up at the BBC had to have been to Oxbridge, let alone university.

So to these people £15000 is only small change, but it cannot be afforded by the baker, who is only on £12000 per annum. It is difficult to be objective, when you are so removed from reality.

Most nights I have had to sit down, and watch Sir Trevor read to me for half an hour, for which he received a million pounds a year salary, and a nighthood. (yes I know it is harder than that) and I don't deny him it for one second, nor am I envious etc.

Most on the credit list at the end of a program get at least £100,000 and some much more. I was staggered to learn that up to a few years ago, even the sweeper up at the BBC had to have been to Oxbridge, let alone university.

So to these people £15000 is only small change, but it cannot be afforded by the baker, who is only on £12000 per annum. It is difficult to be objective, when you are so removed from reality.

What you say does seem to make perfect sense.

It does show a lack of research on the part of the program makers, doesn't it?

The most down to earth presenter I have seen is the guy on the Discorery Real Time program 'Boatyard'. I don't know his name, but he did seem to empathise with most of the boat restorers and he actually drove a car similar to mine worth under £1000!!! That was a superb series and really gave a feel to the various restorations, my only criticism being the apparent hurry to complete the variouis projects. Perhaps he should present a canal type program like the Waterworlds and Lock and Quays of this world.

:P

Roger might just find part of his answer to the question "where are all the ethnic minorities?" in this thread.

look at the way boating's portrayed in these programes, it's either bloody expensive, or it involves restoring 20 tonnes of rusting iron, how the hell is anyone but the middle classes going to get interested if it continues to be portrayed in this light? (Lets face it, the supra rich do their boating in Cannes, not the Shroppie.) Anyone watching these programs is getting such a skewed picture of the waterways.

Topgear, a show that deals with other potentially expensive machines shows a wide range of the avaliable hardware, not just the expensive end.

by comparison, the actual reality is rather different, at our marina, and many others i've seen, there is a wide range of boats varying from the brand new Ledgard bridge deluxe Narrowboat to the smallest of cruisers, but this never comes across in the boating media (or i've missed it).

Mind you I noted with interest that in his thread Roger specifically stated "narrowboat" thus while wondering where the other half where, was himself guilty of the same bias.

not sure where i'm going with this.

sod it, i'll shut up

Edited by fuzzyduck

Surely with the price of narrowboats being what it is, combined with the price of licence and mooring narrowboating for people who do not inherit a boat is for

1) Liveaboards

2) The pretty well off who would like a boat

3) People with ordinary jobs who really really really want a boat.

This surely explains a lot of the demographics?

Or am I totally wrong...!

(just realised this ignores boat sharers, who in thi sselfish day and age probably come under category 3 for being willing to share!)

Edited by gringogordo

I do agree here.

I think the future of boating if the prices keep increasing will remain with Liveaboard communities and the wealthy. This is a real sad state of affairs but unlike now where there are not enough moorings if they keep putting the prices up it will result in there being TOO MANY moorings because people can no longer afford to keep their boat.

Hi all,

I am constantly amazed (not to mention slightly peeved !!) when the powers of Westminister etc use that wonderful phrase "Average Salary" and then go on to say that it is £25k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never earned anything like that sort of money - and no one - ABSOLUTELY no one that I know comes even close !!! :P

Edit - typo

Edited by Nige

Surely with the price of narrowboats being what it is, combined with the price of licence and mooring narrowboating for people who do not inherit a boat is for

1) Liveaboards

(just realised this ignores boat sharers, who in thi sselfish day and age probably come under category 3 for being willing to share!)

Or, like me, buy a small fibre glass boat off of ebay for 1300 quid, work on it and sell it for a bit more, then a cheap scruffy narrowboat, work on it etc. etc.

Currently doing up a 55' narrowboat that was given to me as the work required is extensive, using the funds from the sale of last boat to finance it.

Takes all your spare time, I mean all of it. A bloody lot of hard work and heart ache, but by the summer of this year it'll all be worth it :P

Ehhh as someone working in tv, I can tell you that most people on the credit list of a tv programme do NOT earn 100 grand plus. I've been slaving away at this for years, often working 6 day weeks at least 12 hours a day, and I am seriously skint. No pension and no benifits. Only very few people make the money. Most of us just work hard like people in other industries. And the cleaners at the BBC don't have to have a university degree.

But anyway. as the proud owner of a rotten old GRP cruiser that cost me far less than a narrow boat would, I say Cruisers are the way forward. Hooray for cruisers!

Hi all,

I am constantly amazed (not to mention slightly peeved !!) when the powers of Westminister etc use that wonderful phrase "Average Salary" and then go on to say that it is £25k !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never earned anything like that sort of money - and no one - ABSOLUTELY no one that I know comes even close !!! :P

Edit - typo

Im guessing 25k would be low for london, but high up north.

25k is pretty average in my neck of the woods.

Averaging all over the country i wouldnt be surprised if 25k was close.

you have to take into account footballers, actors etc who are on millions. for every 1 footballer on 25k a week, would equal 50 people on 25k a year.

Edited by kawaton

Just remember this includes pension funds etc. I never had one as I, but today I think most do.

Most of my friends who were earing around £1300 (with overtime etc.) when I was on just less than £10,00 manual factory worker, are now on £20,000 if not more.

My £4000 total gross annual income leaves me a little behind :P

I know this is a long time ago, but a friend who went to Oxford had a job on TOTP in the 70s. Only a background job, research or so, however he earnt my annual pay in two months.

My £4000 total gross annual income leaves me a little behind

As the minimum wage equates to about £10,000 p.a. , I presume you choose to only work part-time.

Does your £4,000 exclude income support?

1) Liveaboards

This is my point, the TV would like everyone to believe that you have to be rich to own a boat. My last boat cost me £100, plus about £150 to replace some of the wood interior, as it was only 16 foot long it cost £52 per year to insure, and was in the bottom bracket for licence, about £270 odd, £27 per month. My mooring is still £100 per year plus BW's mooring permit at (for the old boat) about £120. Engine service at about £100 per year, it cost about £600-650 per year to run plus petrol which at 12mpg wasn't too bad. It was GRP so running maintenance of the hull and top was zero, and had had a new canopy about two years before I bought her.

People smoke cigarettes (which I don't) and spend more than this.

I used her for four years, including fortnights away on holiday for me, my wife, and my little boy, and I sold her for about £350 (plus the engine which I had before, and was also worth £350).

We now have a 25 foot boat which costs about double to run but gives us a lot more room and more storage than we could ever need (we have a number of empty lockers, even with a fortnight's food on board, that's Dawncrafts for you!! :lol: ), but it by no means costs either the earth to buy or run.

Even in this day and age, if you keep it small, you keep it cheap, but the TV and press NEVER mention this way in, they keep it big and expensive.

I work in electrical retail which is feeling the pinch. Two years ago I would have been earning about £14000 per year (pro rata - I only work part time due to childcare sharing with my wife), but now the commision has been reduced to the stage where I barely make the minimum wage even with the commision. this is the only way I could own a boat, even if I inherited a narrow boat, I'd never afford to run one, but with cruisers, things are cheap.

This is the point I want to get across to the TV. perhaps, Pat, you could let them know??

£25000 is a middle management salary round here !! Myself and my wife earn much much less than that put together, and we still have some childcare costs!! It IS still possible, though.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Take the sort of person who smokes 20 a day. Thats £35 a week. He probably goes down the pub friday & saturday, that's another £20. You always smoke more in the pub, so another £5.

That's £3,000 a year. Just on fags and a couple of moderate nights in the pub.

Now I would think that is more than enough to fund a boat, and quite a decent one at that.

Look around you at the sort of people who smoke 20 a day. No doubt some of them will say they couldn't possible afford a narrowboat.

People will always find money for the things that they want, if they want them enough.

People will always find money for the things that they want, if they want them enough.

As a skilled technician I have never earned 25k either, but I own my own home and boat both outright, how? Because I took the decision many years ago to not have children. Most people would consider that a very bad swap, but I have no regrets about it whatever, though you wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting a vasectomy.

As the minimum wage equates to about £10,000 p.a. , I presume you choose to only work part-time.

Does your £4,000 exclude income support?

Health problems prevent me from working (really) I only get Income Capacity at the lowest level, with a small Income Support top up.

If you know anyone who WILL employ me, please get in touch. I can talk on the telephone from home for a few hours a day, which I'd be glad to do for £300 a week. Or a job where I can stay at home when necessary. This can be anything from a few hours, to a few months. I've had 15 years of experience to discover this.

I'm partly to blame for my predicament, because I appear fit, and was too truthful at first. Corrupt people have developed a corrupt system for corrupt people. I'm not one of them, so don't fit in........however at the end of the day, I am right, and that is what is important to me. Sounds daft, but I need almost half a million now to change my lifestyle with the security I need.

Anyway, I'd rather not talk about this on here if you don't mind, as the net is my escape from 'the real world'.

As a skilled technician I have never earned 25k either, but I own my own home and boat both outright, how? Because I took the decision many years ago to not have children. Most people would consider that a very bad swap, but I have no regrets about it whatever, though you wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting a vasectomy.

:lol:

Oh yes I would, after we decided to stop at one, it was difficult enough.

I work part-time now but also do 3 hrs/week accounts/invoices etc for a business consultant who, I notice, can earn more in one day than I do in a month of my teaching job. :lol: I don't really care - it's like monopoly money - but I do find it quite amazing!

S'funny, mine was an absolute doddle @ Marie Stopes £113 all in, gone up a bit since then mind :)

http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/uk/vasectomy-at-msi.htm

i would have to rot in hell for such sins,lapsed catholic with seven kids,ex protestant wife and serious health problems through being seriously overworked by capitalist factory owners,finfers worked to the bone and only boney fingers to show for it. :D now where to go this week on the boat. :lol:

S'funny, mine was an absolute doddle @ Marie Stopes £113 all in, gone up a bit since then mind :lol:

http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/uk/vasectomy-at-msi.htm

At that price it's a snip!

This is absolutely true: when I had mine there was an old guy who had just married his 21 year old secretary. He ran out of the theatre into the waiting room and started dressing really fast. The nurse told him he should take a rest and he replied "No thanks, I'm on my pushbike and I've got to get home before the anaesthetic wears off"

I hope the doctor didn't laugh as much as we all did - or if he did, that he didn't have a knife in his hand at the time!