some first time advice, please!

fatpiemanpaul

Featured Posts

Hello all

We have booked a week in late October with Claymoor Narrowboats and this is on the Preston Brook. we have the Pearsons Canal Companion "Four Counties Ring" and the Collins " Four Counties and the Welsh Canals", and Lockmaster Map "Chester and the Llangollen Canal", also I have downloaded the "Boater's Handbook". We would be grateful for any advice or helpful tips that anyone could give us: in particular, moorings, and is possible for only 2 people to work the locks okay?

Also, any useful tips for anything we may need to bring from home, extra blankets or anthing you can think of?fatpieman

From two complete (apprehensive) beginners!

From Anne and fatpiemanpaul

Hello all

We have booked a week in late October with Claymoor Narrowboats and this is on the Preston Brook. we have the Pearsons Canal Companion "Four Counties Ring" and the Collins " Four Counties and the Welsh Canals", and Lockmaster Map "Chester and the Llangollen Canal", also I have downloaded the "Boater's Handbook". We would be grateful for any advice or helpful tips that anyone could give us: in particular, moorings, and is possible for only 2 people to work the locks okay?

Also, any useful tips for anything we may need to bring from home, extra blankets or anthing you can think of?fatpieman

From Anne and fatpiemanpaul

Where to begin?

I'm not familiar with that particular section of the system - but locking with 2 up is certainly possible...

Not sure about how much locking tuition you will get from that yard but I would try and find a day or so over the next few weeks to do a bit of gongoozling at a busy lock or two and watch what the boaters do - don't be afraid to ask questions - you might even be invited to open a gate or paddle or two, just to get a feel for it.

We have had fantastic weather boating in October but either check with your yard if they provide a set of helmsman's water proofs (most do), if they don't ensure you take a set of waterproof trousers and jacket - they don't actually cost that much if you have to buy.

Other general advice

- don't be over ambitious in terms of progress you will make - just take your time and enjoy it.

- Don't expect to take everything in at handover you are already doing some prep and that is a good idea too.

oh and welcome to the forum.

Others will be along too with some nuggets.

May be a bit short notice, but why not try and do an Inland Waterways Helmsmans Course before you go. I think it can be done in a day, and costs about £110 each for 1 day. Might seem like a lot of money, but it will get your holiday off to a flying start, and will stand you in good stead for the future.

We did ours in 2006 with Terry at:

http://www.trboathandling.com/cost.htm

I should stress that we did ours so that SWMBO could get used to boat handling in calm water, before heading of on a yacht trip from UK to Malta over a couple of years. Gave her a ton of confidence when she got behind the wheel of a 44ft yacht on the high seas :)

Since doing the course, I hadnt been on a narrow boat until a day trip from W. Bridge to Marple, last Sunday, and I remembered most of it, (no locks on the day trip, but a few lift & swing bridges).

Advice:

Slow down every thing is done at walking pace or slower, see you are located in Kingston upon Thames, it will seem as if you are going backwards, canal life is very slow.

Do not be over ambitious in the number of hours travelled each day, work on about 4 to 5, will give you plenty of time for sight seeing.

Locks with two people is 'easy' a lot of boaters are single handed and they cope well.

Pearson.'s will give you the location of recommended moorings, I do not know that area, sorry.

One big warning though......................................the boat bug will bite and the ownership of your own boat is looming on the horizon. :)

Welcome to the forum, some of us are a funny (peculiar) lot but you will get to know us.

Enjoy your time aboard and then tell us about it when you get back.

Four or five hours cruising a day?

Well, horses for courses I guess. We usually do between ten and twelve

Richard

You go for it Richard but this is their first trip and four to five hours will be enough especially if they wish to do a bit of sight seeing.

We always planned our holidays using four to five hours, then if there is a hold-up lock queue (I know doubtful in October) panic does not set in as to whether you will get back to base in time.

Now we live aboard it can be two hours maybe four, that may be pushing a bit though. :rolleyes:

You go for it Richard but this is their first trip and four to five hours will be enough especially if they wish to do a bit of sight seeing.

We always planned our holidays using four to five hours, then if there is a hold-up lock queue (I know doubtful in October) panic does not set in as to whether you will get back to base in time.

Now we live aboard it can be two hours maybe four, that may be pushing a bit though. :rolleyes:

Again, each to his own. We've always done about ten hours cruising a day. What more sightseeing do I want than the canals themselves and the surrounding scenery, boats, locks, wildlife...

And I'm not advocating that anyone should adopt our style, it's what suits us

Richard

Bottle opener, just in case the one on the boat has gone missing! Oh, and the tipple of your choice to open, at the end of a days cruising (however long you decide that should be)

Hi,

You have hired from a good boatyard and you will get instruction.As for what to take,I can only suggest warm clothes and waterproof clothes and footwear,if you don't need them it's a bonus,but if you haven't got them,you will need them.All the cutlery etc.will be on board,right down to the corkscrew/bottleopener.all bedding,including additional blankets are included.Do take enough food for a couple of days so you don't have to go looking for supermarkets till you are comfortable with the boat.

Whichever way you go from Preston Brook you can expect to be lock free for most of the first day at least,so that will give you time to get used to your boat.There is only the stop lock at Dutton after the tunnel.Going on the Bridgewater,you will be lock free all the way to Castlefields in Manchester without a lock and you could also get to Worsley without a lock.

I would go down the Trent & Mersey from Preston Brook,others would probably suggest the other way.I think that you get instruction thru the tunnel to the stop lock if you go that way.Middlewich is about 18 miles and 5 locks from Preston Brook,which is more than I would want to do most days,We would stop at Anderton Boat lift for a while anyway.Don't worry about the locks,two of you will do them comfortably if you take your time and think about what you are doing,others may appear to be doing everything faster,believe me they aren't.Take your time with everything and you will enjoy it and come back for more.

Google Canal Plan AC(sorry can't get the clicky)and you can get some ideas on how far you can get in three and a half days,comfortably.Please don't try to do too much.

I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we enjoy ours,we hire two or three times a year.

Fred.

Can I recommend that you buy yourself a guide book? We prefer the Pearson books as I think their entertaining (and useful) style suits a holiday. Others prefer Nicholsons. Either way, having some knowledge of what's around you and is coming up is really useful.

It makes a great memento afterwards too. The oily thumbmarks, the biscuit crumbs, the wine stains, the wrinkled edges from when it fell in the cut...

Richard

Guide books life a short but exciting life on Tawny Owl

More: Just read your original posting. Never mind, it must be useful advice as you've already taken it!

Edited by RLWP

I would head south for Anderton and Middlewich, you have only one lock before Middlewich, so plenty of chance to get used to handling the boat. Anderton is definitley worth a stop to look at the lift, plenty of moorings and a pub. Middlewich is about four hours further on so you that might be enough for another day, or you might carry on and turn right at the junction and lock up onto the Shroppie. The next section to Barbridge Junction (three or four hours) is a beautiful stretch with plenty of rural mooring opportunities, look out for the Shropshire Union Canal Society moorings where you'll be treated to short grass and mooring rings. There are a couple of pubs and moorings once you have turned left at Barbridge Junction, I would then cruise on for another half hour and turn right at Hurleston Junction up onto the Llangollen Canal. You should get as far as Wrenbury (about three hours) before turning round and retracing your steps (don't worry about this it all looks very different going the other way!. Again it is a lovely rural cruise up to Wrenbury with quite a few of thoe SUCS mooring sites.

Take your time and enjoy it, don't worry about destinations it's the getting there that is so enjoyable.

Hi FPMP,

Well, Mrs H and I hired from Claymoore and had a great time, although there were one or two minor problems with the boats/contents (and I do mean minor) as I found when speaking with others. If you end up with Beeston Castle (the Beest)then make sure that you run the engines until the batteries are as charged as possible. Even then, come the morning, you may find that the toaster trips the inverter and the batteries are run down. Use the grill!! One other hassle we discovered, in the middle of nowhere, was that the salt and pepper pots had no salt and pepper!! Minor, I know, but I do like my pepper!.

Over a fortnight Mrs H and I did the 4C lasso from Preston Brook. Looking at our log on here, heading south down the Trent and Mersey you could probably get to Red Bull station outside Stoke (a decent pub for a meal as well) before turning back. If you take the branch off at Middlewich towards the Shroppie you could probably get to either the bottom or (if you feel really fit) top of the Audlem flight or partway up the Llan. If you go that way I would suggest the bottom of the flight, a pleasant time in the Shroppie Fly and a walk up to the top of the flight.

As far as two beginners doing it? Well, Mrs H is disabled and (as I discovered, too late to do anything about it)also suffers from both mild vertigo and claustoaphobia but was the one who had to drive through the locks. She managed it and we are sure you will.

What do you need? Well, I don't know the state of the insect life in October, but as much insect repellent as possible as the horseflies are big b@stards!! Apparently Avon Skin So Soft is the cream of choice. Take at least two pairs of footwear because, if one pair gets wet, they get really wet!! (Gas Mark 1 for half an hour in the oven is good for drying out). Waterproofs that ARE waterproof (those on the boat will leak in the end), and clothing for layers. Plenty of socks. I would also take an umbrella. As others have said take enough food for a couple of days and never, ever, run out of either milk or alcohol (as Dr Feelgood may say)!! Use a clear plastic sandwich or freezer bag to put your canal guide in so it does not get damaged if it is chucking it down but you can still read it. Take two empty plastic milk cartons, with the tops cut off, to put over your stakes (better than plastic bags). We were also not supplied with piling hooks so you will need the lump hammer provided as you will always be using stakes...so don't lose it! Do NOT forget to take a camera...we took over 600 shots in a fortnight. Fill up with water every couple of days.

Heading south you will be taken through both the tunnel and the stop lock and will receive full instruction. Be careful of a corner just after bridge 201 on the second day (one of the scraps on the hull may be from us not being aware of it...ouch!!). We also found it helpful to remove the life ring from on top of the hatch when driving as it improved the sightline. If in doubt about anything, just ask a boater as, by and large, they are really helpful. I know people have said stop at Anderton but we were not that impressed and, over a week, I would make use of the time to drive the boat rather than sightsee. You can drive to the sights in a car in the future.

Above all else be prepared to be in pain...your sides will hurt from laughing so much. You will have a great time!! We envy you!

Hello everybody!

Many many thanks for all the hints, tips, advice, and blogs we've received, and in particular the journey information; we were wondering about that.

I see what you mean; what a funny lot you are: I had no idea that people who are hooked on canals would be into the computer age!

Anyhow, I've taken the advice and booked a course: it is the inland waterways helmsmans, it's a 1 day course costing £150, well I am in London and it is 2010! It is on the Thames at Hampton Court-next Thursday. So if any of you are about, please beware, I am the bloke who looks like a big fat pie holding on for dear life! Up till now, I thought the Thames was a river that had a varsity race on it once a year, with no idea that this other world existed.

We've started a list with things we should be taking with us, pinned to the fridge it's already two pages long, and includes a lump hammer, pepper and salt, blankets, and a hip flask (not yet filled) and it is still growing.

Anyway, here's hoping all goes well, we're already thinking about buying our own boat!

Once again, many many thanks for all the assistance,

Kind regards,

Anne and fatpiemanpaul

I would add, starting from Claymoore in October do an out and back, do not be tempted by any rings and especially not the four counties, as you are well over a days cruise from it. basically go out at whatever pace suites and turn round Tuesday lunchtime (try and plan it that you don't pass a winding hole at 11am, with the next one four hours further on!). If you come back faster than you went out, overshoot the yard at the end of your holiday

Well, Mrs H and I hired from Claymoore and had a great time, although there were one or two minor problems with the boats/contents (and I do mean minor) as I found when speaking with others. If you end up with Beeston Castle (the Beest)then make sure that you run the engines until the batteries are as charged as possible. Even then, come the morning, you may find that the toaster trips the inverter and the batteries are run down. Use the grill!! One other hassle we discovered, in the middle of nowhere, was that the salt and pepper pots had no salt and pepper!! Minor, I know, but I do like my pepper!.

Did you expect them to be full?

Personally, I would expect that salt, pepper, tea, coffee, butter receptacles would be something that I should fill!

Did you expect them to be full?

Personally, I would expect that salt, pepper, tea, coffee, butter receptacles would be something that I should fill!

The specs said that there was salt, pepper, tea and coffee on board. We had the latter (and sugar) but they were destroyed in the Great Ribena Disaster!

One other recommendation for items to take is a pair of collapsable canvas/plastic chairs. Nothing beats sitting on the towpath or stern of the boat with a glass or two!

Hello everybody!

Many many thanks for all the hints, tips, advice, and blogs we've received, and in particular the journey information; we were wondering about that.

I see what you mean; what a funny lot you are: I had no idea that people who are hooked on canals would be into the computer age!

Anyhow, I've taken the advice and booked a course: it is the inland waterways helmsmans, it's a 1 day course costing £150, well I am in London and it is 2010! It is on the Thames at Hampton Court-next Thursday. So if any of you are about, please beware, I am the bloke who looks like a big fat pie holding on for dear life! Up till now, I thought the Thames was a river that had a varsity race on it once a year, with no idea that this other world existed.

We've started a list with things we should be taking with us, pinned to the fridge it's already two pages long, and includes a lump hammer, pepper and salt, blankets, and a hip flask (not yet filled) and it is still growing.

Anyway, here's hoping all goes well, we're already thinking about buying our own boat!

Once again, many many thanks for all the assistance,

Kind regards,

Anne and fatpiemanpaul

Hello again...just seen this post of yours after my reply above and you do not need to pack a lump hammer...there will be one on the boat!! I also recall that there are blankets on the boat (we did not need them) and the boat does have central heating. They are surprisingly cozy.

Although one will be provided can I also suggest an extra toilet roll or two as well! Basically, view your packing as if you are going to stay in a cottage for a week, albeit one that floats and moves. I would also suggest, instead of suitcases, to take your stuff in those plastic washing/laundry bags you can get from the pound shops. Once unpacked they are really easy to store and take little space up.

The main thing is not to be taken unawares by the weather in late October.

You may be able to go round the shops or work in the garden in chinos and sweatshirt but standing still on the back of a boat for a couple of hours is very different.

I recommend thick socks and wellies or walking boots.

Waterproof trousers - they're also windproof.

Waterproof jacket with hood.

Thin warm gloves and a pair of Marigolds big enough to go over the top.

Scarf and fleece or wooly hat.

Umbrella.

Put warm clothing on BEFORE you get cold.

Stay warm and dry and you'll have a great holiday.

Get wet or cold and you'll be miserable!

On our first holiday we noticed lots of people wearing Akubra type hats when steering in the rain.

My husband used this as an excuse to buy one for this years holiday and it did prove extremely useful. It stops the rain going down your neck.

Also don't forget to bring a torch. Handy when you are stumbling back along the towpath at night after a few beers!