A REAL CELEBRITY VISITS

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

:D

Apparently last week some guy called the Pope visited the uk ?

Well today our Tea room was visited by a REAL celebrity and a PROPER boater. Mrs Rose Skinner 86 years and she told me a tale or two about Real boating ( not what we all do ) in her days working with Jack and her childhood.

Now that is far more important to me than some old guy in a frock.............. :)

Sounds marvellous, but who was this "Jack", and did Joe know about him?

The currently surviving Mrs Rose Skinner, (nee Hone ?) was indeed married to Jack, (IIRC a nephew of Joe Skinner).

Mrs Rose Skinner, (nee Brummage ?), widow of Joe, died many moons ago.

If I could find a book, I could check that, and give dates, but I think both Joe and then Rose died perhaps around the 77 to 79 period, I'm not sure ?

The currently surviving Mrs Rose Skinner, (nee Hone ?) was indeed married to Jack, (IIRC a nephew of Joe Skinner).

Mrs Rose Skinner, (nee Brummage ?), widow of Joe, died many moons ago.

If I could find a book, I could check that, and give dates, but I think both Joe and then Rose died perhaps around the 77 to 79 period, I'm not sure ?

As a nearly ten year old I went through Sutton Stop in 1976, from what I recall (and what my father has told me since) Friendship was moored there, and Joe Skinner had died not long before. Rose cut a very lonely figure, although I remember her smiling at the sight of two Children (Me and my brother) working the lock

Even at that age, I knew who Rose Skinner was, my parents brainwashed me at an early age...

Yes, my dates are too late, and if I thought about it, I should have known.

Joe died April 1975, and Rose July 1976.

When I lived briefly near Coventry, I recall seeing Rose as a widow in the Greyhound after Joe's death, and all the spirit had gone from her, it seemed.

I was correct, the late Rose Skinner was born Rose Elizabeth Brummage, and the visitor the other day was born Rose Hone.

Jack Skinner was Joe Skinner's nephew, being the son of Joe's brother, also Jack Skinner.

All were born into existing boating families, I think.

When I was first involved with canals, I once had the privilege of meeting and chatting with Joe and Rose Skinner, and they really were about as charming a couple as one could have imagined - they seemed really lovely people, slightly overwhelmed by the attention that was by then starting to surround them, (although secretly, I suspect they came to rather enjoy it!...)

I only met them once, and for maybe no more than half an hour, but I'm very pleased to have done so - I don't have a lot of strong memories from back then, but that meeting is still high up my list.

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 1

Sounds marvellous, but who was this "Jack", and did Joe know about him?

:o

Jack and Rose Skinner where just as much old schhol working boatman as Joe and Rose Skinner. Jack and Rose more or less saved the Oxford canal from closure. Just Google Jack Skinner and you will probably find him on there.

:o

Jack and Rose Skinner where just as much old schhol working boatman as Joe and Rose Skinner. Jack and Rose more or less saved the Oxford canal from closure. Just Google Jack Skinner and you will probably find him on there.

Exactly here is a link to the Obit for Jack on the Guardian webiste that talks about his role in the saving of the Oxford canal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/jun/16/1

What a singular pleasure it must have been for you to meet Rose and speak with her.

Exactly here is a link to the Obit for Jack on the Guardian webiste that talks about his role in the saving of the Oxford canal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2008/jun/16/1

What a singular pleasure it must have been for you to meet Rose and speak with her.

It was a pleasure and she was interested when I told her my Father ( now 90 ) worked boats out and around Goole docks and large seagoing stuff a little later. He is mentioned in Goole at war with his brothers he started aged 14, not many of these old school people left now and its great to talk with them.

erh who or what is the "pope"

or is that a "pope" as in amaerican father or a group of youffs thta makes muzack?

:unsure::smiley_offtopic:

:cheers:

Errr not off topic realy........you are spot on " Who is the Pope ? " Something to do with a 2000 year old religion when people new no better I think ?.............

Indeed,

whilst i fully support any one to hold any beliefs they wish, I do question people and states that support

a "religion" that claims also to a state,,,

whilst Im no expert... they appear to base an adherence doctrine of a medieval mental verbal torture..

and suspect that they only stopped burning witches and other punishments as they were killing too many of the congregation!..

The pope/vatican showed their lack of divertity appreciation by describing heathrow as 3rd world...

and if another "state" didnt allow proper "health care guidance" eg condoms to africa etc then there would be questions re their human rights record..

still their press gets even better - now that their bank is being investigated by the italians,,,

erh how does that work,, ah yes they are in Italy...( a nice country)

And then they lecture the Uk on not having enough religion... seems to me that religion and the twats running them not seeing the others having a similar right and then squabbling are the root of most serious global issues... and as for claiming that 20% are catholics and that was a justification...for their state visist status...

Its the UK's great tradition of offering proper asilum, to the genuinely downtrodden and oppressed over the last 120 years..

Lets re-cap... how many actually attend weekly mass verses those that attend football or the pub...

statistics can say so much or so little..

apols - but my soap box is still in one bit!!

It was a pleasure and she was interested when I told her my Father ( now 90 ) worked boats out and around Goole docks and large seagoing stuff a little later. He is mentioned in Goole at war with his brothers he started aged 14, not many of these old school people left now and its great to talk with them.

I guess what most of us are waiting for, with bated breath, is whether she expressed a preference for cassette or pump-out ?