Tunnel lights - request 2

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

I wish to buy a tunnel light for the back of the boat.

On a previous boat, I had one which was perfect. It lived in a cupboard and could be brought out and placed on the cabin roof at the back when going through a tunnel. It plugged into a 12v socket on the boat roof, could by directed as required and stayed put through magnetism. Can such still be bought? From whom?

Many thanks.

On a previous boat, I had one which was perfect. It lived in a cupboard and could be brought out and placed on the cabin roof at the back when going through a tunnel. It plugged into a 12v socket on the boat roof, could by directed as required and stayed put through magnetism. Can such still be bought? From whom?

Many thanks.

I'm intrigued now. Why do you want to put a light on the back of the boat when in a tunnel?

Do you mean you will use this light to point forwards from the back of the boat and illuminate the way, or you will point it backwards at boats following you? I imagine the former, but why? Most boats have their tunnel lights in the front.

Is it perhaps easier to steer with the light positioned on the back of the boat because the steerer can more easily see the length of the boat and exactly where it is pointing? I must say in the few tunnels we've navigated I found steering a lot more difficult than in daylight, what with the boat roof being in total darkness.

Mike

I'm intrigued now. Why do you want to put a light on the back of the boat when in a tunnel?

Do you mean you will use this light to point forwards from the back of the boat and illuminate the way, or you will point it backwards at boats following you? I imagine the former, but why? Most boats have their tunnel lights in the front.

Is it perhaps easier to steer with the light positioned on the back of the boat because the steerer can more easily see the length of the boat and exactly where it is pointing? I must say in the few tunnels we've navigated I found steering a lot more difficult than in daylight, what with the boat roof being in total darkness.

Mike

The light at the back will be in addition to the one at the front; I just rather like looking at the roof formation of a tunnel as I travel through; I expect the light is a comfort, too, as I'm not brilliant in the dark and would be horrified were the front light to fail in a long tunnel.

Many thanks.

Vehicle Wiring Products have this one I use http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/lighting/photo/053856.jpg

Absolutely brilliant for tunnels, especially like Harecastle where it gets lower and lower. Seeing the profile of the tunnel from the back of the boat is a great help and compliments the front mounted tunnel light

Cheers

Ark Right

I like this idea, but hav'nt got the necessary 12v socket.

I know very little about electrickery so can you get a transformer to run them from the mains?

Tony

You would need a 1¾ mile long extension cable in Harecastle to run a light from the mains ............ sorry, I couldn't resist...........

But seriously, I am surprised that you don't have any 12 volt sockets on your boat. A few cigar lighter sockets are much handier for charging mobile phones etc, rather than using an inverter. It should only cost a few quid to install a couple of 12 volt sockets.

But seriously, I am surprised that you don't have any 12 volt sockets on your boat.

I am not, if I had not specified them then my boat would not have had them.

Having 24v, my 12v sockets are wired to the starter battery, suitably fused.

he sockets are of the 'din' type much better than the 'cigar' lighter type fitted to most cars.

I like this idea, but hav'nt got the necessary 12v socket.

I know very little about electrickery so can you get a transformer to run them from the mains?

Tony

You almost certainly don't need one. Your boat electrics are highly likely to be 12V dc already. Most narrowboats are.

The domestic 12V dc system will power an inverter which creates the 240v mains power you mention. The 12V dc lamp just needs a 12v cigarette light socket which is connected to the 12V dc system. It's a simple job for a competent marine technician to install one. (And still simple even for an INcompetent technician!)

Mike

You could also rig up a car spotlight that is powered by a longish cable connected to a couple of crocodile clips, and connect them directly to battery terminals.

I use such an arrangement, except I do have a fag lighter socket I can use.

I prefer to have a light at the back of the boat that I can control. I also have a bow mounted tunnel light (an ex Cat D9 dozer headlight), but this isn't quite as effective.

But, hey (innovative idea). Why not use a powerful torch?

Tone

You could also rig up a car spotlight that is powered by a longish cable connected to a couple of crocodile clips, and connect them directly to battery terminals.

Please don't use a car spot-light, as these throw a long powerful narrow beam that illuminates the tunnel too far ahead of you, and blinds on-coming steerers.

If using an automotive light, please try and acquire only fog lights that throw a wider short range beam. Apart from not blinding on-comng steerers, you will also find they illuminate the bit of the tunnel arch you need to see, (i.e. close to the light), rather than leaving the bot near the boat dark, and throwing the light where it is not helpful.

Please don't use a car spot-light, as these throw a long powerful narrow beam that illuminates the tunnel too far ahead of you, and blinds on-coming steerers.

If using an automotive light, please try and acquire only fog lights that throw a wider short range beam. Apart from not blinding on-comng steerers, you will also find they illuminate the bit of the tunnel arch you need to see, (i.e. close to the light), rather than leaving the bot near the boat dark, and throwing the light where it is not helpful.

I am glad you make this point having been through several two way tunnels recently I find more and more boaters have lights that dazzle oncoming boaters. Either wrong type of spot and/or badly positioned.

Dekker

Almosy nothing worse than a spot light point straight down to tunnel, I have suffered these many times. :angry:

What has caught me out is a boat with a rear mounted tunnel light in a misty tunnel (Wast Hill) when suddenly out of the mist I see the front of a boat about 60ft before I was expecting it :o

Whilst moaning about lights, don't you love hire boats with kids and a 3,000,000 candle power torch :captain:

When the cratch was being rebuilt, so that the 1950s lorry foglight was not in place at the fore-end, I G-clamped it the pigeon box.

I reckoned it was better there, on the basis that one can see the position of the whole boat in the arch.

But Jakes owners preferred the original position so it went back on the cratch.

The light at the back will be in addition to the one at the front; I just rather like looking at the roof formation of a tunnel as I travel through; I expect the light is a comfort, too, as I'm not brilliant in the dark and would be horrified were the front light to fail in a long tunnel.

That's OK then. I once spent quite a few minutes at a one way tunnel watching this approaching headlight only to find that eventually it left backwards out of the other end. The previous boater in my direction was displaying a rear facing white light.

Before a pedant strikes...Yes I know you have to have one at sea etc but we are on a ditch not in the middle of the Atlantic.

George ex nb Alton retired

First time through Braunston we used a head torch = Peny sat on the front and it was enough to steer ny,

Since then we have rigged a spot light, but poiny it at the roof approx 20 ft in front of the bow..

and use a candle lamp ay the rear to provide enough light to see a few things and hopefully that the folks behind see it and dont rear end us,,,, ( unlikely but a rear light does help maintain a suitable distance or spot the man in front when he breaks down)..

Ive since bought an led torch thats like a limpet (magnetic base) great light but noy blinding - 3.99

no wires required

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, point taken. I always use mine angled up on to the tunnel roof anyway, but it is handy for picking out and photographing features like stalactites and interconnecting passages (Standedge).

Tone