Propeller nut loosened

RLWP

Featured Posts

I'll put a 3" nail through and bend the end over if it will make you happy

Richard

Tetchy ;) just as long as we agree I ain't going down to fetch the prop from the bottom of the cut...

Edited by MJG

Tetchy ;)

I'd have gone for sarky myself, but after successfully drilling that hole before either the battery in my drill went flat, or the boat had to go back in the water, I'm actually feeling quite mellow and generous

The two bottles of Directors might be a factor in my mellowness

Richard

Aaaahhhh!!!! <belch>

Edited by RLWP

I'd have gone for sarky myself, but after successfully drilling that hole before either the battery in my drill went flat, or the boat had to go back in the water, I'm actually feeling quite mellow and generous

The two bottles of Directors might be a factor in my mellowness

Richard

Aaaahhhh!!!! <belch>

You'll be sorry in the morning..

Just checked out of curiosity, that Makita impact wrench has a max torque of around 200 lbft depending on the exact model.

Tim

I assume thats a dig at me....your entitled...OK

Look I dont care as long as peeps enjoy themselves..I've had 8 cans of something Export so you can say what you like about me at the mo..but I warn you I will re assess in the morning and be not quite so convivial....eh what did I say then...?

Edited by Evo

I'll put a 3" nail through and bend the end over if it will make you happy

Richard

Do make sure you bend the end well over.

With our luck we would quickly be brought to a stop, and would open the weed hatch to find a large baulk of timber now nailed to the prop!

Drydock010.jpg

I'm not letting you off the hook here....Holy shit..what an absolute bodge up...!!

Look at that nut...and washer!!!! Pipe wrenches are not designed for nuts.! and lengths of pipe with dumpy blokes jumping up and down are not torque wrenches...!

I'll run through a few issues shall I.....!!!

1) You didn't allow enough time to do the job and rushed it

2) You had an unknown problem with the prop comming loose but still re-used all the old bits.

3) You didn't arm yourself with the right tools...Ok you had a paint brush.!!!

4) you've probably over torqued it and could potentially fracture the prop hub. Remember your forcing a bronze casting up a steel taper.

5) You pratted about fitting heater plugs using up your dry dock time.

6) You came across another problem and totally ignored it.

You may get away with it and all will be well, but dont try and kid anyone you did a good job.

Edited by Evo

Drydock010.jpg

I'm not letting you off the hook here....Holy shit..what an absolute bodge up...!!

Look at that nut...and washer!!!! Pipe wrenches are not designed for nuts.! and lengths of pipe with dumpy blokes jumping up and down are not torque wrenches...!

2) You had an unknown problem with the prop comming loose but still re-used all the old bits.

4) you've probably over torqued it and could potentially fracture the prop hub. Remember your forcing a bronze casting up a steel taper.

You may get away with it and all will be well, but dont try and kid anyone you did a good job.

I have to say I applaud Richard for publishing those photographs - probably one of best pieces of Photoshop editing I have seen in a long time, absolutely guaranteed to fool people into thinking that is what he really did and provoke a reaction!

:cheers:

Thank you for your carefully considered opinions, and I'm pleased that you have taken the time to let me know them. I'm looking forward to reading some of your real life boating experiences in the future

Richard

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

Was it a phosphor bronze coat hanger?

Tony

Actually a very good way of securing prop nuts instead of a split pin, is a copper 'rivet' through the nut. Similar hole through nut and shaft, countersink both ends, piece of copper bar the same size rivetted through. Nothing to catch on weed, fishing lines etc., and no danger of it being pulled out.

Tim

Actually a very good way of securing prop nuts instead of a split pin, is a copper 'rivet' through the nut. Similar hole through nut and shaft, countersink both ends, piece of copper bar the same size rivetted through. Nothing to catch on weed, fishing lines etc., and no danger of it being pulled out.

Tim

I've often thought another solution would be to cover the nut and split pin with a 'spinner' like on an aeroplane prop, this would protect the nut and throw off any fishing line etc. It could be fixed on with a few small bolts around the periphery, In fact the split pin could be replaced with a straightforward plain pin as the spinner would keep it located, easier to take it out.

Drydock020-crop.jpg

Well, Tawny Owl's back home now after her trip for blacking. I managed to get a spilt pin (from a marine chandlers in Caernarvon - another long story) and I fitted them before we moved her back up the locks.

She's gained a pair of red circles in the front panels which Sue thinks gives her a cute face. Can't beat a touch of powder and warpaint.

Richard

[quote name=

Good news,looks great - both above and (I am sure) below the waterline.

Leo.

PS When I fitted a new prop and shaft to 'Keb' some years ago they were purchased from Uxbridge Boat Co - instructed to 'Tighten nut with a spanner (stilson will do), fit pipe/tube and stand on it to tighten it up, drill hole and insert split pin (supplied) through hole and dress down as necessary'.

Edited by LEO

Evo - are you as good at actually fixing boats as you (don't) appear to be as fixing pictures with Photoshop???

Drydock020-crop.jpg

Well, Tawny Owl's back home now after her trip for blacking. I managed to get a spilt pin (from a marine chandlers in Caernarvon - another long story) and I fitted them before we moved her back up the locks.

She's gained a pair of red circles in the front panels which Sue thinks gives her a cute face. Can't beat a touch of powder and warpaint.

Richard

Looks good Richard -