Just Lit The Stove

Dovetail

Featured Posts

Sir Nibble is NESH! :lol:

I refer the honourable member to the post above and respectfully submit that if the cap fits, wear it.

Im sure most do, us included, but has it really been that cold just yet?

An entirely subjective judgement which I can only make for where I am at any given time, where you are? How could I possibly venture an opinion. I have not used heating yet this year except to demist the car but I have been woken by cold two or three times this month.

I cannot concieve of any circumstances where I would sit in the cold and subject my family to discomfort because some idiot macho w*nker with seriously scewed priorities (not you Carl, just railing against the attitude in general)who isn't here may consider me "nesh". Summers are now all but extinct and last 6 weeks at best, I use my heating at home and aboard according to the thermometer not the calendar.

Does anyone really (seriously) think that, though?

I don't feel the cold but I know many people do and I don't think there is any geographical significance in the distribution of "neshness".

My Mum doesn't feel the cold, either, but I'll hazard a guess that my Dad's been wearing his long-johns, to work, for a couple of weeks, now.

The fight for the thermostat will begin, in our house, any time now, usually ending in me retiring to my shed, where I can open a window to let the winter in and Swmbo can sit indoors wrapped in her blanket, central heating belting the heat out, while she looks at the "giant slipper" ads, in the Sunday supplements.

I don't feel the cold but I know many people do and I don't think there is any geographical significance in the distribution of "neshness".

My Mum doesn't feel the cold, either, but I'll hazard a guess that my Dad's been wearing his long-johns, to work, for a couple of weeks, now.

The fight for the thermostat will begin, in our house, any time now, usually ending in me retiring to my shed, where I can open a window to let the winter in and Swmbo can sit indoors wrapped in her blanket, central heating belting the heat out, while she looks at the "giant slipper" ads, in the Sunday supplements.

I haven't implied any.

Cold and of course heat seems to be one area where some people seem to feel empowered to impose their feelings upon others. It's baffling and unacceptable. On those rare occasions when someone gives it some along the lines of "what's up with you, it's not cold" the only reaction is "but out and fu<k off".

Nesh FTW on our boat. Horribly damp here in Goring, cooked risotto last night and didn't fancy sitting on a dank boat with steamed up windows. So we put the stove on for the first time since May, had roast garlic and aubergine risotto and a bottle of Rioja. Lovely.

:lol:

Luckily the OH and I both feel the cold in the same way. No fights over the thermostat in our house or boat. The OH's mum and sister both feel the cold though and im sure will have had the heating on for weeks by now. They will of course moan when the winters fuel bills arrive though :lol:

Over sensitive to the cold.

A Northern expression usually used in a sentence such as "You're just a bunch of nesh, blouse wearing, southern softies!"

Funny, most of the early posters seem to hail from 'up Norf'... :lol:

Never mind firing up the heating, I should really fit some windows first I suppose...

My last comment was just there to wind up... But seriously if you're cold you light your fire, if you're not you don't need too. Simples.

All those who say you're nesh if your cold should remove all forms of heating on their boat :lol:

Nesh FTW on our boat. Horribly damp here in Goring, cooked risotto last night and didn't fancy sitting on a dank boat with steamed up windows. So we put the stove on for the first time since May, had roast garlic and aubergine risotto and a bottle of Rioja. Lovely.

Opening the windows to ventilate the boat would soon get rid of the steamed up windows of course :lol:

I haven't implied any.

Cold and of course heat seems to be one area where some people seem to feel empowered to impose their feelings upon others. It's baffling and unacceptable. On those rare occasions when someone gives it some along the lines of "what's up with you, it's not cold" the only reaction is "but out and fu<k off".

No I did, but only in jest.

If we didn't all want to "impose" our feelings, or opinions, on others, why would we bother contributing to a discussion forum?

I don't think anyone really comments on someone's hardiness, or fragility, except in jest or concern, unless it directly effects them (which is why I hide in the shed).

In the same way that a thread concerning tea, and whether a cup should be washed, or not, dragged on for several pages but there was no great animosity between the "washer-uppers" and the wise people who prefer tannin stains.

Give me a cuppa that tastes like Fairy Liquid, though, and you'll soon feel my wrath...

Well I think it's an excellent word to describe what I suffer from, and I am happy to appropriate it rather than feel insulted. I hate hate hate the cold. Neshes of the world unite. Sadly we can no longer worship at the great temple of Damart, however.

Edited by Chertsey

Luckily the OH and I both feel the cold in the same way. No fights over the thermostat in our house or boat.

People should take more notice of this sort of thing when hitching up. Also similar leg lengths so that you don't need to move the car seat when the OH has been driving it. Extra points for not needing to move mirrors either. I did OK on this, but omitted to take care when having children. No 1 has just passed her driving test and now I get my kneecaps removed by the steering column every time I get into the car.

MP.

People should take more notice of this sort of thing when hitching up. Also similar leg lengths so that you don't need to move the car seat when the OH has been driving it. Extra points for not needing to move mirrors either. I did OK on this, but omitted to take care when having children. No 1 has just passed her driving test and now I get my kneecaps removed by the steering column every time I get into the car.

MP.

Have you been spying on us? :lol:

(No need to ove car seats or mirrors)

You seem to be very angry today Snib.... :lol:

Sorry mate, cards on the table, as a native of regions so far to the south I would drown if I walked another mile that way I really have had it to the back teeth with the whole "southern softies" thing. I appreciate that few mean it seriously but like any other "joke" repeated year on year ad nauseum it has become a bloody irritation. We have painters in at work at the moment and one of them told me he feels like commiting murder every time someone says "you can come round and do my house" because where it might have been funny once after 20 years it's like the chinese water torture. So, I'm a southerner me, if you really think that accident of geography makes me "soft", you are a retard. If you don't believe it but think it's funny to suggest it AGAIN! you are a humourless retard.

I do presume by the way that northerners love all the black pudding flat cap and whippet stereotypes, either that or my point will be well understood.

Sheesh! I am coming over as a grump today, bloody migraine on and off like a strobe for most of the week.

Sorry mate, cards on the table, as a native of regions so far to the south I would drown if I

I do presume by the way that northerners love all the black pudding flat cap and whippet stereotypes, either that or my point will be well understood.

Sheesh! I am coming over as a grump today, bloody migraine on and off like a strobe for most of the week.

So the myth that us Northerners are all grumpy, miserable, tight gits would be just as irritating, if the myth was true?

Lighten up, at least you're down there with your own kind so it doesn't happen that often.

Living here in the Midlands I get Northerner/Yorkshire jokes, on average, two or three times a day but take it in my stride, secure in the knowledge that they don't mean it and they're only jealous because they know that they talk funny and are rubbish at racing pigeons.

And no, I don't mind the black pudding, flat cap and whippet stereotypes.

We were born with thicker skin, up North, which is probably why WE'RE NOT NESH LIKE YOU BLUMMING SOUTHERNERS!

Edited by carlt

Understood.

Now understand this. Whether it is meant as a joke, harmless banter or any other disarming phrase if the object of the comment finds it annoying, distressing, demeaning or hurtful then it's not acceptable. That my friend is my last word.

Sorry but you're wrong.

If you really take such offence at harmless jokes about how nesh Southerners are then you really do need to avoid all forms of human contact.

I'm here for my entertainment, not yours, and, though I am accused repeatedly of being in the "PC brigade" I really think you are taking it to an extreme that I have no intention of respecting.

If you don't want to read such harmless jokes then please, put me on your ignore list because I am really warming up.

What about us lot in the middle...

If you're not Northern, you're Southern.

Now wrap up warm, it's getting well parky out there. :lol:

Edited by carlt

Sorry but you're wrong.

Sorry but I'm right. This is not some idiot opinion, it is accepted as part of modern anti discriminatory practices and "safeguarding". If you really believe that continuing with a line of humour which a recipient has told you is demeaning and hurtful on the grounds that your belief trumps their feelings then you are a bully. But you're not are you, so what you need to do here is practice a little empathy. Would a round of jokes concerning the ridicule of your son's difference be acceptable?

I find this hurtful, not because I choose to but because that's the way it makes me feel.