BW - an "asset" to be sold off ?

Guest User

Featured Posts

I did a double-take on listening to the C4 News this evening .... the government is apparently considering selling off public assets to help balance the books ... and according to the reporter this could include British Waterways ... so does this mean that BW (including it's desirable property portfolio) is liable to be sold off to private buyers ? .. What happened to conversion to a trust idea ?

Hmm, who would want to buy the canals?

An asset stripper, that's who.

It happened with bus companies among others in the late 80's. Buy the bus company, stop running services, redevelop the bus station and the depot

Some councillors in Aberdare went to prison for facilitating such a move (Fact, so please don't report to mods)

An asset stripper, that's who.

It happened with bus companies among others in the late 80's. Buy the bus company, stop running services, redevelop the bus station and the depot

Some councillors in Aberdare went to prison for facilitating such a move (Fact, so please don't report to mods)

Stagecoach!!!! Bloody Brian Souter and his sister

Depends on what you do with it. The land and property is worth a fortune. The canals filled in would make prime building land.

Sue

Although you'd have to spend a lot on fulfilling the land drainage requirements first

Richard

Depends on what you do with it. The land and property is worth a fortune. The canals filled in would make prime building land.

Sue

As long as you can rent me some hard standing I'm in. I've an acronym for you... NALO!

There will be much underhand dealing, plenty of backhanders. Bribery and blackmailing will be rife.

The result will be a relative or friend of an MP buys it at a knockdown price with planning permission already agreed (on the promise of backhanders and other benfits) upon.

Or perhaps I'm jusy cynical. Perhaps, but I know I'm right.

I have visions of the the buyer(s) then selling off the existing properties for development and then various little parcels of canal being sold off for new "waterside" housing, with the now defunct canals degenerating into long decorative ponds ... the unwanted bits of canals being allowed to infill by neglect .... I hope it doesn't come to that ... I'd rather see the EA or the NT taking on BW's mantle.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/cutscheck-selling-off-the-family-silver/4281

Isn't this just a re-hash of govt. policy dressed up as something radical and new

- surely it's long been decided BW should be separated from public ownership...

Possibly - but it is very scary - as boat owners and canal enthusiasts we are an incredibly small minority. Nevertheless, the Inland Waterways have been saved from closure before so let us hope we can save them again . . .

Hmm, who would want to buy the canals?

I think if you look at the shiny glass blocks going up alongide them you would see lots of people will happily have B.W.s property profile.

I want to post a file on here but can't workout how. Doesn't seem to be an option, so can I point you to a forum where it was an option as a quick way of showing it?

http://www.justcanals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6663

In the 3rd post.

Came across this too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/24_09_10_bbcnewsquangos3.pdf

Edited by Monkeybox

Possibly - but it is very scary - as boat owners and canal enthusiasts we are an incredibly small minority. Nevertheless, the Inland Waterways have been saved from closure before so let us hope we can save them again . . .

Never in the field of human conflict...

Would it be possible to run HS2 from London to Birmingham via the filled in GU thus making use of existing transport corridors?

Well if you have looked at a map of the GU as it meanders for all those excess miles around the North of Milton Keynes, it's hardly an ideal route for a high speed rail link!

You might also need to ease the bends in the Marsworth flight more than a bit, let alone those 90 degree ones in Cassiobury Park.

I think if you look at the shiny glass blocks going up alongide them you would see lots of people will happily have B.W.s property profile.

I want to post a file on here but can't workout how. Doesn't seem to be an option, so can I point you to a forum where it was an option as a quick way of showing it?

http://www.justcanals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6663

In the 3rd post.

Re: British Waterways - latest

This is how it will look...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I attended one of the BW South East User group meetings this week and the plans and progress toward a 'Civil Society' were outlined. It could happen very soon.

Indeed but how will this lead to closure of the waterways...

You need to read the channel 4 news item quite carefully. The quote from the Government is that there is to be a committee to look into asset sales. The inclusion of BWB in the list of assets owned by the Government is only an example of assets owned by the Government and the choice of assets included is Channel 4's . The list is not part of the quote from the Government.

You can read the news item here

Cheers Graham

Well if you have looked at a map of the GU as it meanders for all those excess miles around the North of Milton Keynes, it's hardly an ideal route for a high speed rail link!

You might also need to ease the bends in the Marsworth flight more than a bit, let alone those 90 degree ones in Cassiobury Park.

I must declare an interest here as the current proposed route goes through my living room. I would suggest that if speeds were reduced slightly to 4mph there would not be a problem following a filled in GU route.

Would it be possible to run HS2 from London to Birmingham via the filled in GU thus making use of existing transport corridors?

Dr Richard Beeching would soon be back close the line. Governments are keen on the cost-saving elements rather than those requiring investment. More than 4,000 miles of railway and 3,000 stations closed in the decade following the Beeching axe falling.

M and M

Sorry.

I didn't realise it only shows files to people who register. How do I upload a Power point presentation slide file please? Do you know?

I don't think filling it in is quite the idea.

Where I am there are a lot of new developments on ex wharfs and a lot less places for boats to moor. The canal is pretty and a feature to a developer but coal chimnies are a differnt thing.

radical idea but maybe someone should utilise the inland waterways for transporting non perishable freight. Must be some revenue in that idea somewhere :rolleyes:

Now there's a thought :D

Edited by Monkeybox