Do you remember your First Lock?

Grebe

Featured Posts

Our first lock was at Hilmorton- in a Clifton Cruisers hire boat - we arrived, and before we could say 'we're waiting for the hire boat co reps to talk us through it' - we were marshalled in by a very impatient and forceful chap in a boiler suit,cravat and cap and his diaphinous wife who were 'late for a dinner appointment' in their shiny boat with full bling engine room. Matters were made worse for them by our ineptitude and lack of experience which was stopping them making their rightful progress.

Needless to say he nearly put us off for life with his fussing, crazy instructions and unbridled criticism of us whilst he made us stand on the lock side holding the bow and stern mooring ropes as he opened all the paddles without a moments hesitation, care for the boat or lock gates, us,or a by your leave...a total utter b*st*rd...

Holiday was saved by the fact that he was the exception - and everyone else we met was the personification of all that was good about boating - friendly, polite really helpful and keen to share their knowledge.

Hillmorton Bottom (can't remember if it was 2 or 3) July 1969. Having started off at Maidboats Brinklow (Now Rose Narrowboats Stretton Stop) in Maid Mary Shuna, with my Old Dears and school mate Ian Scott (who still occasionally boats with us).

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Hol_69/index.html

First Lock under my command was Cholmondeston Lock on the Middlewich Arm July 1972, Hiring a Dawncraft Dandy from Ladyline at Barbridge.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Hol_72/index.html

Highlights of this trip was getting to the real end of the Llangollen, doing the Llangollen in a day and forcing an evening passage through Thurlwood Steel Lock.

Our first was the on the way up the Brades, We bought our boat from Withymoor Island and took it to Richard Hurleys place at oldbury Boat services, maiden trip was through Netherton tunnel and out to oldbury, hooked ever since......

Top lock of the Tardebigge flight, having hired a boat from Brummagem Boats on Oozels Street Loop. A chap turned up to tell us we didn't need ropes, and down we went to Worcester. My back went half way, but fortunately we had an enthusiastic (but diminutive) crew. By the time we reached the Severn, we were old hands. I'm still learning, thirty years later.

Mac

By coincidence this was my first lock also on a Brummagen boats hire boat (Brittanic)

We had been told that there was a pub at the top lock but not finding one we decided to carry on down 20 locks to Stoke Prior in the dark (We were young and stupid!). I was given the tiller and promptly attempted to take the boat in sideways sending the cooker flying - smuch to the chargin of the girl cooking our tea!

Tim

By coincidence this was my first lock also on a Brummagen boats hire boat (Brittanic)

We had been told that there was a pub at the top lock but not finding one we decided to carry on down 20 locks to Stoke Prior in the dark (We were young and stupid!). I was given the tiller and promptly attempted to take the boat in sideways sending the cooker flying - smuch to the chargin of the girl cooking our tea!

Tim

Night boating in hireboats was good practice from when you had to do it in your own boat!

First Lock under my command was Cholmondeston Lock on the Middlewich Arm July 1972, Hiring a Dawncraft Dandy from Ladyline at Barbridge.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Hol_72/index.html

Highlights of this trip was getting to the real end of the Llangollen, doing the Llangollen in a day and forcing an evening passage through Thurlwood Steel Lock.

When did Thurlwood Steel lock cease to be workable ?

I ask, because by no later than the mid 1970s (I think ?), it was derelict and locked out of use, surely ?

When did Thurlwood Steel lock cease to be workable ?

I ask, because by no later than the mid 1970s (I think ?), it was derelict and locked out of use, surely ?

Well...in July 1972 it was kinda locked, but workable...a bit like Harlam Hill Lock in July 2002. :P

Our first lock was operated for us, but then it was supposed to be: it was on the Canal du Nivernais where we hired a cabin cruiser in August 1994. Our first UK lock must have been whichever one is nearest to Wyvern Shipping at Linslade, summer 1995. Throughout that holiday we opened both gates at every lock (they are broad locks) even if we were the only boat going in - we just could not comprehend how a boat could ever get in or out with just one gate open!

Picked up the boat and we were given an introduction to the controls. After a quarter of an hour we chugged to Beeston Iron Lock No 34 where we watched in awe as a couple of boats made their way through the lock. We searched out the lock windlass before plucking up courage to make our first attempt. Another boat came along some time later. They took pity and also took the time to make sure we could understand what was happening. They also made us aware of the cill marker and what could happen. We then moored up for a cup of tea, before proceeding any further! We made it all the way to Chester and back unscathed. The canal boat bug bit and this is the result today.

My first lock was at Stoke Bruerne on a warm day with lots of tourists watching. I jumped off the narrowboat but forgot to put her in neutral, and she carried on without me and crashed noisily into the lock. The next lock went well, but I crashed into another boat when leaving it. I've got much much better since then.

Cant remember the name of my first lock but we picked the boat up from March in cambridge and headed up the Nene towards Shropshire.

Crew of 3 and none of us have ever been on a boat before.

Best 2 weeks of my life bringing the boat home :)

Anyone know what lock was my first then?

Cant remember the name of my first lock but we picked the boat up from March in cambridge and headed up the Nene towards Shropshire.

Crew of 3 and none of us have ever been on a boat before.

Best 2 weeks of my life bringing the boat home :)

Anyone know what lock was my first then?

Ashline Lock at Whittlesey.

Dscn3340.jpg

First Lock - Hull Docks on the way to Rotterdam. They wouldn't let me steer. About 1970. Second lock - somewhere near Bourghbridge about the same time in a rubber dingy. I was allowed to steer that time because I had a kind girlfriend and it was her boat. Third Lock - Crinan Canal.

It wasn't until about 1980 I got hold of a narrowboat when I was working with a local community narrowboat so it was probably Salterhebble.

While I was at school (millions of years ago), we picked up "Jennet" from Market Harborough.

Thought, 'This is easy, I could get the hang of this...'

Then we arrived at Foxton.

Gulp !!

I'm so glad my best mate Chris knew what to do. It was his parents' friends' boat, and we had many delightful holidays from then on (and half a honeymoon too).