Well Known Hull manufacturers

DandV

Featured Posts

As I have said earlier we are looking at purchasing a 2plus 2 berth narrowboat in a couple of years time for two or perhaps three years of six months cruising, six months away six months cruising etc .

Current indications is that a purchase budget of 35000-45000GBP should give a sensible reliable "clonecraft" 5 to 10 years old 45 to 60ft long.

This is a bit cheeky but it would be helpful to us if forum members could rate well known hull manufacturers as motor car equivalents say Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW and Mercedes.

Liverpool Boats = Ford equivalent?

Cheers Don & Val

As I have said earlier we are looking at purchasing a 2plus 2 berth narrowboat in a couple of years time for two or perhaps three years of six months cruising, six months away six months cruising etc .

Current indications is that a purchase budget of 35000-45000GBP should give a sensible reliable "clonecraft" 5 to 10 years old 45 to 60ft long.

This is a bit cheeky but it would be helpful to us if forum members could rate well known hull manufacturers as motor car equivalents say Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW and Mercedes.

Liverpool Boats = Ford equivalent?

Cheers Don & Val

Steve Hudson are definitely the "Rolls-Royce" of narrowboats. ;)

I think its a little unfair to compare against cars as there really isn't a bad car out there and there are too many varibles, and each is priced accordingly, and some have a prestige price attachment which is not deservedly representative of the whole manufacture model range.

Why not just keep it simple on an out of 10 rating. Or to keep it really real Shite to Excelent?

Biggles

I think its a little unfair to compare against cars as there really isn't a bad car out there

Biggles

get real biggles, there are some right crates out there on the roads!! don't even get me started on the subject!! :angry:

OP when i read the title i thought Hull as in the place!! and all i could think of was how carp Ideal Boilers are LOL

Edited by hamsterfan

I think its a little unfair to compare against cars as there really isn't a bad car out there and there are too many varibles, and each is priced accordingly, and some have a prestige price attachment which is not deservedly representative of the whole manufacture model range.

Why not just keep it simple on an out of 10 rating. Or to keep it really real Shite to Excelent?

Biggles

Perhaps we should be comparing NB Hull manufacturers with car manufacturers in the 1970's?

get real biggles, there are some right crates out there on the roads!! don't even get me started on the subject!! :angry:

Rubbish! They all meet EU standards so they can be that bad. Admitted there are some you wouldn't want, but they all do what they need to which is convey you in safety subject to your driving and other idiots on the road of course.

Biggles

I have likened Reeves to being the "Volvo" of the boat shell building world. Solidly constructed with good safety features but lacking the fine lines and detailing of some of the names mentioned above.

volvo-sc90-concept-6-lg.jpg

Volvo SC-90 concept

Richard

A lot has been written about what different forum-members think about different boatbuilders, you'll be able to find out more by typing "boatbuilders" in the search bar.

Peter.

Took your advice Typed "Boatbuilders" in the search bar - The Result? One Post Your One!

Taking volume produced hulls less then ten years old and volume produced cars less then ten years old surely both are produced to recognized standards but on some meeting price points is at the expense of better detailing, better features and finishes. This becomes significantly more important the longer you intend to own the boat.

The quality of the functional fittout, protective coatings, electrics, plumbing etc is yet another matter not readily visible but important to the functionality and reliability.

It is our intention to visit England at least once before arriving to purchase our boat and set off, so we would devote some of this time viewing boats and focusing our requirements but with 1200 narrowboats listed on Apollo Duck

setting prescreening criteria is a requirement.

Cheers Don

Cheers

This argument has cropped up before. Personally I don't think you should try and compare boats with cars for the simple reason all car manufacturers - prestige or mass market - have all produced dogs somewhere along the line. If you still want to follow the car/boat comparison, buy on condition and not by the badge. ;)

At the end of the day whether the boat is an off-the-peg model or bespoke, they are all basically a steel tube, the only diffrence being how many fancy bits are welded on. Horses for courses really.

Took your advice Typed "Boatbuilders" in the search bar - The Result? One Post Your One!

Cheers

I haven't quite sussed it out yet but sometimes when I do a search it only looks at the new forum.

there are several years of archives tucked away. keep trying!

volvo-sc90-concept-6-lg.jpg

what did they do, take a Nissan and put a Volvovovovovovo badge on it?

Volvos look better with six axles anyway, which is where my kids invented the multi syllable name for them.

Boats cannot really be compared to cars because unlike modern cars boats are usually individually built to incorporate the customer's personal and individual requirements. If a narrow boat builder produces even two or three that are exactly identical, that is about as near as you will ever get to design that has evolved for mass production.

The best way to chose a boat is to spend a lot of time at canal centres like Braunston looking at different boats and talking to their owners. First time buyers would also be well advised to purchase a used boat from a reputable broker such as Rugby Boat Sales or ABNB (there are others) because making a mistake when specifying a new build is a very easy way of losing a lot money.

Taking volume produced hulls less then ten years old and volume produced cars less then ten years old surely both are produced to recognized standards but on some meeting price points is at the expense of better detailing, better features and finishes. This becomes significantly more important the longer you intend to own the boat.

The quality of the functional fittout, protective coatings, electrics, plumbing etc is yet another matter not readily visible but important to the functionality and reliability.

It is our intention to visit England at least once before arriving to purchase our boat and set off, so we would devote some of this time viewing boats and focusing our requirements but with 1200 narrowboats listed on Apollo Duck

Cheers Don

Hello. I think you have to set the search box to "this forum" Regards Steve P

Cheers

Cheers Don

Hi Don,

I'm terribly sorry, in my rush to give you some (maybe) useful information I typed an S too many, just ask for "boatbuilder" and you will get a lot more then just my 1 answer.

Good luck,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

I have to admit that to try and narrow down the choices available when you can only search on the net and have little or no opportunity to look at a boat and think "that is what I am looking for" without the opportunity to ask the owner who the builder is (or look for a name on the hull)

It is also worth pointing out that there are some very good quality boats built by boatbuilders who maybe only ever produce one a year (if they get the time!) Their names as boat builders are unlikely to feature as a sub category on a brokerage site because the few boats these people build rarely change hands either.

Our boat is a Pinder - I think I might liken it to a modern Volvo - it is very solidly built with attention to quality and yet there are no frills. As a clone weekend/ holiday boat it does everything we could possibly want or need and is very comfortable.

It is however not quite what we want long term and when the time comes that we can do the 6 months on board and 6 months ashore we will probably be looking for a hot rod! Yes we want the trad look with the nice paintowrk and engine room with a trad engine going dunk dunk dunk but we also want it low maintenance and relaibility

Perhaps what we are looking for is the boating equivalent of a Morgan? (with or without washers)