Advice please re web space - OT

haggis

Featured Posts

This is probably in the wrong "bit" of CWF - could the mods please move it if it is?

We have been with BT Internet for donkeys years and I have 2 web sites sitting in their web space. We decided to move to Orange where, despite reassurances we find that they don't support free web space for their customers. Even if we pay Orange more, we get very little wab space. When I spoke to BT Internet to find out if we could keep the web space (we are keeping the email addresses) they said that they didn't host web space !! and when we got over that hurdle they assured me that my web space would remain. That was last week. This week they seem to have pulled the plug :-(.

I am a bit out of touch with web space providers and i wonder if anyone can recommend an advert free web space provider. Not necessarily looking for a free one. It is more important that it is reliable.

Thanks, haggis.

This is probably in the wrong "bit" of CWF - could the mods please move it if it is?

We have been with BT Internet for donkeys years and I have 2 web sites sitting in their web space. We decided to move to Orange where, despite reassurances we find that they don't support free web space for their customers. Even if we pay Orange more, we get very little wab space. When I spoke to BT Internet to find out if we could keep the web space (we are keeping the email addresses) they said that they didn't host web space !! and when we got over that hurdle they assured me that my web space would remain. That was last week. This week they seem to have pulled the plug :-(.

I am a bit out of touch with web space providers and i wonder if anyone can recommend an advert free web space provider. Not necessarily looking for a free one. It is more important that it is reliable.

Thanks, haggis.

More and more isp's are pulling free webspace, if you want any space you can rely on, you will have to pay. Some peope say Fasthosts are OK...I would not know, as the rather cumbersome TNC site is hosted through a mate....and even then it is not cheap.

My webhost is 4UH hosting and they've been super duper in that I've never had any problems. After uploading stuff with gay abandon for 4 years I'm still no where near my 50Gb limit, you get two free mysql databases and as many email addresses as you can keep track of. Costs me just over £30 a year, so as foolish hobbies go, it's one of the less expensive.

Thanks, haggis.

I've used Demon in my business for ten years with no problems. I can't remember what it costs.

Link

If you change provider and therefore URL you will lose your position on the search engines for a long time.

I have used VARiHOST for a few years now they host Alacrity's blog and another site for me.

Varihost has the best customer service I have found anywhere.

I emailed a question to Richard at Varihost one Sunday night at about 9 pm and had an answer by 10 pm.

It's worth sending Richard an email.

John

Thanks, haggis.

I use Clara for www.harnser.info and I use to use Compila for the IWA branch site

In the past we used 123reg for our websites, but around a year ago moved to a friend of liams on his recommendations. If he had been providing space at the time i would have gone with him.

Canalworld is hosted at UKwebSolutions but there packages are probably larger than you require.

Daniel