Winter Moorings Website

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

Ah, yes you appear to be correct. I think in reality BW will take a dim view on this. Would you let them know, because they keep a register of sightings along with a comment if overstayed. I did a FOI reqest and was suprised how often I was logged (not for overstaying though)

Have a look at seend

And in order Semmington (pub), Hilperton (lots of services and chavs, oh and airsprung matress factory), Bradford On Avon (everything), Avoncliff(pub, train station, and shallow sloping moorings), Dundas (petrol station, cafe), Claverton (nothing there), Bathampton (pub and village shop).

Have a look at seend

Thanks for that looks ideal not much space so will have to see if any is available in January

Ah, yes you appear to be correct. I think in reality BW will take a dim view on this. Would you let them know, because they keep a register of sightings along with a comment if overstayed. I did a FOI reqest and was suprised how often I was logged (not for overstaying though)

I am happy to be logged as it shows I am a genuine CCer I will just have to wait and see what they have come January not going to worry now. I am off on 6 Jan for 3 months so will just have leave boat where I am if no vacancies seems I have no choice!!

And in order Semmington (pub), Hilperton (lots of services and chavs, oh and airsprung matress factory), Bradford On Avon (everything), Avoncliff(pub, train station, and shallow sloping moorings), Dundas (petrol station, cafe), Claverton (nothing there), Bathampton (pub and village shop).

Oh I don't need any services as I am off to South America for 3 months so happy just to leave it in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for that looks ideal not much space so will have to see if any is available in January

I am happy to be logged as it shows I am a genuine CCer I will just have to wait and see what they have come January not going to worry now. I am off on 6 Jan for 3 months so will just have leave boat where I am if no vacancies seems I have no choice!!

Oh I don't need any services as I am off to South America for 3 months so happy just to leave it in the middle of nowhere.

Well, I hope that you have fun. If you do not get a winter mooring then you have another option. You are allowed to stay "14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances". I would think that leaving the country for 3 months would make moving the boat unreasonable.

Tim

I'd like to see them sell some round here, all the places they have are currently filled with boats.

Well that is the problem because if someone is on the winter mooring you have paid for BW can not move them until they have served a section 21 (That takes 2 months) they then have to follow that with a section 8 (That can take up to 6 months depending on the courts) and in the mean time they have no legal right to move the offending boat. If the boat moved after the 2 months it takes to serve the Section 21 then nothing BW can do.

Well, I hope that you have fun. If you do not get a winter mooring then you have another option. You are allowed to stay "14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances". I would think that leaving the country for 3 months would make moving the boat unreasonable.

Tim

Yes....I do have a plan B as I cruise with another boat and he is not taking winter moorings so he can move my boat every 14 days.

have had a good look at the site at the moment and this does seem a case of BW breaking something that was not broken. I know that technology is the way forward but here we have a case where BW have gone on line only listing limited moorings all seem to be visitor moorings and completely disregarding the remaining 2,000 miles Between Bath and devises there are 15 miles of canal but looks like only about 20 - 25 winter mooring spaces. In the old days (last year) you could take winter moorings more or less anywhere on the system and not have to use visitor moorings.

I have just had a look for moorings around Weedon on the GU. They are advertising one at Stowe Hill near a water point for £8.92 / metre / month.

This works out at about £489 per quarter. for a 60 foot boat, depending how you convert from feet to metres.

This price is daylight robbery. I only pay slightly more for that for a marina mooring, with a waterpoint 4 feet away, with electric point, rubbish disposal and a pumpout at the Marina entrance, in the same sort of area.

Do they think we are all made of money and careless with it?

Can anybody justify such an extortionate price?

I have just emailed BW to ask them to try to justify it.

Can you tell I am incensed? (I had to use incense, otherwise the smell is too high)

K

Edited to correct per month to per quarter

Edited by jelunga

I have just had a look for moorings around Weedon on the GU. They are advertising one at Stowe Hill near a water point for £8.92 / metre / month.

This works out at about £489 p.m. for a 60 foot boat, depending how you convert from feet to metres.

This price is daylight robbery. I only pay slightly more for that for a marina mooring, with a waterpoint 4 feet away, with electric point, rubbish disposal and a pumpout at the Marina entrance, in the same sort of area.

Do they think we are all made of money and careless with it?

Can anybody justify such an extortionate price?

I have just emailed BW to ask them to try to justify it.

Can you tell I am incensed? (I had to use incense, otherwise the smell is too high)

K

i make that about £170 a month still a rip off but cheaper than K&A so wonder how they work that out GU cheaper than K&A

i make that about £170 a month still a rip off but cheaper than K&A so wonder how they work that out GU cheaper than K&A

Location location location. Coupled with supply and demand. And what they think they can get away with .

See my edit of my first post. Said per month instead of per quarter. Sorry:blush: :blush:

Edited by jelunga

Two observations

On our Sunday afternoon battery charging runs, the moorings above Hatton top lock have many less boats than when we first arrived in 2003.

We have to slow down to pass many more moored up empty boats than we ever used to.

People are already voting with their feet propellers

Richard

My winter moorings are booked and i got a great price.......NOWT. It`ll be here and there and a bit further than that.

I prefer to move about in winter and i don`t mean bridge hop.

I know we all have different views on living aboard and i respect peoples decision to moor up for winter but am curious to know why they decide to stay in the same place and pay for it. My personal view is to cruise and as you all know there are some lovely bright days during winter plus no waiting at locks.

Not knocking anyone just interested to here some members thoughts on winter mooring.

How hard can it be to copy some HTML files around, surely they had the thing prepared offline and could have just "turned it on"....sheesh.

Not at all hard if it were just HTML files being moved around. Unfortunately, it's more than that.

BTW, I'll look into the K&A depth record as well, I've been supplied the data on a spreadsheet, so I'll check it against that. :)

Cheers,

PaulM

Well you could moor a very deep boat here

Top Lock Bath : Kennet & Avon Canal

Availability and Pricing

Metres Available: 86.00

Price per Metre: £12.04

Berth Width: 2.20 metres (7.22 ft)

Berth Average Depth: 8.00 metres (26.25 ft)

I am sure it is not that deep there, is it?

Hi Tim,

Dbl checked it in the spreadsheet and it does say 8. I'll check with the relevant ppl and get it corrected. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:

The record has now been changed to 0.8, so 2.62 ft in real money.

Paulm

Edited by paulmorgan

have had a good look at the site at the moment and this does seem a case of BW breaking something that was not broken. I know that technology is the way forward but here we have a case where BW have gone on line only listing limited moorings all seem to be visitor moorings and completely disregarding the remaining 2,000 miles

Most of the ones local to me are not VM, well at least the pictures are not of VMs, I haven't bothered to check the lat and long. Must be a K&A thing.

Booked mine now and theres 10% off for a one-off payment. Can't recall seeing that on the blurb.

Hi,

The prompt payment is on the page where you check for availability, the conformation page and in the mooring contract pdf that you download in the 'My Profile -> My Vacancies' area.

hth,

Paulm

Well there is apparently 3.76 metres available at the popular Camden location.

Linky

Anyone need winter moorings for their dinghy ?

Yes, a customer bought two spaces and then defaulted. I added the space back on and then another person went and allocated it. It might be worth checking back to popular places to see if people have defaulted on one space for another location.

You could also try calling the local mooring officer as they _might_ be able to squeeze out some more space at certain locations.

hth,

paulm

Well there is apparently 3.76 metres available at the popular Camden lock

That's all thats left Alan as the boats that are permanently moored there (one dodgy pale blue wide beam and a couple of others) have obviously taken their winter moorings early :wacko:

Well there is apparently 3.76 metres available at the popular Camden location Anyone need winter moorings for their dinghy ?

That's nowt but complete luxury. You could get the dinghy on it edge here!

Eastwood Lock : Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation

Availability and Pricing

Metres Available: 0.80

Price per Metre: £9.42

Berth Width: 4.00 metres (13.12 ft)

Berth Average Depth: 1.00 metres (3.28 ft)

Mick & Mags

Attn: Paul Morgan,

Can you please tell me why maximum beam dimensions are always 3.70 metres or less (on all the ones I have seen). Canals like the Grand Union have many broad beam boats which are denied a winter mooring because of these totally arbitrary restrictions.

I say totally arbitrary because I have moored my 3.90 meter boat at many of the places, and there is plenty of room. The GU is actually a broad canal, or has that escaped BW's notice?

Thanks, incidentally, for coming on here and answering questions.

And why do you state average depth? The only meaningful measure is minimum depth. A berth with 5 metres at one end and 0 at t'other has an average depth of 2.5 metres. But it won't float a boat with a draught of 1 meter.

Attn: Paul Morgan,

Can you please tell me why maximum beam dimensions are always 3.70 metres or less (on all the ones I have seen). Canals like the Grand Union have many broad beam boats which are denied a winter mooring because of these totally arbitrary restrictions.

I say totally arbitrary because I have moored my 3.90 meter boat at many of the places, and there is plenty of room. The GU is actually a broad canal, or has that escaped BW's notice?

Thanks, incidentally, for coming on here and answering questions.

And why do you state average depth? The only meaningful measure is minimum depth. A berth with 5 metres at one end and 0 at t'other has an average depth of 2.5 metres. But it won't float a boat with a draught of 1 meter.

Attn: sebrof

Sorry, I cannot tell you why max beam dimensions are always 3.70 metres or less. I deal with the technical (web) side of things. I would suggest that you contact Kim.Dale@britishwaterways.co.uk who is the National Moorings Manager and would be able to supply you with the answers that you seek.

WRT average depth, I take your point on that. Again, I didn't define that label. It might well be that the value in the spreadsheet is really the min depth in most cases. I will investigate with the relevant person(s) tomorrow and let you know. We may change the label to Min depth if that is the case. My *guess* is that it might actually be that it's some legalistic type of phrase .i.e. on average the depth at this mooring is X, but if it is lower for whatever reason then we (BW) have done our duty to make you aware of that using the word 'average'. As I said IANAL, but realistically I do not think it would be a good use of M/Officer's time if they constantly went measuring the depth along the whole of the space offered. If you did that, you then get into debates how often you should measure, what you measure with etc... in all cases I think it's a case of caveat emptor / let the buyer beware. From my (basic) experience, pretty much all of the people after winter moorings know the area where they are looking to moor and have been there before, or they can quickly find out by asking.. on places like here for example.

And thanks for asking the questions and providing feedback to all in the thread.

It would be really, really good if we could get feedback (negative / positive) for improving the system as soon as possible and for next year. It can be sent either via the site in the feedback form, or to the: mooring.vacancies@britishwaterways.co.uk address.

hth,

Paulm

Notwithstanding that BW say you should not moor wide-beams on line north of Berkhamsted! :lol:

I was talking about a line South of Watford.

Attn: sebrof

Sorry, I cannot tell you why max beam dimensions are always 3.70 metres or less. I deal with the technical (web) side of things. I would suggest that you contact Kim.Dale@britishwaterways.co.uk who is the National Moorings Manager and would be able to supply you with the answers that you seek.

WRT average depth, I take your point on that. Again, I didn't define that label. It might well be that the value in the spreadsheet is really the min depth in most cases. I will investigate with the relevant person(s) tomorrow and let you know. We may change the label to Min depth if that is the case. My *guess* is that it might actually be that it's some legalistic type of phrase .i.e. on average the depth at this mooring is X, but if it is lower for whatever reason then we (BW) have done our duty to make you aware of that using the word 'average'. As I said IANAL, but realistically I do not think it would be a good use of M/Officer's time if they constantly went measuring the depth along the whole of the space offered. If you did that, you then get into debates how often you should measure, what you measure with etc... in all cases I think it's a case of caveat emptor / let the buyer beware. From my (basic) experience, pretty much all of the people after winter moorings know the area where they are looking to moor and have been there before, or they can quickly find out by asking.. on places like here for example.

And thanks for asking the questions and providing feedback to all in the thread.

It would be really, really good if we could get feedback (negative / positive) for improving the system as soon as possible and for next year. It can be sent either via the site in the feedback form, or to the: mooring.vacancies@britishwaterways.co.uk address.

hth,

Paulm

Thanks for your reply. I have already made feedback via the form, and suggested the use of an interactive map in future. I'll drop Mr/Ms Dale a line.

I was talking about a line South of Watford.

Thanks for your reply. I have already made feedback via the form, and suggested the use of an interactive map in future. I'll drop Mr/Ms Dale a line.

sebrof.

I've already suggested the map, should be easy to do. Just need to get some time to fit it in amongst all the other tasks. Makes sense really. I'd look to retrofit it into the auctions as well and replace the convoluted process of just putting a map image up.

It's Ms Dale I think ;)

hth,

Paulm

Well there is apparently 3.76 metres available at the popular Camden lock

That's all thats left Alan as the boats that are permanently moored there (one dodgy pale blue wide beam and a couple of others) have obviously taken their winter moorings early :wacko:

The 'dodgy pale blue widebeam' is the site wardens boat - he is permanently moored there, who d'ya think locks and unlocks the towpath gates everyday?

sebrof.

I've already suggested the map, should be easy to do. Just need to get some time to fit it in amongst all the other tasks. Makes sense really. I'd look to retrofit it into the auctions as well and replace the convoluted process of just putting a map image up.

It's Ms Dale I think ;)

hth,

Paulm

Thanks again, Paul. BTW, if BW can't state a minimum depth, there is no point in stating anything.

Ive just looked at the ones on the towpath opposite my mooring - same price as what Im paying for a fully serviced berth with large garden and secure parking!

Suppose we wont have any neighbours this winter, then. Shame coz we really enjoy meeting the boaters who moor opposite. Guess they'll all be down filterbeds way :(