Good boating practice

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

We had a go at driving a very similar boat to that with joystick steering. We found it quite odd to drive. The flybridge cruiser we drove with joystick steering felt very much more natural to use. Not sure why maybe it is the boat type.

I think that is about the measure of it.

Different tyes of boat suit different ways of steering.

You could argue that this guy is standing still with a grip on his boat and tiller and hasn't got a problem with the height, it has also been said he is not affecting anyone else by doing this

but

if the "nannies" see this it could raise ugly issues like barriers on the other side or needing a special requirements to go over the aqueduct.

I stood just inside the doors when I went over, no matter how unlikely it is to suddenly fall off the counter you wouldn't put yourself at risk would you?

Kev

...or legs sticking out and divide by two?...

I was working on the presumption that the bodies would be removed - but maybe if they were left it would help with the more accurate counting of the number of incidents....

Can't be too careful.

If he falls, he might land in the river below.

ahh both it is then

ps what about a hard hat?

You could argue that this guy is standing still with a grip on his boat and tiller and hasn't got a problem with the height, it has also been said he is not affecting anyone else by doing this

but

if the "nannies" see this it could raise ugly issues like barriers on the other side or needing a special requirements to go over the aqueduct.

I stood just inside the doors when I went over, no matter how unlikely it is to suddenly fall off the counter you wouldn't put yourself at risk would you?

Kev

I love the feeling of floating through thin air - my pics look like Keeping Up's!

Yep, we should all be whispering our arguments in case the new World Heritage designated aqueduct gets subjected to a Manchester-esque glass wall to stop plummeting boaters disturbing the canoeists or footballers below. I was hit by at least three falling boaters last time I paddled under there - tis terribly dangerous! Or maybe they can just install nets?

I loop my rope over the tiller in front of the tiller pin, and will continue to do so even if it's not 'done'. Short of it unravelling in some bizarre manner, I think it very unlikely it will drop off. And when I'm trying to moor up, especially single handed, find it a lot less dangerous to quickly take hold of my 'dangerously' stored rope than to faff about fetching it off the roof or wherever, and bend down to attach it to the dollies before stepping ashore. I learned my lesson early about leaving ropes on the back deck when I jammed the prop when going into a lock on the Thames. Very messy, embarrassing and potentially dangerous if I'd been furthter back towards the weir.

Trad sterns and standing behind the tiller though.... shudder!!

If you are aware of the danger, surely you wouldn't stand there, as this is not a risk over which you have any control or can predict.

Its a known risk which is very rare and as such I wouldnt normally stand infront of the tiller arc when going forwards, I do however occaisionaly stand within the arc when doing a long stint at the helm in order to relieve repetative standing or sitting in one position.

The risk is very low.

I am aware of the dangers of flying but am still happy to climb aboard an apparantly servicable aircraft over which i have no control.

Several people have been killed and injured by falling and getting caught by the prop. Just because it doesn't happen every day doesn't mean it never happens.

Sue

Could you point to where all these deaths are documented. I know of only one where the unfortunate gentleman was swept overboard by the tiller while reversing into the bank

faff about fetching it off the roof or wherever,

It takes me far less time to pick the rope off the cabin slide and put it on the dolly on the side I want it as I'm stepping off than it would take to get a rope off the tiller even assuming it has sat there well-behaved.

And it's ready to throw should that be needed too.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

I am sorry he is causing a hazard for someone else. The people who have to clear up after an accident. The picture shows an accident about to happen. The loose ropes if they fall into the prop could well cause the tiller to move quickly. No one can guarantee that there is no debris in the channel to get caught on the prop. The boat in front could stop and the second boat would have to reverse to avoid hitting him, again sending the tiller over.

Several people have been killed and injured by falling and getting caught by the prop. Just because it doesn't happen every day doesn't mean it never happens.

Sue

I cant see how he is causing a hazard for anyone else...you refer to the people clearing up after an accident....it isn't a hazard to them, probably an inconvenience, yes, but not a hazard. Generally speaking, the people who clear up after an accident are professionals, it is their job, for which they get paid for and probably assess any risks associated with the job beforehand. The only way I could see him being a hazard to anyone else would be if the people waiting to clear up his accident (or any other unfortunate souls ) are waiting directly below him at the moment he falls.....highly unlikely, therefore a tolerable risk!

Edited by daves6guitars

I cant see how he is causing a hazard for anyone else...you refer to the people clearing up after an accident....it isn't a hazard to them, probably an inconvenience, yes, but not a hazard. Generally speaking, the people who clear up after an accident are professionals, it is their job, for which they get paid for and probably assess any risks associated with the job beforehand. The only way I could see him being a hazard to anyone else would be if the people waiting to clear up his accident are waiting directly below him at the moment he falls.....highly unlikely, therefore a tolerable risk!

Bad taste edit...hadn't clocked post no. 60

Edited by MJG

I think then somebody should count the number of dents in the field below...

...or legs sticking out and divide by two?...

I was working on the presumption that the bodies would be removed - but maybe if they were left it would help with the more accurate counting of the number of incidents....ahh both it is thenps what about a hard hat?

I love the feeling of floating through thin air - my pics look like Keeping Up's! Yep, we should all be whispering our arguments in case the new World Heritage designated aqueduct gets subjected to a Manchester-esque glass wall to stop plummeting boaters disturbing the canoeists or footballers below. I was hit by at least three falling boaters last time I paddled under there - tis terribly dangerous! Or maybe they can just install nets?

The only way I could see him being a hazard to anyone else would be if the people waiting to clear up his accident (or any other unfortunate souls ) are waiting directly below him at the moment he falls.....highly unlikely, therefore a tolerable risk!

He's got a side fender down too! I think we should throw him off the aqueduct

My friend Steve sent me this photograph at the same time as the guy behind the tiller...

flowersx.png

So, did the guy make it across?

If so - his decisions were demonstrably correct. Wittering on about Could Have, Should Have, omg THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!! is just a sign of impending dementia. Let the guy live his life.

The Aquaduct may suddenly collapse sending everyone plummetting to the ground, The steerer may suddenly be struck by lightening and fallow over into the abyss,

I dont see it as an accident about to happen

Some accidents are preventable and some aren't

Sue

Its a known risk which is very rare and as such I wouldnt normally stand infront of the tiller arc when going forwards, I do however occaisionaly stand within the arc when doing a long stint at the helm in order to relieve repetative standing or sitting in one position.

The risk is very low.

I am aware of the dangers of flying but am still happy to climb aboard an apparantly servicable aircraft over which i have no control.

Could you point to where all these deaths are documented. I know of only one where the unfortunate gentleman was swept overboard by the tiller while reversing into the bank

I personally know a gentleman who survived but had his throat and face sliced. A women hire boater died some years ago by falling off the back. So with yours that is three.

Sue

I cant see how he is causing a hazard for anyone else...you refer to the people clearing up after an accident....it isn't a hazard to them, probably an inconvenience, yes, but not a hazard. Generally speaking, the people who clear up after an accident are professionals, it is their job, for which they get paid for and probably assess any risks associated with the job beforehand. The only way I could see him being a hazard to anyone else would be if the people waiting to clear up his accident (or any other unfortunate souls ) are waiting directly below him at the moment he falls.....highly unlikely, therefore a tolerable risk!

How many accidents have you cleared up? My husband was a professional and it affected him. Professionals are human and have feelings they aren't a different race.

Sue

I would have been on the step with the back doors securely closed behind me - but who am I to comment? Accidents happen . . .

I would have been in the saloon with the curtains closed and SWMBO steering !!

Wimp? No, she is quite brave, except when spiders are involved.

Keith

Some accidents are preventable and some aren't

Sue

I personally know a gentleman who survived but had his throat and face sliced. A women hire boater died some years ago by falling off the back. So with yours that is three.

Sue

How many accidents have you cleared up? My husband was a professional and it affected him. Professionals are human and have feelings they aren't a different race.

Sue

Dont remember saying anything about them not having feelings...I said it was their job...and it's their humanity that guides them to choose to do it.